+ Reply to Thread

Thread: global access to your music

Barney Freakin' Rubble

global access to your music

So maybe I am a strange one (well, yes, I am), but I am trying to figure out how to do something that I am sure a few PM Dawn fans have thought about as well. How do you maintain a global access to your music?

I have old LPs, 12 remixes from my DJ days back in the late 80's, a few cassettes, and a ton of CDs. Now I also have free downloads from some artists as well as digital album purchases from iTunes, Amazon, etc. It seems that the easiest portability and compatibility is to get everything into mp3 format. Online content is already there. I have spent lots of time doing a nice rip of my cds (chose to stick close to the uberstandard with EAC and lame). The backlog now is a few cds I found still lying around and new ones as I still buy them, vinyl, and possibly a few cassettes (will probably buy digital or used CD replacement).

All that adds up. Ripped CDs are at 60GB for about 750 discs (PM Dawn is 35 discs at 1.5GB). I sometimes get on a kick and want to play the heck out of PM Dawn. Then I may be into some dance. A few months later I am jamming to 60's folk or Beatles. I have a 32GB iPod, but I have to choose what to put on it. I have a little 8GB Nano that I listen to when I mow the lawn or want something small/light to carry. All of those I can change content at home. I put a bunch of music on my cell phone, too, but that is where I should have a better option - a global access to ALL of my music. After all it has internet capability.

What does anyone else use to be able to get to any of your music while away from home? I have the Amazon Music Cloud since I bought digital content from them. It is free to have the stuff you buy from them added to your cloud account, but they charge a pretty hefty fee per month based on space used for anything you want to upload to it. Several other streaming "cloud" solutions do basically the same thing. They may offer some free use, but once you want your whole musical collection available to you, it costs you quite a bit. I'd like to access on my phone or any internet connection (like at work or at my brother's house). Any ideas? I have internet hosting available to me with unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth. That is how I store a backup of all my stuff. Is there some web page format that would lend itself to me pulling up a page in a pc browser to browse my music and play an album or playlist? Something that would work nicely on both a pc at someone's house or my cell phone as I am travelling? Maybe streaming? Or something to download locally then play?

Chris
    Peace

I'm using Google Play Music (and now paying for the All Access service). I've uploaded most of my collection to it and can listen to it from a browser or any number of devices in my home and cell phone. It has the option to "keep on device" music you want to have available at all times (without using cellular data).

The All Access pass gives you access to stream from the entire catalog - even syncing playlists of music you don't own to your phone.
    I'm not signing this without my lawyer.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Hey, Brian, I never did say thanks! I uploaded all my rips (well them main set of rips, I keep finding music here and there in the house). It is awesome - can listen on my phone, at a pc anywhere, well, anywhere... Thanks for the suggestion!
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Brian221 View Post
    I'm using Google Play Music (and now paying for the All Access service). I've uploaded most of my collection to it and can listen to it from a browser or any number of devices in my home and cell phone. It has the option to "keep on device" music you want to have available at all times (without using cellular data).

The All Access pass gives you access to stream from the entire catalog - even syncing playlists of music you don't own to your phone.
    Just make sure none of your songs/mixes are too controversial. Feds might pick them up from google and arrest you like that kid for posting his rap lyrics on social media. I forgot how long kid was held, but it was definitely a long time and they searched his place and everything http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...yrics-20130606

+ Reply to Thread