+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GeeStreet 12" release of Ode to a Forgetfull Mind

Barney Freakin' Rubble

GeeStreet 12" release of Ode to a Forgetfull Mind

So, I borrowed a USB turntable (ION LP DOCK) and I am ripping my vinyl. I picked up the GeeStreet 12" release of Ode to a Forgetful Mind a while back (GEET 24). A few interesting points.

First, it is a 45 rmp 12", not a 33 1/3 like most. They changed the spelling of "Forgetful" to "Forgetfull" (misspelled by adding an extra L at the end). They also dropped "(It's a Shame)" part of the title. There are 4 tracks on this 12":
    A1) Ode to a Forgetfull Mind - Ultimatum Mix
    A2) Ode to a Forgetfull Mind - Rockers's Rhythm
    B1) Ode to a Forgetfull Mind - Ultimatum Instrumental
    B2) Ode to a Forgetfull Mind - Ultimatum Accapella

On A2, it is the same as the "Rocker's Rhythm" from the Warlock record. But they changed the spelling by adding an extra s at the end of the word Rocker (singular possessive to plural possessive). The GeeStreet version is 1-2 seconds shorter, but it is the same track (maybe a difference in mastering speeds or something).

A1, however, is called the Ultimatum Mix. All they really did was extend the HIP HOP version from Warlock. They hacked off the original intro drum beats, put in an extra 20 seconds of intro loop (drum and bass), repeated the chorus and the doo doos several times in the middle, and near the end, added another pass with some organ sample in the background (pulse, not like playing melody). I wonder why they called it "Ultimatum"? It is a little slower that Warlock's HIP HOP version when played together. There is a slight difference in the tonal quality of the drum loop - feels a little brighter (not by much, most flks probably do not notice it).

On the flip side, you start out with B1 Ultimatum Instrumental. It is loosely an instrumental version of the Ultimatum Mix (A1), but does not quite match up. The cut a 19 second loop out near the end. Actually, it looks like more looping than anything. Where the actual song has Be singing the end of a verse and the drum cuts out for a measure or so, the "instrumental keeps on like it is the middle of the verse. Plus they throw in a few Doo's in the instrumental where they are not in the A1 mix (but just might be part of a more simplistic loop).

Finally you have the B2 Ultimatum Accapella version. Hmmm... someone does not know what Accapella actually means. It starts with a bass drum pulse that continues every other measure. Ok, I can see that for timing, but then comes the organ chords and then some drum kit and fuzzy electronic little extras. It is significantly shorter than the Ultimatum Mix because they end the Accapella version before the extra loops near the end of the Mix version. Funny thing missing - any version of the DOOs. You only have the verses and chorus here, not opening/closing Doos.

Etchings - normal etchings of the catalog number and cryptic little things. But one funny thing is that side A (which is mostly the the Warlock release) has a run-out etching of "MIKE'S". The other side has a run-out etching of "THE EXCHANGE". I wonder who Mike was? And what is The Exchange (organization that remixed for the release?). Of course this was mixed at Gee Street Studios, London and Made in England.

This probably does not interest many people, but I found it to be interesting. Next up: PM Dawn: Night In The City.
    Peace

Barney Freakin' Rubble

I probably sound really critical up there, but I do not regret buying it. The accapella is so raw, it is really interesting hearing Be, like he was rapping in front of you, next to no processing...
    Peace

IF YOU CANT BEAT THEM, AVOID THEM FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

+ Reply to Thread