+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mac question

Mac question

So I got a 17" mac book pro mactel box today so we can test some stuff at work. Can I just say this thing is sluggish as all get out. Moving things around and whatnot is killing me. Even dragging the scrollbars in Firefox to scroll down the forum is very jerky and stuttery. My old 15" ppc mac book never had this issue. Is this a known issue with mactel that I'm just going to have to live with? You'd think that with the dual core chip it would be faster. Could it be something running in the background that I don't know about? How can I tell if it is? Work installed Acrobat and the office suite as part of the setup, other than that it's a vanilla box.

just a question for all the mac-o-philes who frequent this board

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Quote Originally Posted by Harmeister View Post
    So I got a 17" mac book pro mactel box today so we can test some stuff at work. Can I just say this thing is sluggish as all get out. Moving things around and whatnot is killing me. Even dragging the scrollbars in Firefox to scroll down the forum is very jerky and stuttery. My old 15" ppc mac book never had this issue. Is this a known issue with mactel that I'm just going to have to live with? You'd think that with the dual core chip it would be faster. Could it be something running in the background that I don't know about? How can I tell if it is? Work installed Acrobat and the office suite as part of the setup, other than that it's a vanilla box.

just a question for all the mac-o-philes who frequent this board
    Sounds like something is seriously wrong. I run loads of CPU eating programs simultaneously all the time and I've never seen anything like that.

Have you checked Activity Monitor to see WTF is goin on?
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

wtf , some things majorly weird there... the powerpcs were good (thats what im on at right now) but the dual intels.. snappy X2 of mine at home here...
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Yeah, there was nothing showing up on the activity monitor. well, I rebooted it and it seems to be behaving right now. we'll see.

how does it go with programs that have universal binary?
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm assuming that the ones I'm running have a universal binary (Word, Excel, Acrobat Pro, etc.) they seem to be running well, but I don't have any real comparison to go by. I mostly use it to test our stuff (which is not a universal binary, it's java).

must say the only buggy sluggish program i have on here is adobe pro.. then again i only use it for one file,300 page book im editing.. laaaaame
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

sounds like something you can get from mcdonalds.

"I'd like a syxx piece chicken mcnugget, a larg fry, and a mcquestion with no onion. Oh, and a butterfinger mcflurry."

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

+ Reply to Thread