+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FrEk, Atma, and fellow MIDIans...

Looks like my Studio 5 is dying a slow and agonizing death... :cry: :cry: :cry:

What would you guys suggest as the best MIDI interface...preferrably USB or Firewire? I need at least a minimum of 10 MIDI ins and outs, and it HAS to be OMS compatable. SMPTE and MIDI sync and clock abillities is important too, though not essential.

You guys are way more in the loop on the latest shit than I am, so I really appreciate the help.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

honestly i never really see midi units with anything more than 8 x 8, and i have no idea what supports oms and what doesn't. i'd just look into the motu units, they seem sort of like the standard. if i were you, i'd call up sweetwater sound (www.sweetwater.com) and just tell them exactly what you need, and they should be able to tell you what's out there that would fit those parameters, as they've a lot of experience (not just random phone operators taking people's orders)... that's really the only advice i could give.

uh oh...coz just used "frek" and "midi" in the same sentence....

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

uh oh...coz just used "frek" and "midi" in the same sentence....
    yeah, and? :donno:

yeah it's pretty much all usb (actually i never seen a firewire midi interface, but i don't think it's necessary) and 8 X 8, so ya might need 2, midiman makes pretty good shit or yeah a motu, but i'd stay away from edirol (roland company), for some reason i just don't really trust there shit.......i use a steinberg 8 X 8 but if ya aint using cubase or nuendo, it aint gonna do nothin special (they got there own ltb timing thing)......as for the oms shit i think it's all really ok, the midiman stuff ok for sure and i think the motus and emagics would have to be............oh yeah almost forgot! the digidesign is 10 X 10, but whether or not it only sees protools i'm not sure........yeah i guess ya might have to do some research. oh yeah, speakin a nuendo the rep from steinberg was in the store the other day and he was showin us nuendo 2 and it looks sleek and sexy as hell, very similiar gui to cubase sx though so ya might not dig it coz, but damn you should give it another minnit, they're both dope

Thanx Guys!

Yeah, that's what I was thinkin' I'll probably have to get 2...most likely MOTU, since I just love my 828.

I've got SX for both Mac and PC, so I think I'll install 'em both and check 'em out. I DO like Nuendo though...have they increased the MIDI capabillities in version 2?
    Alright
    Yeah...

actually the midi is pretty much the same in nuendo 2 as cubase sx, but i love the midi in it, it's real similiar to sx actually, new audio engine though with alot of capability and the interface got a few really nice touches (vst performance and master level meters right on the transport panel is nice) and custom skins are gonna be available for it (kinda silly, but i'll be sportin a final fantasy skin if i can find/make one )........the only thing they really really need is an integrated sounddiver like program, there is a 3rd party editor/librarian program that actually loads like a vst effect so it's parameters get saved with the project but it aint as hefty as sounddiver, i think steinberg is bent on the 100% software studio so i can't picture them putting more into hardwear control, but stuff like waldorfs, novations, nords, and virus's just blow away vsti's still. i still need a copy of sound diver i hope it's pretty fluid running along side sx guess i'll see. he also showed us alot of steinberg vsti's too, the grand still awesome and the new halion strings is sweet, real smooth, and virtual guitarist electric edition is real nice, more than just distortion alot of u2 kinda stuff, (ordered all 3 for myself actually) and that new D'cota synth is pretty interesting too. another softsynth i still gotta pick up is that spectrasonics atmosphere, still haven't played with it but i hear nothing but good things, you guys mess with it yet?

I have no idea what in the hell ya'll are talking about lol. I know what midi is. and coz was talking about a mac, so I assume you're using ProTools? I hear ProTools is really easy to use but it gives that compressed sound without any depth or loudness, fullness.

i dont know where you heard that, but that isn't accurate. pro tools has nothing to do with compression. and compressors / compression in itself is what gives loudness and fullness to a track.

Yeah...what Atma said... :rofl:

I do use Pro Tools...have since 1992. This will be my LAST Pro Tools system.

There is both Pro Tools hardware and software. Pro Tools hardware (the high-end stuff) still has the best AD/DA converters in the business, but however the gap is now so small that it no longer justifies the ENORMOUS price difference. Before I would buy 1 high-end Pro Tools card and I/O now I would buy a good 72 trax of MOTU I/O AND A FUKKIN BRAND NEW TOP OF THE LINE FULLY BLOWN OUT MAC!!! :thumup: :rofl:

As for the software, I have rarely used it or even seen any need for it outside of the fact that it was the industry standard...and hey, I have NEVER subjected myself to being standard...heheheh.

Alright
    Yeah...

yeah stuff like apogee or rme converters are right up there with protools interfaces but so's the price, you can build more powerful systems than protools but that's still the only name so many people know, guess they just did a good job gettin there name out with people.......kinda the same way the older crowed is all about motu stuff i guess.

kinda the same way the older crowed is all about motu stuff i guess.
    Iz that a dig at me? Do I have to put you on my list too now...?
    Alright
    Yeah...

haha, yeah you know that was meant for you! but in all honesty it is 100% true, see it all the time at the store

I have never been a MOTU fan before...so keep ya friggin old fogey comments! :flipoff:

I have always gone Pro Tools and Opcode, but since Opcode has bit the dust and MOTU has so vastly improved and expanded their hardware line I brought the FastLane USB and the 828 to use on the road, and am very happy with both. I stick with what worx so naturally if I upgrade I will look at MOTU 1st.

As for Pro Tools doin a good job of gettin their name out...wut you been smokin man? Pro Tools has been the INDUSTRY STANDARD for direct to disk digital recording for like 12 or more years...in fact, they were the only ones to do it for much of that time. Getcha facts right kiddo!
    Alright
    Yeah...

yeah just catches me off guard that people brand new to the whole thing, never heard of midi, or really any brand name other than MPC (not even knowing the name akai) still come in all the time with "i want protools, how much" i got 2 favorite answers for that too "the software right? yeah it's free, digidesign.com" or "an HD system right? yeah your basic HD1 setup with an interface starts at around $10,000" either way i get the funniest looks, then sell em an mbox (or an SX system if they got a little more cash). gotta hand it to digidesign though, they been gettin smart. asio drivers for all there stuff and windows support now (and there runnin more stable on a pc apparantly now too). speaking of akai, i hear they're going out of business. all there products give a prompt "NO NEW ORDERS, TRANSFER ONLY" whenever i put it into the computer system at work. i can't fathom there going bankrupt unless there is some SERIOUS mismanagement going on, i mean there stuff sells insanely just today even i sold both an MPC 2000 XL and an MPC 4000, and people come to upgrade there 2000's with ram/outputs/zip drives all the time. something's definitely fishy if there going under

+ Reply to Thread