+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are folks spinning in 2011?

What are folks spinning in 2011?

Being the music nut i am, i'm always on the prowl for fantastic tunes and we've as a message board have been pretty amazing about sharing our likes and dislikes.

So with that being said, what are you digging a bunch right now?

I'm enjoying the newish R.E.M. -Collapse Into Now- It is a nice blend of a lot of what they do well on one album.

Jackie Greene also has been grabbing my ear as of late. Nice blend of folk, rock and some Grateful Dead vibes.

I've also been on a wicked Harry Nilsson kick. Lord the dude was a talented man. No wonder Prince Be and the Beatles liked him. If you get a chance, you should watch the documentary on him. I saw it as an attached thing in FB and was able to watch it for free. Pretty damn awesome.

Sean Lennons newest w/ his girlfriend is also interesting. It's called "The Ghost of a Sabertoothed Tiger".

Also, my wife was playing a Jordan Knight song and he does a play on words from a PM DAWN song...anyone hear that?
    I do not suppose I shall be remembered for anything. But I don't think about my work in those terms. It is just as vulgar to work for the sake of posterity as to work for the sake of money.

Orson Welles

rod stewart has a single called two shades of blue from like 2 years ago that i just heard ..that i cant get out of my head..its got a russian opera sample....haunting little tune...its also on youtube..(from double best of i just bought)

gaga- born this way

megadeth-set the world afire(double best of from 08)

cee-l0-lady killer(yeah i know its 2010 but still cool)

def leppard-mirrorball-double live album

final fantasy dissidia duodecim soundtrack
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

ulrich schnauss collab with jonas munk, daniel land & the modern painters .. manual ..
    robin Guthrie's newish collabs with harold budd ... and the new East 17 single ! "Secret of my life" its my pop fix while i wait for more PM Dawn !
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

1 Abstract Rude – Steel Making Trax Casual – The Hierophant DJ Jazzy Jeff & Mick Boogie – Summertime 2: The Mixtape Kem – Intimacy (Deluxe Edition) Sara Bareilles – Kaleidoscope Heart Darius Rucker – Back To Then DJ Jazzy Jeff & Ayah – Back For More Opio & Equipto – Red X Tapes Jesse Boykins III – The Beauty Created (Bonus Track Version) Keith Murray – The Most Beautifullest Hits Jill Scott – The Original Jill Scott From The Vault Vol 1. (Deluxe) Camp Lo & Pete Rock are 80 Blocks – 80 Blocks from Tiffany's mixtape The Ummah – The Ummah Years (1995-2000) Play Bahamadia – Kollage Frank H. Carter III – The Triple-EL Soul EP Freestyle Fellowship – Temptations Lalah Hathaway – Self Portrait i cant seem to format posts in here..but according to lastfm i've been listening to those albums
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

My music taste lately has centered heavily around two female "dance music" queens: Samantha James and Lisa Shaw.

Samantha has two albums that are a few years old now: "Rise" and "Subconscious". I have these two plus I downloaded some of her remixes of the two albums from Itunes. Accoustic version of "Rain" is one of the best songs she sings, but I think "Rise" is the song that put her on the map.

Lisa Shaw is just absolutely one of my all-time favorites. She has two very good solo albums, "Cherry" and "Free", and just about a million remixes with various DJ's. I have at least six albums of those remixes in my car. I luv her stuff. She has a great singing voice.

Other artist I've been into, in no particular order: Dwele'(all of his stuff I love), Zero 7 (thanks to Coz!), Reel People (latest album "Golden Lady", that I'm listening to right now), Telepop Music's "Genetic World", and various others...

Samantha James - "Rain" (the acoustic version) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg5WZAflYEA

Samantha James - "Rise" (the breakout hit) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiWdanF_08s

Lisa Shaw - "Honey" (from "Free" album) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0LJMhkLTKY

Lisa Shaw - "Those Things" (on Miguel Migs album): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Zkn6zkL_k

Give a listen to them.
    I love the summer months!

Right now I've got the following in rotation:

Frightened Rabbit - A Frightened Rabbit EP - check out "Fuck This Place" http://youtu.be/2LbrnqPcI-s

Folly & The Hunter - "Cost" is absolutely amazing. http://youtu.be/tbOeyuTMyQc

And if you're in an exceptionally good mood I recommend Passion Pit - "Little Secrets" http://youtu.be/ScC_pi3PJ9k
    There's something about that song - you HAVE to dance

Fly on the wall since2003

Playing on my iPod right now? Naughty By Nature - Hang out and Hustle...

In fairly high rotation though, is Frank Turner "Love Ire and Song", 311's new album "Universal Pulse", Batucada Sound Machine "Rhythm and Rhyme", Bluejuice "Head of the Hawk", Dave Matthews Band "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King", Easy Star All Stars "Lonely Hearts Dub Band" (the entire Sgt. Peppers album in Dub Reggae - check it people!), Sting "Brand New Day", and Fishbone "Still Stuck In Your Throat" - and to top it off, while working in the garage yesterday I was listening to Boyz II Men "II".
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

Mostly Merveilleuse and Kate Nash.
    Keep your headphones on.

Ian .. that mention made me click that Boyz II men actually had a new album that has some rerecorded tracks from II .. nice one, grab "Twenty" its a good one.
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Mostly my band's second album, Battle Cry.
    Tony, I'm sending you a mastered copy.

+ Reply to Thread