+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unions and ReUnions

I was going to post about this last year, but Louis left and he had always been the 1 I had shared the subject with, so I decided not to. Now, thankfully, he's back, and I've seen that FW and maybe others may share similar stories.

I've met my father exactly 1 time...for about 10 minutes when I was 5. I can still remember it pretty vividly. My mother took me up to The Bronx to meet him, we had to take 5 subway trains. He was tall as all hell. He met us at the hallway door to his apartment, lifted me up in his arms, I said "Hi Mr. Cenac"...I don't remember what he said or if he even said anything, though I'm sure he did. He put me down, talked to my mother for a bit, and we left. I never saw him again.

He never paid his court ordered child support...so as I grew up I resented him more and more. It was only me and my mother growing up...with the occassional live-in boyfriend.

When I was 16 we got a call from a woman who had seen my name in the phone book. My mother always listed our phone under my name for some reason, and Cenac is about as rare as it gets. My mother talked to her for awhile and then handed me the phone and said "Benjamin, talk to your sister." Turns out that her and the woman shared baby's daddy. I got on the phone and talked to my 14 year old sister Madeline. I had always known that my father was a dog, spreadin his seed all over the place, but actually meeting a sister after 16 years of being an only child was a trip.

In my high school the girl's dean was named Ms. Cenac. Even though she was white, I knew that she had to be a relative...you've got that name, we're related! Turns out she was married (though seperated) to Bundi Cenac, who was the original bass player for the '70s Funk group Mandrill. I asked my mother about him and she said that she seemed to remember him as being my father's brother. Funny thing though, even though I had Ms. Cenac as my spanish teacher twice, we never even discussed anything about even our having the same last names. I guess I just resented my father too much.

As much as I resented my father, my sister Madeline longed to find him. She had never even met him after all. She would call me and keep me informed on her searches, which I wanted nothing to do with. She actually found another brother and sister who I still haven't met. Then, about 12 years ago, she called me and told me that our father had died in St. Lucia (where he's from). Seems he got into a fight down at the docks where he worked (in his 60s) and had a heart attack. She was going down for the funeral. I held onto my resentment 'till the end.

Then, last year, a woman who worked for a company that was doing business with my wife's company noticed her name. They started talking and it turns out that she's my cousin Veronica Cenac. She's actually the person who had connected my sister Madeline to the rest of the family and sent her down to my father's funeral. Veronica and I talked on the phone a few times about meeting, but I never pulled the trigger.

Finally, I took a good look at my kids, and realized how fukkin selfish I was being. I know nothing about 1 half of who I am, which means that I am cheating them out of knowing anything about their paternal grandfather's family...or 1 quarter of themselves. So last Christmas night, all 4 of us packed up and went over to Veronica's for dinner.

We had an entire room full of Cenacs...at least 15 of us. My sister Madeline was there too. I got to meet my aunt, my father's sister, for the 1st time. Plus, cousins, cousins, and more cousins. I missed meeting 1 of my brothers (he had to work).

I found out that Bundi Cenac, who played for Mandrill, was not my uncle but actually my oldest sibling, my brother. He's currently in his mid 50s and living in California somewhere. My youngest sibling, a sister...is 14! And that scoundrel of a father of mine had a good 30 other kids spread out all in between...the family doesn't even know half of them.

We're going to get back together again soon.

Then...right about 3 months ago...my mother yells up the stairs to me that she's sending somebody up to see me. It was early in the day, and I'm like who the hell is she sending up to bother me. Then, I watch as this scowling thuggish lookin brother comes walkin up the stairs who I don't recognize in the least walks up an I'm wonderin who da fukk is this dude and he says to me "It's Maury fool!" and I almost fell down!

You see, Maury is my little cousin...my godfather's (my mother's 1st cousin) son. He's 8 years younger than me, so he was like the crew mascot back in the day. Unfortunately, since he was with us all the time during those crazy days back in the 70s, he got into a lot of shit way too young. He was always alot to handle, especially for the grown-ups, but we would just smack him around to keep him in line. The thing about Maury was, even though he could be a bad ass little kid...he was ALWAYS smilin', and he was funny as hell! I guarantee you that if Maury was in the room peeps would be smilin and laffin...damm I missed him!

The problem was, when Maury got grown, he wasn't tryin to be nobody's shorty anymore. He started runnin with Rastas, dealing with drug dealers, and all kinds of other foul shit. Then he started runnin drugs and guns down in Texas...NOT the place to get knocked! Cut to the chase...17 years of prison on a charge that would have got him no more than 5 in NY later...here he comes scowlin up my stairs.

Now remember, the Maury I knew was this smaller, shorter 18 year old smilin smooth-faced kid. Now, I'm sittin here with this muscle-bound bearded and bald 36 year old man with the thick thuggish Texan accent. Out of the fukkin blue! I'm sittin there with all these thoughts racin through my head, talkin with him and tryin to adjust to this new stranger in my life...when he smiles for the 1st time. Suddenly I recognize him! I can't describe the feeling, it's like a glimpse of a long lost brother. Next thing you know he's crackin jokes and laffin and it's almost like he never left! Damm I missed him!

Well, he comes through now like once a week or so...and I look forward to it. He's goin through alot tryin to find work...he's been fired twice already after the jobs did a record search even though he informed them from the begining that he was an ex-con. But, I think he's gonna be all right. And he keeps smilin and laffin...which fills me with all kinds of hope.

Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Damn Coz that whole passage is great!!! Catching up to lost family is SOOO WILD! I just had a very long talk with my father last night. The weirdness is starting to fade just a bit. I also talked to my sister from the ATL last week. I feel so connected to them, but in a freakishly-uncomfortable way still.

Your Maury sounds like a kid I knew growing up named Harold. He wasn't officially related to us, but his mom was good friends with my Aunt. So we treated him like a cousin (You know how we do.) Harold lived with his mom and she was a "go-go dancer" (which somehow sounded innocent when we were kids). Several years ago Harold and his mom were involved in a house fire. Harold made it out but his mother didn't--I believe he was about 9 at the time. So his father (a glorified thug) came from Bufalo and took him away from us. That was probably 20+ years ago and I haven't seen Harold since. I believe he is still in Bufalo, NY somewhere. I checked the New York D.O.C. and he was recently released from prison. So who knows where he is now. I sure would like to run into him again. It's amazing how much you can miss family. I really relate to your story Coz.

Louis
    I love the summer months!

Thanx Louis...I knew you would.

And thanx for comin back yo!
    Alright
    Yeah...

my sister in law did the same thing tracking down her father.. and he was a very evil man.. similar story to cozs dad..she only met him once.. im not sure if it was worth it.. coz do you think you would have gotten anything from meeting with your father when you were older.. i think it just kind of confirms all the stuff you already knew..
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

Wow.....everyone has a good story to tell. I wish I could tell mine. I still don't know shit. It is going to take a while to learn everything. It has been at least 3 years since I first started looking for my biological family. Many I was told that I probably will never get to meet. But my sister and hopefully some others I will some day. (yawn)

Let me get a little personal if you don't mind. Aside from family stuff. I have been very frustrated in trying to find a job and I am also still lving with mom and dad. I am 23 and that is pathetic. I have a degree in film and everyone knows I should be living in Cali or NY however I still have a possibility getting back into school so it is very difficult trying to find where to go. Until I know for sure what path opens up I can't move anywhere. Freelance work sucks cause it is never available. I have had a few jobs here in Atl and I am still trying to gain more experience before making a move anywhere. I have apart time job and I cannot move into a place making the little money that I do there. Hmmmmm. We will see what happens.
    I have found peace so let it continue......

Tim & FilmWiz: Meeting my father as an adult was weird for me, but my reaction to it was even weirder still. The guy I met after 36 years was considerably different (better) than the guy who ran out on my mother years ago. I had and still have mixed feelings about him, but I will admit two things. 1. I feel a helluva lot better after meeting him and being able to talk to him, and 2. I actually enjoy having a younger brother and older sister. Will this upward trend continue? Who knows. Am I holding back emotions from him? Maybe, not sure. Time will tell a lot more. Hell, it took me 2 years to get up the nerve to find him.

FilmWiz: If your life bothers you that much or you think it's pathetic, maybe you ought to try to go to one of the big cities to see if you can make it. You can always come back to your parents. If you have a friend or classmate in one of the two cities, look them up and see if they can help you drum up some opportunities, or at the very least send you a want ad from the area. The internet really helps the old job searching these days. You don't have to leave your house. Whatever you decide to do, good luck with it all.

Louis
    I love the summer months!

On the corner of Grey Street and at the end of the world

Your story was very intersesting Coz. My best friend needed to hear that one. He totally resents his dad for not being there or even connecting. From what he tells me he doesn't care whether his dad lives or dies, and has called him every name form A to Z. And when people thel him he's werong, all fucking hell breaks loose.

Reading lyour story also makde me thinkof my relationship with my own father. Growing up, we didn't have the father/son relationship that you would see on tv. Whenevery he went anywhere, he would never take us, unliess it was to cut wood or do some work on our old house that we rented. But when it came to buying clothes and school supplies, it was my mother's job, or so he thought. And how my mother managed to put food on the table and clothes on our backs with a school secretary's salary was a miracle. As far a learning how to play sports, I have to learn from my brothers. Don't ask where they learned. He never when to any events that we participated in (my brothers' ball games, my sister as a cheerleader and majorette, or me in the marching band) but I never held that against him. He treated his siblings kids visited, he treated them like kings and queens and would tell us "he'd be glad when we got out of his houlse"

It wasn't until we became adults that he finally opened up tous. I always nkew ihe was inthe army, worked as a pipe fitter at an experiment station, coached a soccer team (which my eldest brother participated in), and was a lot older than he looked. He's now retired, close to 70, although you would beg to differ if you had met him.
    I wouldn't go out to say that we baried our feelings about the past, but we just don't bring it up if we can help it. After listening to stories from relatives, my guess as to why he wasn't cloxe to us, may have something to do with the fact that he never knew his father (who did before my second brother and I were born) until he had becme a man. I don't know the full details. I'm certain that he never wanted to talk about it, so I just let it be.

And Wiz, don't feel bad, I'm 31, still living with two senior citizens that I call mom and dad, don't even own a car, never been in love, much less kissed a real girl. and have dreams of being a writer to inspiore me. And you tink you've got problems? But one things for certain, life doesn't end at 31, and as long as we don't give up and put God first, our prayers will be answered. My mother's liveing proof of that.

O.K. I've said too much now. I feel strange opening myself up like this. That something I always had a problem with. I was never one to look for sympathy because there are other people who are in worse shape than I am. I didn't come to vent, but after reading Coz's and Louis' post, I just had to get it off my chest. Thanx for listening.

This message is brought to you in part by me: THE REEL ME!
    If it's my world too, then whose gold is this I'm digging out

Originally posted by HieroHero@Apr 12 2004, 08:07 PM
    my sister in law did the same thing tracking down her father.. and he was a very evil man.. similar story to cozs dad..she only met him once.. im not sure if it was worth it.. coz do you think you would have gotten anything from meeting with your father when you were older.. i think it just kind of confirms all the stuff you already knew..
    From everyone's description, including my mother's, my father was a nice person, and rather charming of course. My mother never had a bad thing to say about him, even though she had to take him to court for child support (back in a time when an un-wed mother was looked down upon).

Even at my cousin's house they spoke favorably of him...except for the fact that the man made babies all over but just didn't know how to be a daddy to nobody. Only child of his that he ever even came close to raising was Bundi.

I don't know if it would have gained anything if I got a chance to meet him when I was older...except of course to get to know that part of my family...but I guess that would have made it worth it.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Originally posted by filmwizdaddy@Apr 12 2004, 08:41 PM
    Wow.....everyone has a good story to tell. I wish I could tell mine. I still don't know shit. It is going to take a while to learn everything. It has been at least 3 years since I first started looking for my biological family. Many I was told that I probably will never get to meet. But my sister and hopefully some others I will some day. (yawn)

Let me get a little personal if you don't mind. Aside from family stuff. I have been very frustrated in trying to find a job and I am also still lving with mom and dad. I am 23 and that is pathetic. I have a degree in film and everyone knows I should be living in Cali or NY however I still have a possibility getting back into school so it is very difficult trying to find where to go. Until I know for sure what path opens up I can't move anywhere. Freelance work sucks cause it is never available. I have had a few jobs here in Atl and I am still trying to gain more experience before making a move anywhere. I have apart time job and I cannot move into a place making the little money that I do there. Hmmmmm. We will see what happens.
    Hang in there FW and don't feel so down on yourself...you're just gettin started yo!

I really think in this day and age support from family may be more improtant than ever. I too live in my mother's house, though of course I pay rent and take care of things around here (SHUT UP CHIEF!). She benifits from us being here just as much as we do. My oldest son is also about to turn 21 and he's a bum...but we're glad to have him here. He fukked up and missed the deadline to enroll for college this semester, so we're highly pissed with him...but we're glad to have him here.
    The bum better get a job though...and make sure he enrolls for the Summer.
    But you know what...we're glad to have him here!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Originally posted by STANLEY C. TAYLOR@Apr 12 2004, 11:29 PM
    Your story was very intersesting Coz. My best friend needed to hear that one. He totally resents his dad for not being there or even connecting. From what he tells me he doesn't care whether his dad lives or dies, and has called him every name form A to Z. And when people thel him he's werong, all fucking hell breaks loose.

Reading lyour story also makde me thinkof my relationship with my own father. Growing up, we didn't have the father/son relationship that you would see on tv. Whenevery he went anywhere, he would never take us, unliess it was to cut wood or do some work on our old house that we rented. But when it came to buying clothes and school supplies, it was my mother's job, or so he thought. And how my mother managed to put food on the table and clothes on our backs with a school secretary's salary was a miracle. As far a learning how to play sports, I have to learn from my brothers. Don't ask where they learned. He never when to any events that we participated in (my brothers' ball games, my sister as a cheerleader and majorette, or me in the marching band) but I never held that against him. He treated his siblings kids visited, he treated them like kings and queens and would tell us "he'd be glad when we got out of his houlse"

It wasn't until we became adults that he finally opened up tous. I always nkew ihe was inthe army, worked as a pipe fitter at an experiment station, coached a soccer team (which my eldest brother participated in), and was a lot older than he looked. He's now retired, close to 70, although you would beg to differ if you had met him.
    I wouldn't go out to say that we baried our feelings about the past, but we just don't bring it up if we can help it. After listening to stories from relatives, my guess as to why he wasn't cloxe to us, may have something to do with the fact that he never knew his father (who did before my second brother and I were born) until he had becme a man. I don't know the full details. I'm certain that he never wanted to talk about it, so I just let it be.

And Wiz, don't feel bad, I'm 31, still living with two senior citizens that I call mom and dad, don't even own a car, never been in love, much less kissed a real girl. and have dreams of being a writer to inspiore me. And you tink you've got problems? But one things for certain, life doesn't end at 31, and as long as we don't give up and put God first, our prayers will be answered. My mother's liveing proof of that.

O.K. I've said too much now. I feel strange opening myself up like this. That something I always had a problem with. I was never one to look for sympathy because there are other people who are in worse shape than I am. I didn't come to vent, but after reading Coz's and Louis' post, I just had to get it off my chest. Thanx for listening.

I hope my story helps your friend Stan!

As for you...stay strong yo...but remember, you have to MAKE it happen!

Believe in yourself, and your writing, and write! I happen to think you're very good...always have right from the jump! But...YOU HAVE TO DO IT!!! Write your stuff and start submitting it. Publish it on the web. print up copies and hand them out. BUT DO IT!!!
    Alright
    Yeah...

yeah i remember when me and deity were kinda freaked out abt stan raping her on the astral plane but coz always said this man is a writer
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

Originally posted by STANLEY C. TAYLOR@Apr 12 2004, 10:29 PM

Stanley, you almost got me in tears man. Seriously.

Hearing your story just makes me think what kind of bitch that I am... I have in some respects similar circumstances, and in other respects totally different circumstances than you do, but I view myself in a totally different way then you do. I am SURE that your way is better than my way, but I struggle just to get by and try to be myself. I know that I mess up, but shit, this world ain't easy to be in. My perspective fucks me three times more than reality does, and I now see that I had it wrong(I thought it to be the other way around). I can't look inward for things that lay everywhere, I can't be so into me that I don't see into us all (a sort of essense above the view that I have).

Thank you for sharing that Stanley, I needed to hear something like that and you truly brightened up my darkness... if cliches do justice here.

Stay strong man, keep being you, that is the kind of person that this world needs... I tell you, you are the salt of the earth!

Scott
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

So, So, So COOL!
    Only thing worse than failure is not trying

+ Reply to Thread