+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: favourite geeky toys

have you tried any phones with only a soft keyboard ? the other night when i got the magic (that i had to send back,sent me wrong one) the soft keyboard was excellent and preempted almost everyword i typed when i was halfway through, for that reason im gonna go with they hero (cause its also way cheaper here) and it has that nice sense UI running on it that samsung doesnt.
    check it out here if you havent seen it, slick
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCodXvFrz5E
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Intelligent Posts :11

yea...ive played with both Ether, but you have to understand Im a "Virgin" when it comes to smart phones, so Im not sure it will matter much... I do have a question though. Do you know if they will up grade them to android 2.0? I mean is that an upgrade that is downloadable, or does it have to be a specific phone?

yep, HTC are quick off the bat, they support their older phones (the UI from the hero is being released for the magic,the previous model) and they announced they are nearly done with 2.0 for the hero as they are adding the sense UI to it before they release it
    http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_hero_get...-news-1219.php
    as for samsung, i havent known them to be great with firmware or supporting a model once its been out a few months, cath couldnt get new firmware or a set of headphones for her a501 (i think!) that she just replaced..
    the htc models come with a program "htcsync" which does all the rom/firmware updating for you BTW
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Just reread that....that is great...Hero it is then.... I really appreciate your input with this Tim. Wife and I will be getting them this Weds hopefully.

Fly on the wall since2003

Well Tim, I just bought a Dingoo from DealExtreme.com - apparently they are notorious for slow ass shipping, so we'll see how it goes.
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

ahh - i got mine from weirdass chinavasion website and it took a couple of days..
    http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/ has a bunch of homebrew extra emulators and old dos games ported and some FPS etc and the company themselves keep writing new stuff for it .. my cousin has currently nicked mine for his hospital appointments for kidney treatments so im in withdrawal..

good luck chief , what kind is your hero ? the sprint version ? im getting a euro style dark brown model but im gonna wait extra long cause im asking them to apply one of those adhesive full body scratch proof cases.
    fun! i have a folder of apps ready to go on it, flyscreen looks awesome even if its overkill
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Fly on the wall since2003

Ah well, we'll see how I go. Looking forward to running mame emulator on it - street fighter II!! I've read that it's a bit hard to to some moves cause of the diag thing, but it'll still be awesome for heaps of other shit.
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

this is true,there are some psp rubber pads that fit over the top well I've heard and make it function well.. havent got one though
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

yes..gonna be the sprint version....

where do you get those covers tim?

Hey Hax...you gonna be at Fort McCoy Wisconsin?

That Dingoo is looking very interesting. Nice homebrew community, wide selection of things to do with it, and $82 + shipping?... Yeah, I know what I'll be asking for for Xmas.
    "...Because all you of Earth are idiots!" - Eros, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Hey Hax...you gonna be at Fort McCoy Wisconsin?
    Trip canceled, it was at Two Rivers, but they didn't have enough need for two engineers so I'm hanging around the office.

HTC Hero is here, and I have to say that I LOVE this phone....So easy too get used to...any apps you guys could recommend?

Pandora Rocks!
    But I being poor have only my dreams. I have laid my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

YOUR NOT SHITTIN T...WOW......thanks MAN!!!!!

My favorite geek toys (toys/tools) are my Palm Pre (also known as my Baby, but not to be confused with my Jeep that is known as my Baybee) and my Wacom Bamboo tablet.

Almost got the Pre T..Just couldnt get over how sharp the edges were.....I know..I know..stupid reason..LOL.... how are the apps for it?

The apps for the Pre are getting better with time. The ones I use the most are Pandora (Internet Radio), Tweed (Twitter app), gDial Pro (google voice app), drPodder (podcast app), & Media Remote (control my itunes over wifi using my Pre).

I must admit, the reason I got the Pre is because I wanted a good smart phone that can run multiple apps simultaneously (must have for anyone with ADHD). An iPhone has not been an option because AT&T sucks in my area.

I feel in love with the Pre when I typed in Palm.com by mistake when I meant to research the Blackberry Storm in January. Once I learned about the Pre, there was no way I was going to go with Blackberry. I have been with Sprint/Nextel since 2001 and I have never had a problem with them, so I was glad that they were getting the smart phone that tickled my fancy.

+ Reply to Thread