+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 25 Manners Every Kid (and Adult) Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Yea....Tim's mom can be such an inconsiderate bitch like that.
    nice!
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Last night, we were fortunately wrapping up when the brat squad came in: first of all, who bring four little kids (all under 6-7) to a Thai restaurant at 8:30 pm on a Saturday night? Not shockingly, they couldn't seem to sit in their seats, the parents screamed at the staff for not having high chairs (it's not that kind of restaurant), the kids climbed on the chairs, laid across the chairs, tripped the waitress, and then started screaming while the parents wanted PLAIN chicken and rice PRONTO (did I mention it was a Thai restaurant?) I just don't get it, I don't get people. The place does take-out: if you're dying for Thai, send one parent to get the food and take it home. Or, well, I don't know, DON'T bring your little kids to an adult-oriented restaurant when it's obviously past their bed time much less their meal time...
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethX View Post
    Unsupervised!?!? Seriously! That's so unsafe and inappropriate.
    Yeah, crazy, right? The poor woman who sat beside this kid tried her best to keep him in check. She was just an unrelated passenger trying to be a mother figure to the kid. He really didn't listen to her much. He just kept on bugging EVERYONE around him, but more me than anyone else. Crazy.
    I love the summer months!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M View Post
    Last night, we were fortunately wrapping up when the brat squad came in: first of all, who bring four little kids (all under 6-7) to a Thai restaurant at 8:30 pm on a Saturday night? Not shockingly, they couldn't seem to sit in their seats, the parents screamed at the staff for not having high chairs (it's not that kind of restaurant), the kids climbed on the chairs, laid across the chairs, tripped the waitress, and then started screaming while the parents wanted PLAIN chicken and rice PRONTO (did I mention it was a Thai restaurant?) I just don't get it, I don't get people. The place does take-out: if you're dying for Thai, send one parent to get the food and take it home. Or, well, I don't know, DON'T bring your little kids to an adult-oriented restaurant when it's obviously past their bed time much less their meal time...
    I understand your frustration at these particular people, but at your first sentence-- WE are those kinds of people. We have a large family of all young kids, and we occasionally go out to eat and wherever we go, our kids go. We are also night owls and often out late. Just because we are a family, I don't feel we should be shunned and limited to only certain areas.

The difference between them and myself, though, is that my family and I are not as rude and demanding. I would never scream at wait staff (unless they did something out of line), and I would never let me kids complain and order people around like that in a restaurant of any kind. The other day we were trying out a new restaurant for lunch, and I had to pick everyone up and get out of there before we even ordered. As starving as we were, Cian was cranky (no nap? no food?) and he wouldn't stop loudly protesting everything with me. It was embarrassing. As soon as things get awkward or uncomfortable anywhere, I remove the kids as soon as possible. This is also how they learn to behave. If they'd really like to go places, and if they really want to eat some food, they'll quiet down and be proper or they'll have to leave. Unfortunately it's a lot trickier with a strong willed toddler like Cian... his emotions rule, and he's just really beginning to comprehend how his flying off the handle will effect his situation negatively. As mad as it makes me, I feel bad for him. But, he'll learn.
    So patience... is nothing...

WTF is up with #6? #11 is also a bit weird. #13 is bullshit. #21 is also. #25 is also a bit too much.

Etiquette Nazis!
    I take it your kids curse up and down the house then!
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Ian, I agree pretty much with everything you said (lawl).

Chris, I guess I'm just spoiled because I have great kids. I know that some kids out there could break these "rules" and seem like little shits, but my kids break these rules out of sweet innocence and freedom, not because they are little shits. First and foremost I encourage them to think of others. My kids are very polite, even if they don't adhere to old school etiquette. If my kids break these rules, they are quite likable and not annoying while doing so.
    About #13, I let my kids swear. It's bullshit because it pretends adults dislike swearing and that you aren't impressing us by swearing. Adults love to swear and when I hear my son say "oh shit", it's all I can do to suppress my smile and laughter. I only do this so that he doesn't get some kind of kick out of swearing, and then do it all the time just to entertain (because that's annoying). I want their swearing to be genuine, and not based on any stigmas. Their swearing is actually quite rare and I find it's because I don't tell them such words are off limits or make them feel those words are somehow special or naughty. I want them to use language in sincerity and honesty.
    #25-- I guess it's like Ian says, it depends on where the item is. I'd hate for them to knock over stuff trying to get it, and if that's the case, they should ask for help. But, that's common sense. There shouldn't be a "rule" about it.

A lot of this stuff sounds like "elbows off the table" stuff, which is really just not my style of parenting, at all.
    So you aren't teaching your children discretionary language. That's a mistake. A child should know how to discretely use language, it becomes an important life skill later on.
    Alright
    Yeah...

*sigh* ever misunderstood.

Meet my kids sometime, and you'll understand. :P

Doesn't matter who the kids are or how good they are. Knowing when to curse and when NOT to is a crucial life lesson.
    Alright
    Yeah...

I went on a whole big ramble about this where I better described or defined us, but I feel like I'm kind of repeating myself so I deleted it. I was just giving a bunch of cute anecdotes which may not even be understood, so I'll keep it simple. My kids seem to understand when to use certain kinds of language, but they are not mandated as such. If we are in a store and my child falls down and says "shit", I have no problem with that. However, they're more likely to say "oh shucks", which I am both confused and amused by. If they are at a funeral and loudly tell a loved one to go fuck themselves, yeah, I'd step in... but that's so out of their characters that way-inappropriate behavior is not a concern of mine.

But, they aren't greeting people with "nice to fucking meet you!" (although... that would be funny...). And, if they're upset about someone, they're more likely to call them a meanie than an asshole. My biggest concern is they try to actually say what they mean and be fair. Don't call Mommy an asshole just because you are mad (yay, this hasn't happened). But, if some person just comes up and pushes you, I have no problem with you calling them an asshole. This is potentially where I would get calls from school (if they attended), and I would not punish my child for this. Everything is really on a case by case basis, but I rarely have to correct them for appropriateness. We are quiet and discrete people, and so far I'm really pleased with the way the kids choose to use their speech (right now they are 7 and 2). There is no stigma for them on what society deems as "bad words", and I think without that level of novelty attached, it will serve them well.

(right now they are 7 and 2)
    Get back to me when they are 17 and 12.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Will do! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D View Post
    Doesn't matter who the kids are or how good they are. Knowing when to curse and when NOT to is a crucial life lesson.
    it's fucken true

I guess I don't think we all need some manners list to be appropriate enough.

+ Reply to Thread