+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The worlds oldest man gives the key to long life

The worlds oldest man gives the key to long life

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/japan_oldest_dc

Tanabe, recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest living male last year, eats mostly vegetables and believes the key to longevity is not drinking alcohol.

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Sounds righteous!
    So patience... is nothing...

I'm not signing this without my lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmeister View Post

Obviously I agree !!
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian221 View Post
    yeah, but he's only 111, the oldest dude is 113. Beer = bad

Beer doesn't necessarily = bad.
    That's like saying not eating meat is the key to longevity when one of my great-grandmothers, an avid steak-eater, lived to be 109. She was completely aware and active until about 107.

It's probably a combination of environmental factors, genetics, levels of stress and diet. If a good, dark beer gave the German centenarian great pleasure and he did not have too much of said good, dark beer, then it probably did contribute to his long ass life span.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04 View Post
    Beer doesn't necessarily = bad.
    That's like saying not eating meat is the key to longevity when one of my great-grandmothers, an avid steak-eater, lived to be 109. She was completely aware and active until about 107.

It's probably a combination of environmental factors, genetics, levels of stress and diet. If a good, dark beer gave the German centenarian great pleasure and he did not have too much of said good, dark beer, then it probably did contribute to his long ass life span.
    bla bla bla

beer=bad

I think it's stress. In Italy, people often live to be over 100 and they smoke and drink and eat to a fare-thee-well. I think it's becuase they have a lower-stress lifesstyle (particularly in the countryside) that they are able to love so long.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

yeah, but he's only 111, the oldest dude is 113. Beer = bad
    So, abstaining from beer causes a person to be born two years earlier than people who drink?
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

Fly on the wall since2003

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak View Post
    So, abstaining from beer causes a person to be born two years earlier than people who drink?
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

nope, it makes you miss out on those last two+ years.

bla bla bla

beer=bad

nope, it makes you miss out on those last two+ years.
    Dude, just take a look at a list of the world's oldest people. You'll find that teetotalers and vegetarians are a distinct minority in the supercentenarian club.
    How is that possible?

while we're looking at data analysis and statistics lets first factor in that teetotallers and vegetarians are in the vast minority particularly in people in the western world and of over 80 years vintage due .. then see how much this goes up as a percentage in the oldies...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4287688.stm
    dimona is always a statistical anomaly .. zero incidence of cancer or death from heart disease and Sar mentioned in the article is a friend of a friend (friends here who came out from dimona a couple of years ago) and is now 71 and doing the hundred metres in under 12 seconds..
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Wow! That was really fascinating.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

yeah ! I wanna go there and film a documentary!!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Etherspin View Post
    while we're looking at data analysis and statistics lets first factor in that teetotallers and vegetarians are in the vast minority particularly in people in the western world and of over 80 years vintage due .. then see how much this goes up as a percentage in the oldies...
    If vegetarianism is as efficacious for longevity as you say that it is, and consumption of meat and alcohol is as detrimental to longevity as you say it is, the representation of vegetarians should be significant on that list regardless of the small number of vegetarians born in the 19th century. If you say that meat kills, those people on that list should have been dead long before they reached the century-mark. If you say that abstention from meat extends life, there should be some vegetarian standouts on the "World's Oldest" list, who outlived the people with generalist diets. But they didn't.
    Let's face the facts: supercentenarians are meat-eaters, drinkers and (in many cases) smokers of tobacco or other plants.

As far as teetotaling, there are far more teetotalers in the world, than there are vegetarians, because several religions, including several sects of Christianity and all of Islam, forbid the consumption of alcoholic drinks.

There is one thing that you will see that they all abstain from, though, and that's emotional stress. Live a low-stress, life, and you're likely to live longer. Shoot, even if you don't, your quality of life will be much higher.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4287688.stm
    dimona is always a statistical anomaly .. zero incidence of cancer or death from heart disease and Sar mentioned in the article is a friend of a friend (friends here who came out from dimona a couple of years ago) and is now 71 and doing the hundred metres in under 12 seconds..
    That's a really cool story. I've never heard of that community. If you don't do a documentary about them, I hope someone does.
    How is that possible?

I will tend to agree that emotional stress is (the?) key... but I would say that people who've chosen to abstain from meat and alcohol are often also people who have chosen to pursue a more peaceful and less emotionally stressful path in life. IMHO.

I see your points Jak,and stress and genetics are HUGE factors for everybody,generally the indicators of best health would be whats not likely to make you die early through cancer,stroke and heart disease at younger ages.
    I'm quite stress free despite being in a profession that can burn people out (the behavioural stuff specifically) but about 70 years will have to pass before we can see the fruit of that!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Alfred E. Neuman's signature line is "What, me worry?" and thanks to his abstention from stress, he looks just as young as he did in his 1957 debut.
    He's one of my heroes.

He's also an incorrigible smartass.
    How is that possible?

+ Reply to Thread