+ Reply to Thread

Thread: brandy & PM Dawn

brandy & ray j's cover of PM Dawn's 1993 hit "i'd die without you" is track 17 on brandys new album full moon out march 5
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

Banned

um, dude, 17 isnt diewithout you, its 'another day in paradise'
    and i really cant hear any similarities in both songs, although this brandy song is real nice, very social-aware.

man i hope the brandi cover really breaks pm dawn back on the radio...-syxxpm
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

probably not man.. most people will not investigate the origins of the song..

they will go... baby, that girl can write ...
    "she is like.. so.. like.. deep"..

If they release that single, and it does well then pm dawn definelty should get a solid record deal.

lets hope so ..i hope the next pm dawn album hits top ten even for just a week it would be so cool to throw it in the critics faces :flipoff: :wink:
    -syxxpm
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

Brandy - Full Moon (without bonus track) - Track 17 - Die Without You:

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=3.../itemid=1497012

Attrell Cordes is credited on the track listing on CDNOW and I would assume on the CD booklet as well.

This song IS the same as PM Dawn's original aside from the variations in melody pitch and rhythm, and of course different instrumentation and so on (and so on, and so on).

I do not know the arrangement of the Full Moon (+ bonus track) album, and perhaps this track is not number 17 there.
    Mike A

Intelligent Posts :11

hmmm i finally got to listen too it...not bad.. thanks man

I'm not impressed

Wow, i really don't care for her version of this song at all...but then i havent heard it in it's entirity so i guess i shouldn't judge...i almost feel that it would have been better to not allow someone else to sing it. It is so perfect the way PM Dawn does it! Not that i am biased or anything...
    Because the sky is blue, it makes me cry...

Hi.. I'm Kandi.. just registered.. first post.. yada yada yada...

Just listened to some Brandy's version on cdnow.com..... from what I heard it's not that bad.....
    Before I went there to hear the song I searched on KaZaA for it. One of the songs that popped up that said it was 'Die Without You' was actually 'Another Day In Paradise'. And of course I chose to download that particular file not knowing it wasn't actually what I was looking for. I finished downloading it anyway being I also enjoy Phil Collins/Genesis and I was curious to what it'd sound like. All I can say is, that in my OPINION, if you don't like her cover of 'Die Without You', be glad it doesn't sound as bad as her cover of 'Another Day In Paradise'.

Although, like I said, I don't find it that bad, I greatly miss the piano melody in her version. I have to admit that the guitar she's got about mid way through her interpretation adds a nice touch, but the piano intro in the original is what always draws me in to the entire song.

In direct reply to what ETHERSPIN said, I do believe personally that most people who buy her album and hear this song will not know the origins. Why I say that is because back in.. 1998 would be my best guess, when Backstreet Boys hit it big, I was the only 16 year old I knew of that actually was aware of the orgins of thier interpolation of 'Set Adrift...' Believe me, after I was through with all the girls I knew that owned the first Backstreet album, alot of them got a copy of 'The Bliss Album...?' as well. I got one girl so into PM Dawn's music so much she actually went to a Jingle Ball (I believe that is what it was called) to see them perform (with Jennifer Paige).

I try my best to spread the gospel.
    "I know nothing of God or the Devil. I have never seen a vision, nor learned a secret that will damn or save my soul...." -Armand, Interview With the Vampire

Intelligent Posts :11

hi kandi..welcome to the forum..we appreciate your opinion.....its good to have some newcomers post..stop by the chat sometime...

Brian

Guest_Chukwuka20

I like the jam, but she didn't do it right... It was supposed to be BE... at least a duet to give the song true mass, depth.... Cuz you know Be is the MAN!!! :blahblah:

:madrant:
    If they would have brought it out as a single it would have hit the top 10... They not ready for that!!! :bash:
    Only thing worse than failure is not trying

i wonder if be ever heard this track...
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

I'm sure he did.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

its refreshing, to hear a cover of a song you liked in the first place, that is done well.

pca

:blahblah: all this talk about a new album from pm dawn and the Brandy thing have lasted too long! I enterned the pm dawn "infinate dedication " side just a week after the sale off "f*cked music" has stoped , and d... I want that album! It is like every time you here the lyriks and music from PM D you rewolve a new dimention and find new sides off the mening, and that makes you want more.
    I would love to see PM dawn on top off the lists again, as one off the tru originals and not some other copy version off an old song like most are today. The orginality PM Dawn provides in their mix off samples, intelligent lyriks and extrem nice sound, im surprised that the band, ( dispite the 14 years ) isnīt more known in the puplic.

My infinate dedication to a GREAT band.

Finish your new album and make alot of people happy.

With admiration

PCA

+ Reply to Thread