+ Reply to Thread

Thread: coz, scratching question

coz, scratching question

Okay, so sam goody was going out of business and had a big sale, so i got a cheap dj kit for 120 bucks (don't yell at me for this part. it'll be a long time until i can get a good set. i just need something to learn with right now). Anyway, my question: I'm having trouble keeping the needle in place just when I'm scrubbing. I have a sturdy table, but when i move the record, well, i can't scratch just one part because it'll keep bouncing back to the previous groove. What's to blame for this? Is it my being a beginner, the slip mat not slipping enough, the counterweight/arm height, or just the fact that i have 200 dollar turntables? i've got the arm up a little past 3 to try to keep it in the grooves more, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Or should i just get an even sturdier table? I know you can't really tell me without seeing them, but i thought maybe you could take a guess and/or give me some hints.

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

Sorry, I don't scratch. I can tell you that it's probably not the turntables though, 'cause my son Matt learned on some really cheap ones. It's probably the cartridges and fact that you don't know what you are doing.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

if i may add something: most djs I've known have all said the same thing, if you learn how to dj on shit equipment, you'll have to relearn all over again when you later buy good equipment.
    Keep your headphones on.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

If the turn table itself (the spinning disk part) is springy, you need to cut down the spring action (sometimes there are adjustment screws, otherwise wedge/jam the springiness) or practice a lighter touch.

Watch closely at how you are doing it. With the turn table turning (and a good pad underneath, you should be able to stop the disc without the needle skipping. Don't thump your fingers onto the disk, apply even pressure with a few (2 or 3) fingers on the outside edge of the disk until it stops. With practice, it can almost be instantanious. Keep your fingers on the wide band on the outside edge (1/8 - 1/4 inch from the edge).

Once you have stopped the disc (turn table still turning underneath), slowly move your wrist to one side, then the other. Some DJs prefer to stiffen their wrist and use more action from their arm/shoulder. Even pressure on your fingers, keeping the disc even or slightly pressing down. Practice slowly going side to side with your wrist (or forward and backward with your arm). A great place to practice is on the bass or snare beat of a track with mostly drums in that section (like the opening of a dance 12" single). Then as you move your wrist one way, you will hear the beat. When you move your wrist the other way, you will be playing the beat backwards. Start slowly, but then work up to moving your wrist back and forth with a beat (in your head). Eventually quicken the beat until it is close to the song you are using.

Eventually, you will want to practice letting go - with the needle not skipping. In that case, you will want to practice your wrist movement to the speed of the turn table. You should be able to grab a down beat, move your wrist back and forth a few times to see where the beat is, then on one (forward) beat, let go as you rotate forward and start lifting off of the disc lightly, the disc will then spin on its own without you as the turn table, pad, and disc all grab onto each other. Practice this release a bit and pay attention that you are not pushing (once you let go, it slows down to normal speed) or dragging (once you let go it speeds up) the disc - unless that is the sound you want.

If you think your tough is light enough, add weight to the arm (adjust the balance weight). I have seen DJs with a heavy touch or for times that they want to be rough with the discs, tape a penny to the top of the arm head. That makes sure the needle stays in there, but be careful how much weight you add. Look at the needle naturally on the disc. Too much weight can cause parts of the cartridge to drag on the disc.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    Peace

+ Reply to Thread