Hero1
12-11-2006, 02:05 AM
http://www.davolunteers.com/audio/DA_VOLUNTEERS-My_Time2.m3u

by da volunteers from memphis

Wheeljak
12-11-2006, 02:35 AM
http://www.davolunteers.com/audio/DA_VOLUNTEERS-My_Time2.m3u

by da volunteers from memphis

Is this what's passing off as a sample these days? That was a huge chunk of the track, and they didn't bother to be creative about using the sample. What a waste. There wasn't anything remotely special about their lyrics; I didn't hear a single clever turn of phrase, or anything that even comes close to originality. Same ol' tired material.
To quote the Autobot Jazz:
"Do it with style or don't bother doing it."

Oh, well... as long as PM Dawn gets paid, I guess it's all good.

Hero1
12-11-2006, 04:12 AM
Oh, well... as long as PM Dawn gets paid, I guess it's all good.

Are they getting paid?? :cool:

Cozmo D
12-11-2006, 05:13 AM
If they are, I hope it's HUGE!!! :D

Cozmo D
12-11-2006, 05:16 AM
Sounds like a mixtape though, which means dinero nada. :idunno:

Hero1
12-11-2006, 08:12 AM
albums on amazon tho..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/amabot/?pf_rd_url=%2Fo%2FASIN%2FB000JJRX8Y%2Fref%3Dpd_rvi _gw_1%2F104-7359226-0531908&pf_rd_p=263003901&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=507846&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09VMX6QSQ2D6VKX632NM

Wheeljak
12-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Sounds like a mixtape though, which means dinero nada. :idunno:
You're probably right, but money issues aside, these guys don't seem to be working very hard at their craft. Those Louisville guys (Get It Right Records) who made "Lindsay Lohan Freestyle" a coupla years ago have no backing at all that I know of (Da Volunteers have 8 Ball & MJG producing them), yet Get It Right Records' songs have more appeal than anything Da Volunteers have available for listening at their site.
I will say, though, that Da Volunteers' Jackie Chan was funny. Make sure you check that out.

And by the way, I hope this trend ends soon, where rappers talk for five minutes over the music before they start rapping. If they have so much to say, they shoulda written another rhyme.

Cozmo D
12-11-2006, 12:25 PM
You're probably right, but money issues aside, these guys don't seem to be working very hard at their craft. Those Louisville guys (Get It Right Records) who made "Lindsay Lohan Freestyle" a coupla years ago have no backing at all that I know of (Da Volunteers have 8 Ball & MJG producing them), yet Get It Right Records' songs have more appeal than anything Da Volunteers have available for listening at their site.
I will say, though, that Da Volunteers' Jackie Chan was funny. Make sure you check that out.

And by the way, I hope this trend ends soon, where rappers talk for five minutes over the music before they start rapping. If they have so much to say, they shoulda written another rhyme.

Can't argue with any of that. Hopefully it blows up and Be gets paid.

andy.danquah
12-11-2006, 03:42 PM
personally i think the mix is very good. but i can c what u haters b sayin. what we have is prince b singing about something so beautiful and tragic and singing it in his beautiful way; about missing his girl or ex-girl and having to fictionalise his world and imagine her emotions cos she is not with him...but these rappers are pissing all over it talkin bout getting money and hustling..i get that. but i like the beat. its tight.

Wheeljak
12-11-2006, 03:47 PM
personally i think the mix is very good. but i can c what u haters b sayin. what we have is prince b singing about something so beautiful and tragic and singing it in his beautiful way; about missing his girl or ex-girl and having to fictionalise his world and imagine her emotions cos she is not with him...but these rappers are pissing all over it talkin bout getting money and hustling..i get that. but i like the beat. its tight.
Are you representing Westside of Staines?:fingas:

Chief
12-11-2006, 04:36 PM
bwahahahahahahahahhahaha...........roflmao bwhahahhahahahhahahhah

Terrick
12-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Is this what's passing off as a sample these days? That was a huge chunk of the track, and they didn't bother to be creative about using the sample.

I agree! They basically just rapped over the entire first two verses. Yes, money = good, but the song still sucks. Although I agree with Andy that they're "pissing all over it talkin bout getting money and hustling", but I don't think there's anything good about the beat. It's not very creative at all; it sounds like every other beat on the radio.

atma
12-12-2006, 03:32 PM
yeah, what a pathetic track. i'd be embarrassed to sample something that blatantly and mindlessly

TrEEtheRealest
12-12-2006, 08:55 PM
I can't believe Be let Dr. Giggles rap over that sample! :eek: Oh...wait..that's not Dr. Giggles. Sorry.

<3 Pee the Fakest

DJ Detroit Butcher
12-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Goddamn that was 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Cozmo D
12-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I can't believe Be let Dr. Giggles rap over that sample! :eek: Oh...wait..that's not Dr. Giggles. Sorry.

<3 Pee the Fakest

:smokey:

Tshaw
12-12-2006, 11:31 PM
I'm so sick of all these fools now days talking about 2000-2001 as being back in the day or old school 5 or 6 years don't mean shit and it ain't old school!

Wheeljak
12-12-2006, 11:41 PM
I'm so sick of all these fools now days talking about 2000-2001 as being back in the day or old school 5 or 6 years don't mean shit and it ain't old school!
Are you shocked or something? Very few of today's musical artists (and even fewer of their fans) have any sense of history. For them, what came last year passes for history. You can't honestly expect them to have any regard for what came before they even knew what music was, because they still don't know what music is. A couple of years ago, I heard a song, I think it was called "Flip," that sampled Ms. Pac Man as a component of their beat. Ms. Pac Man! That's not imaginative; it's just plain dumb.

Tshaw
12-12-2006, 11:49 PM
not shocked just sick and tired of hearing it.

TrEEtheRealest
12-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Are you shocked or something? Very few of today's musical artists (and even fewer of their fans) have any sense of history. For them, what came last year passes for history. You can't honestly expect them to have any regard for what came before they even knew what music was, because they still don't know what music is. A couple of years ago, I heard a song, I think it was called "Flip," that sampled Ms. Pac Man as a component of their beat. Ms. Pac Man! That's not imaginative; it's just plain dumb.

Most people I know who rap have no clue about the history of it. Most will say they know who Rakim is (probably because Magazines always declare him one of the best rappers ever), but they have no clue who Eric B. is. They have no idea who any artists are..even from the 90s when they were alive! I've read many interviews with modern rappers and there were a few who said they don't care about the old school and where hip hop came from. They said they were only in it to make "the paper".

Bonkman
12-13-2006, 02:32 PM
...They said they were only in it to make "the paper".

Which goes right along with what the music business corporate conglomerates and the RIAA want...money. Screw the rest, eh?

Right now, for me, all the music on the radio is boring.

All the rap and Hip Hop artists are stuck on the "crunk" beats. Blah...boring and old now.

All the rock and "alternative" rock bands still sound the same as they did 5 years ago.

Pop music is a joke. Timberlake, Stephani, etc...their current "hits" bore me.

I think we're in a low swing as far as music goes right now. I'm waiting for the next big "sound" that will reinvigorate it.

Wheeljak
12-13-2006, 03:34 PM
How dare you bad-mouth Justin Timberlake? He's bringing sexy back.:haha:

Harmeister
12-13-2006, 04:43 PM
How dare you bad-mouth Justin Timberlake? He's bringing sexy back.:haha:

yeah, but he sure don't know how to act.

Cozmo D
12-13-2006, 07:39 PM
I've read many interviews with modern rappers and there were a few who said they don't care about the old school and where hip hop came from. They said they were only in it to make "the paper".

Which goes right along with what the music business corporate conglomerates and the RIAA want...money. Screw the rest, eh?

Right now, for me, all the music on the radio is boring.

All the rap and Hip Hop artists are stuck on the "crunk" beats. Blah...boring and old now.

All the rock and "alternative" rock bands still sound the same as they did 5 years ago.

I think we're in a low swing as far as music goes right now. I'm waiting for the next big "sound" that will reinvigorate it.

Don't y'all worry, they are all doomed! :wiggle:

Doo-DooHead
12-14-2006, 04:12 AM
deejay send me the link Be never gave these corny fucks permission. I'm suing the fuck out of them!!!!

Terrick
12-14-2006, 06:05 PM
yay! :clap:

Cozmo D
12-14-2006, 10:59 PM
deejay send me the link Be never gave these corny fucks permission. I'm suing the fuck out of them!!!!

Not Be's permission to give, but you should probably give V2 a call to see if permission was given. If it was Be should have a check coming. :)

Terrick
12-15-2006, 09:52 AM
Not Be's permission to give, but you should probably give V2 a call to see if permission was given. If it was Be should have a check coming. :)

That's sad that they can just..give his song to somebody without even having to ask, whether he gets a check or not.

Cozmo D
12-15-2006, 11:14 AM
That's sad that they can just..give his song to somebody without even having to ask, whether he gets a check or not.

That's how the music industry works my friend, but the times, they are a changin'. :tiphat:

TrEEtheRealest
12-15-2006, 02:18 PM

Well, I miss the days of that. I wish people could sample stuff more freely and not have to worry about being sued. Of course, these guys didn't do much except just take it and put a drum beat over it..plus they are a disgrace to hip hop..so sue away.

Cozmo D
12-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Well, I miss the days of that. I wish people could sample stuff more freely and not have to worry about being sued. Of course, these guys didn't do much except just take it and put a drum beat over it..plus they are a disgrace to hip hop..so sue away.

So, instead of V2 having to give permission so Be can get a check, you would rather if the track just got stolen and Be not get shit? :think:

TrEEtheRealest
12-15-2006, 05:15 PM
So, instead of V2 having to give permission so Be can get a check, you would rather if the track just got stolen and Be not get shit? :think:

Well, some of my favorite music is made from samples...some cleared and some uncleared ones. For example: De La Soul..and YOU KNOW WHO.

It's the fact that everybody wants a piece of the pie and that the cost to make a song and clear the samples costs way too much and people end up losing money..thus resulting in my favorite genre of music being destroyed.

sobe8
12-15-2006, 05:34 PM
They are right it's their time to blow.

I thought that Kramer used the "n" word a lot. These people used it every other word.

Cozmo D
12-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Well, some of my favorite music is made from samples...some cleared and some uncleared ones. For example: De La Soul..and YOU KNOW WHO.

It's the fact that everybody wants a piece of the pie and that the cost to make a song and clear the samples costs way too much and people end up losing money..thus resulting in my favorite genre of music being destroyed.

Blame that on the industry fat cats. Most artists would probably gladly settle for a nominal fee and a share of the royalties, however most of the masters are owned by industry fat cats and international conglomerates.

The bottom line is, regardless of who wants a piece of the pie, the pie is already owned by the person who baked it and the guy who owned the kitchen. Cats need to learn how to bake their own pies from scratch. :tiphat:

DJ Detroit Butcher
12-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Cats need to learn how to bake their own pies from scratch. :tiphat:

You must have hated that album I did for TRK then, but he wanted it that way. :cool:

Cozmo D
12-15-2006, 11:51 PM
You must have hated that album I did for TRK then, but he wanted it that way. :cool:

Nah, I'm not against sampling, I'm against cats not being able to do anything else. I've sampled plenty, but I've also BEEN sampled plenty. ;)

Bonkman
12-16-2006, 03:24 AM
Blame that on the industry fat cats. Most artists would probably gladly settle for a nominal fee and a share of the royalties, however most of the masters are owned by industry fat cats and international conglomerates...

And that right there is the crap truth of the matter. You may have written it and poured your blood, sweat & tears into it, but when it comes time for the money...you don't own it.

I'm sure plenty of artists would do exactly what you mentioned if they didn't have "The Industry" hanging over them like a dark cloud sapping all the life (and money) out of music.

But, with record labels outside of influence of "The Industry", we're getting a ray of hope for the future. The internet is helping indie groups/bands in a big way.

Put the music (and the money) back into the creative hands it was snatched from. Get rid of the RIAA and the other "Industry" conglomerates and these new bands wont be tempted to sign their lives away to the devil.

Cozmo D
12-16-2006, 03:29 AM
And that right there is the crap truth of the matter. You may have written it and poured your blood, sweat & tears into it, but when it comes time for the money...you don't own it.

I'm sure plenty of artists would do exactly what you mentioned if they didn't have "The Industry" hanging over them like a dark cloud sapping all the life (and money) out of music.

But, with record labels outside of influence of "The Industry", we're getting a ray of hope for the future. The internet is helping indie groups/bands in a big way.

Put the music (and the money) back into the creative hands it was snatched from. Get rid of the RIAA and the other "Industry" conglomerates and these new bands wont be tempted to sign their lives away to the devil.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jerm
12-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Someone said "Same old tired" such and such. I agree- that's 3 minutes I'll never get back. It's all F this and N that, over and over. Just repeat those words over and over on top of Die Without You and call it musak?

Sample? It's not a sample, it's a *copy* with a drum track laid on top. A sample, by definition, can't be the whole friggin' song! "Back in the day" on my MPC-60ii we had seconds of sample memory, divided between 16 pads and 32 banks.

I don't care if they get sued, but they should at least be slapped and put on cymbalta or wellbutrin... or lexapro or prozak or weed... something...

jerm

pmFan
12-19-2006, 12:03 AM
With "samples" that big, I bet the folks in the grocery stores giving out free samples on Saturdays cringe when these guys come by for a "sample"! :haha:

pmFan
12-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Coz, what are the rules about sampling a track that already has a sample of another track in it? That is like making a derrivative work of a derrivative work.

Usually the initial sample license would not cover the third artist sampling it, would it? I would imagine that Be is owed for his lyrics and voice. And I would imagine that anything Be sampled that is in the "sample" that these guys took would be owed to their perspective owner. :think:

So artist #3 owes artist #2 and #1 (owes/must get permission/license/whatever), right?

Wheeljak
12-19-2006, 12:09 AM
With "samples" that big, I bet the folks in the grocery stores giving out free samples on Saturdays cringe when these guys come by for a "sample"! :haha:
:clap:
Brilliant!

TrEEtheRealest
12-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Coz, what are the rules about sampling a track that already has a sample of another track in it? That is like making a derrivative work of a derrivative work.

Usually the initial sample license would not cover the third artist sampling it, would it? I would imagine that Be is owed for his lyrics and voice. And I would imagine that anything Be sampled that is in the "sample" that these guys took would be owed to their perspective owner. :think:

So artist #3 owes artist #2 and #1 (owes/must get permission/license/whatever), right?

Man....I should sample THEIR SONG! Then I would be sampling their song that samples THAT song, which SAMPLES that song!!

atma
12-20-2006, 12:51 AM
are there even any samples in Die Without You? sounds to me like it was all composed

syxxpm
12-20-2006, 04:07 PM
i think the song is a "live" one

isnt is etyienne little on piano

a drum machine/ some finger snaps a synth and lead/ back vocals?

Cozmo D
12-21-2006, 02:08 AM

Right.

Unless the contract expressly transfers ownership of the sound rights to the sampler (can't imagine ANYBODY signing some dumb shit like that) then all sound rights still belong to the original owner. In this case it would be those that Be sampled, as well as the owners of Be's masters.

Etherspin
01-01-2007, 09:55 PM
they need to get the instrumental of die without you,so the start of the song dont clash, then get BE to do the chorus but with words to match the song.. "my time to shine.my time 2 flow"
then get pm dawn in the video..
DONE.

Cozmo D
01-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Right.

Unless the contract expressly transfers ownership of the sound rights to the sampler (can't imagine ANYBODY signing some dumb shit like that) then all sound rights still belong to the original owner. In this case it would be those that Be sampled, as well as the owners of Be's masters.
:doh:

Totally forgot we were talking about "I'd Die Without You", which has no samples. Whoever owns the master to it owns all the cards in this case. I believe Be may have his publishing back in entirety, in which case he is entitled to the publishing and songwriting from this track.