+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ask atma

ok i got a strange one for you, in cubase sx a recorded midi track on a vst instrument plays back fine, but when i play the soft synth via my keyboard or direct mouse clicks, i get a full 2 seconds delay and it won't send staccato notes. wtf? this can't be a hardware/driver problem right? i mean, it plays back fine on the sequencer so how can it be? and do you ever work with stuff in double speed mode? like to get 96 khz through adat lightpipe? i'm having trouble getting my audio routed, i'm wondering if it's worth it, or just go to 48 or even 44.1..........coz, chime in too.

ok, the lag (midi latency) you're getting is because of the audio driver you're using. you need to use an ASIO driver, otherwise you're going to get serious lag when you try controlling soft-synths from your hardware synth. in SX, go into:

Devices >> Device Setup >> VST Multitrack

now you need to select a driver for your soundcard that is ASIO. Not directx, not any other crap, but ASIO. the actual latency with that asio driver you're going to get should be adjustable in your soundcard's control panel, and right below where you select a new driver in SX, there should be a button to pop up that control panel so you can adjust the latency settings on your card. i.e., if you had an audiophile card, you'd go to it's control panel, then go to hardware settings, then where it says DMA Buffer Size, you adjust it to the smallest setting you can, without getting clicks or glitches in your audio (in other words, if one setting gives you glitches recording or playing back, you need to go to the next biggest number).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "double speed mode", but 44.1, 48, or 96 are sample-rates. the standard samplerate is 44.1 because that's what ends up on CD. if you use a samplerate that's any higher than that, you're going to have to resample and "dither" it back down to 44.1 before you put it on a CD.

you can think of samplerates as a kind of digital resolution. the higher the samplerate, the less digital errors there will be, which will result in your quieter audio material sounding somewhat better.

see what happens with digital is that its essentially binary, you have everything represented by zeros or ones. so when you try to represent analog audio in this manner, anything that's inbetween those numbers either has to go one way or the other, so this leads to tiny quantization errors (nothing to do with beat-quantizing). so if you have a sample rate of 22, everything is going to start sounding kind of digitally chunky--it's because of all the digital quantization errors. if you set the samplerate to 44, you now have twice as much space for the analog information to go, because there's more resolution... if that makes sense..

anyway, it's my opinion that basically it's a waste of time to record things at anything else but 44.1, because CDs use use that and you have to resample your shit for it to go on a CD if you use anything else.

P.S. once you change your driver to an asio one, it's a good idea to run the asio driver setup thingy. in your windows start menu, go to the cubase folder and in there you should see it, it's called asio multimedia setup or something like that. run that and have it test your cards drivers so it knows what the latency times are and so forth, you can read the help file associated with it if it's confusing..

also, if you want some software, you can log onto EFNET, and check out #audioappz. i'm in there sometimes, and they have automated freeservers set up where you can download basically any audio program or file you want. just ask if you need help using the fservers, or recommendations for plugins/synths/whatever. good luck...

yeah i was all up in the drivers and buffer settings already, the drivers it lets me select are ASIO DirectX Full Duplex which doesn't work at all, the ASIO Multimedia driver which is the only one that works, and the driver for the nuendo 96/52 card ASIO Digi96 36/52 but that driver doesn't give me any output either. All my hardware suggested that the buffers should be set to max and still operate fine, but even when i cut down the buffers and there size i'm getting the same thing.........oh and the double speed thing, my nuendo 8 I/O sends the audio via ADAT lightpipe after the AD conversion to the 96/52 card. light pipe will handle 8 channels of 48 khz, but the 8 I/O in ds mode will send 4 channels of 96khz down the line instead. it has aux in and out for the digital so i can still send 8 channels, it just uses 2 pairs of digital ports on the card itself (it has 3) the clock and everything still remains at 48 khz though and the 8 I/O is the actual master of the system, maybe i should just make the card the master and get back to 44.1? i doubt i'd really tell the difference anyway :donno:

Ok, this is blind on my part but I would assume that the card should be the master of the system. The fact that only the asio multimedia driver will work sounds like your computer is setup with windows multimedia as your default sound system, which then controls your nuendo, thus the lag. Maybe you can fix that in control panels by changing it to the nuendo. Do you still have your old soundcard installed? If so then that may be the reason.

All I know is that if you had a mac you'd be making music now...heheheh :flipoff:
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

yeah i was thinking that, the old sound card is still installed, and shows up in some of the settings window, i want to just rip it out, but the nuendo manual said that it should not be set as the preferred device in the control panel, but maybe i'll change that shit anyway.........i dropped that double speed shit and went to 44.1, and i'm getting stereo playback now at least, but the spidf in from my sampler is losing all kindsa sync n shit.............why did i have to pick this? why couldn't i just pick up some drum sticks or a guitar or somethin when i was little? much simpler i'll figure it out though, i aint got the synth hardware to get real tracks goin, so i got until then to get everything working smoothly :thumup:

ok, you definately need to be using the driver for your specific card, which would be the nuendo hardware driver, or whatever it's called. if you're not getting audio output from it, it's because you dont have shit set up right in cubase, you need to assign that card to the inputs/outputs in SX. you'll probably need to read through your card's manual and then go in and adjust some other settings on the control panel. i'd assume that you need to set the master clock to spdif IN on your card if you want your sampler to send stuff properly through digital i/o.

all the other directx asio, and multimedia asio are worthless man, you're gonna get ridiculous latency using those.

:thumup: now playing vst instruments in real time and i almost have my buffers at max too!, that was all it was atma (why didn't i check that?), it defaults the out bus to my adat 1 port, but i'm using the adat 2 port, it seems to do so every new project though, i doubt i'll have to change it every time though, i'll look through.....or maybe just save a custom palate for my projects (which i planned to do anyway) with all the midi tracks set up for my gear and all...........ok now i'm set, next to start integrating hardware audio for internal mixing, hopefully no more latency with that.......but i doubt i'm that lucky

cool.

remember, the asio buffer settings on your card's control panel should be set at the lowest number possible (the lower the number, lower latency for audio/midi).

the buffers in cubase's settings are more to do with RAM. if you get glitches recording or playing back, then you need to increase the size of the buffers &/or increase the number of buffers in SX.

somebody bought the last virus C we had today :cry: that shit's like losing my gurl........oh well still got the nord 3 to fuck off on all day

http://www.hot.ee/nipro53/

grab that. native instruments pro-53. nice synth, & a fairly good emulation of the original prophet 5 from the 80s.

dope! once again, you the shit atma

i've been peepin native instruments, i was gonna get a nord 3 but i figured fuck it, there's i can do more with stuff like battery(specially with the expansion packages), fm7, absynth, reaktor 3 (well, i'll wait till i get into the soft synth stuff more before i fuck with that one) i got a knobby and a slide mate ready for em.........still want a virus kc and a roland unit, it's nice to have some hardware at least

yo, you guys seen these:

http://www.evolution-uk.com/

too bad we don't carry them at the store, they look dope as hell though....they'd put an end to the oxygen 8s if given the chance

atma can you tell me some progarms that are good for remixes n shit..
    :thumup:
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

traktor by native instruments

ya, traktor, and also you might like something like sonic foundry's ACID which is more of an audio based sequencer where you can easily arrange loops and apply fx, etc. or even something like fruity loops would be better than mixman. you could just grab all those and try them and figure out for yourself which program(s) will best suit your needs.

thanx :thumup: :thumup:
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

i have an ask atma too...
    why won't cakewalk effin' let me use 32nd notes???!

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

gotta set your quantize setting to 32..

your probably better off with traktor or acid than fruity loops hiero, i really wasn't too impressed by it....the synths in it aint half bad though i gotta admit and the simplicity of it is nice too, but the other 2 are more capable me thinks........you ever get some soft synths workin E?

and atma, you ever have problems with a program after it's been running for a while? just over all clunkiness and even latency and plain closing itself after running for a while, problem just started with the SX........(and yeah i know coz, "if you were just on a damn mac......")

+ Reply to Thread