+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vibe October Issue

Vibe October Issue

In the new Vibe magazine (October 2005), on page 66, in an article entitled "So Gone", there is a stupid write-up about PM Dawn:

It refers to them as one-hit-wonders, Set Adrift being their one hit.

According to Thomas Golianopoulos, "There waning credibility was destroyed on January 13, 1992, when KRS-One tossed Prince Be off his own set at New York's Sound Factory."

He (Thomas) described their 'gimmick' to be introducing "Berkenstocks to hip hop with their adult contemporary sound".

It's the issue with Luther Vandross on the cover.

Credibility?

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04
    It refers to them as one-hit-wonders, Set Adrift being their one hit.
    Totally hilar, especially since "I'd Die Without You" was all over the charts, and every diner in America has "Downtown Venus" on the jukebox, it was that popular...

morons.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

you would think someone would stop copying the same ol story news today dosent report just make up shit and redo old stories
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

can

now that would require some thought and effort, it seems like everyday more and more people get more and more less thorough, a little research or commen sense would be more than enough to tell you PM Dawn is more than a one hit wonder. go figure.

My Vibe subscription is running out and I am not going to renew it, even though I've been getting it since 1993. It's gotten progressively worse and worse - right along with hip-hop and r & b.

What a coincidence!

(Vibe Vixen has potential, though.)

What a cheap article and a cheap categorization to put PM Dawn in. I may just have to email or write to this sucker.

If anyone wants to join me:

vibe@vibe.com is the email address

or

VIBE MAIL
    215 Lexington Avenue, 6th Floor
    New York, NY 10016

BTW, what I wrote was pretty much the entire write-up.
    Last edited by wendyful04; 09-14-2005 at 10:41 PM. Reason: I always edit

thanks wendy.. its time for some emails
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Here's what I wrote:

Something about "So Gone" (October, page 66) makes my soul itch. Calling PM Dawn one-hit-wonders is spewing false information, first off. Second, I don't think KRS-1's actions back in the studio in 1992 should be considered an accurate assessment of PM Dawn's credibility as artists. Credibility? Come on! Now you name one person that hasn't enjoyed a PM Dawn melody or two in private! BTW, they're still out there doing their thing - much to the satisfaction of us loyal fans.
    -Wendy, Miami, FL

vibe@vibe.com is the email address

or

VIBE MAIL
    New York, NY 10016
    Last edited by wendyful04; 05-15-2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Welcome To Jamrock

I emailed them and added my comments as a loyal fan from the UK
    You, me and time. We always are, cuz we never were!

magazines do not matter nor do public perception....pm dawn is more than a chart placing...its an artform....and i stopped watching video channels religiously and listening to radio when i was 13......this industry is not going to dictate to me and "hopefully anyone else" what i like what is cool and what is and what is no longer popular,cutting edge or contemporary.,....all music magazines are tools made to plug the artists the record companies want to push to the moon and tell you are cool now so that you should by every release they ever make and in comparison they tell you how "right" they are buy comparing the differences of the artist with the previous artist and basically "DIFFERENT means WRONG" i also think they use this as an agenda to BURY said previous artists since they "went wack' i.e. didnt conform to what is "the now"....always remember that these people who write these mags....are only stating opinions and not facts

heres a line that grace slick that sums up this statement and i think coz and be may agree on this

"kissers....keep on kissing cuz ya aint missing anything witty from the critics
    who cant get up and do it so they write about the ones who do anything!
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

Yeah, but a substantial amount of emails/letters supporting PM Dawn will cause this magazine to call attention to the positive side of PM Dawn. You may believe what you believe, but I happen to think that since this publication reaches so many eyes and minds, it's worth us trying to set things straight.

In other words, it doesn't hurt to take a few minutes of our time to support PM Dawn. I hate pacifism with a passion.

Standing by and allowing opportunities to pass by creates so much regret later on.

vibe@vibe.com

VIBE MAIL
    New York, NY 10016
    Last edited by wendyful04; 09-15-2005 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Welcome To Jamrock

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

right on, wendy.

and besides, I think it's a lot of journalists fault why Be stopping rapping. And I really miss it.
    Keep your headphones on.

I think Be has previously said Vibe never liked his ass.. so no surprise there
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

yeha but you think any person writing up would have at least done some research. set adrift as their only one hit...c'mon!?!?!?!?!?

+ Reply to Thread