+ Reply to Thread

Thread: track lists in sig

Barney Freakin' Rubble

track lists in sig

OK, so how are you guys putting a recently played track listing in your sig? And what updates the list?
    Peace

It's part of Last.fm. If you download the software, it runs in your taskbar and logs all the music you listen to on your computer (I've read that there are also plugins you can install for streaming sites like launchcast and stuff but haven't tried them out). When you log in to your account on the website, you can view all of your song info (recently played, top artists, top tracks, etc.) and build charts, that are almost constantly updated, and place the code in your sig or on your myspace or whatever. It's fun!

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

yeah great site http://www.last.fm
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

Fly on the wall since2003

Quote Originally Posted by Terrick View Post
    It's part of Last.fm. If you download the software, it runs in your taskbar and logs all the music you listen to on your computer (I've read that there are also plugins you can install for streaming sites like launchcast and stuff but haven't tried them out). When you log in to your account on the website, you can view all of your song info (recently played, top artists, top tracks, etc.) and build charts, that are almost constantly updated, and place the code in your sig or on your myspace or whatever. It's fun!
    And I'm sure all of this information is being passed on to the music industry for a princely donation to the Last.fm benefit fund!

Not for me, thank you sir!
    Last edited by Twisted.Mellow; 06-13-2007 at 01:23 AM.
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

Quote Originally Posted by A.Dulteror View Post
    And I'm sure all of this information is being passed on to the music industry for a princely donation to the Last.fm benefit fund!

Not for me, thank you sir!

For all they know, I ripped all of my MP3s from CDs I bought. There's no law against listening to music.

Also, people have been using Winamp's "create html playlist" feature and displaying their 15-5,000-song playlists on their websites for years. What's the difference?

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

Been using last.fm for a while now...back when it was just called Scrobbler.

Very nice in the fact that you can see, at a glance, your music tastes based on the tracks you've played. You can also see what your "neighbors", those who've played tracks by the same or similar artists, are listening to.

Also contains info on the artists themselves. Though, I've noticed that most of the artist info is ripped from the All Music Guide. May also show tracks by artists you didn't realize were out there and appearances and shows.
    "...Because all you of Earth are idiots!" - Eros, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

For all they know, I ripped all of my MP3s from CDs I bought. There's no law against listening to music.

Also, people have been using Winamp's "create html playlist" feature and displaying their 15-5,000-song playlists on their websites for years. What's the difference?
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with using it, just that they're collecting the information for marketing purposes and probably more. It's the same as having spyware on your system that tracks every website you go to.

There is a huge potential for this sort of information in the record companies hands. Think about it. An artist is being considered by a record label for signing, but is declined (in part) because the market research information gathered tells the label that the music people listening to out there isn't alike this artist.

An artist misses out on a larger promotional budget for their music because dollars are being spent marketing artists who are more like what people are listening to.

These are a few reasons why, that's all.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with using it, just that they're collecting the information for marketing purposes and probably more. It's the same as having spyware on your system that tracks every website you go to.

There is a huge potential for this sort of information in the record companies hands. Think about it. An artist is being considered by a record label for signing, but is declined (in part) because the market research information gathered tells the label that the music people listening to out there isn't alike this artist.

An artist misses out on a larger promotional budget for their music because dollars are being spent marketing artists who are more like what people are listening to.

These are a few reasons why, that's all.

Yep...

and dont count the riaa out when you get a letter to appear in court to produce a receipt

Rem its owned by CBS.
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

Ooh, I see. I interpreted it more as they're working with the recording industry to track people down and sue them and all that jazz. That makes sense, and I agree..but right now I love being able to see stats on what i've been listening to too much to get rid of it.

Ooh, I see. I interpreted it more as they're working with the recording industry to track people down and sue them and all that jazz. That makes sense, and I agree..but right now I love being able to see stats on what i've been listening to too much to get rid of it.
    I doubt the software would be able to tell if you're listening to pirated MP3's or not, but who knows?

Scrubs AND the Barenaked Ladies on your listing... good work!

Quote Originally Posted by eternals layre View Post
    ...Rem its owned by CBS.
    That's right. CBS just bought them a short while ago. Oh well, it was interesting while it lasted.
    "...Because all you of Earth are idiots!" - Eros, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

+ Reply to Thread