+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Movie scenes that stick with you...

Movie scenes that stick with you...

Louis started a movie thread which got me to thinking...

What movie/TV show has really stuck with you, even though you may or may not have liked it?

The example that I can think of right now is Dancer in the Dark. I love Bjork, so I watched that movie. Her situation starts off bad, then gets worse... and worse... and worse. I would never watch the movie again, but it made an impact, mainly because of how depressing it was, but I couldn't pull my eyes away. Reading reviews of other Lars von Trier movies, I get the feeling that's his specialty.

How about yous guys?
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

In "Antwone Fisher" the scene where Antwone finally met his mom and later his extended family (after years of not knowing and dreaming of something similar), those two scenes together really prompted me to find my father. And I must say, the results of my reunion were better than the movie. That's one movie scene that I will never forget.

Great question sir.
    I love the summer months!

The Shawshank Redemption scene in which Red describes (with flashback) how Andy escapes.

"...In 1966, Andy Dufresne escaped from Shawshank prison. All they found of him was a muddy set of prison clothes, a bar of soap, and an old rock hammer, damn near worn down to the nub. I remember thinking it would take a man six hundred years to tunnel through the wall with it. Old Andy did it in less than twenty. Oh, Andy loved geology. I imagine it appealed to his meticulous nature. An ice age here, million years of mountain building there. Geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time. That, and a big goddamn poster. Like I said, in prison a man will do most anything to keep his mind occupied. Turns out Andy's favorite hobby was totin' his wall out into the exercise yard, a handful at a time. I guess after Tommy was killed, Andy decided he'd been here just about long enough. Andy did like he was told, buffed those shoes to a high mirror shine. The guards simply didn't notice. Neither did I... I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes? Andy crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. Five hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile..."

It shows just how far a determined person will go to escape oppresive authority.
    "...Because all you of Earth are idiots!" - Eros, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

Chris-- Wendy and I were just discussing Dancer in the Dark the other day and said almost the same thing as you! Great movie, but I couldn't watch it again (and I believe Wendy said she couldn't even watch the end).

Lars von Trier seems like a strange fellow. His style is interesting. I've seen Manderlay and Antichrist. He really makes you think. Sometimes it's "wtf", but ultimately I think you arrive at an answer (talkie-talk it out with a partner!), so I don't think he's one of those weirdos just doing art for art's sake. He's actually saying something. To me, that's always important... feeling that there is some kind of point or message and not just a bunch of random scenes.

Bonk, to me (and this is maybe just my personal reaction to TSR), the scene where Andy is breaking out... it's not just about escaping oppression (like that of a prison or corrupted authority). To me it's the strength and persistence of human determination. That through so much, people overcome their circumstances, and sometimes right under your noses and when you least expect it. And it can always be the person you didn't think would make it. The person you wrongly thought didn't have the balls. People can only take so much, and everyone has their breaking point, and you can either choose to fight or you can let it kill you. I think everyone faces their own Shawshank, in a way, which is probably why it speaks to so many people on some level or another.

Film is very powerful and all of my favorite movies have at least one major scene (usually more) that really impacts me, so picking one is really hard! TV shows adds even more to it since all of my faves are comedies and just FULL of great, memorable stuff. I'll just pick one thing so I can at least participate in this fun topic...

Since I just recently mentioned it and it sort of haunts me, I'll talk about Hostel. Here is a movie that I came into not expecting to like. I like horror, but I had this idea that it was just a gore fest and would have gratuitous nudity and sex without any substance (and in the beginning, it appears to live up to that)... and then it caught me very off guard. I don't think I'll ever watch it again, but it had so much depth to it (for me, anyway), the turn-around when things started to become serious... that I was just so very impressed and surprised that I can hardly express it. The scene that sticks with me most (sort of my biggest turning point/redemption for the film) *SPOILER ALERT* is when Jay Hernandez's character finds the businessman in the bathroom and gets revenge by cutting off his fingers. That's when I knew it was on. That and everything that followed HAD to happen for this entire movie to be okay for me and I felt completely victorious for him and knew he had his control back (and that he was going to be fine). That was pivotal and sooo important. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and the adrenaline was like crazy, I was so unexpectedly invested in the characters for all the traumas they had gone through. I was so glad the ending didn't let me down. Tip: don't ever watch Hostel II if you liked the first one.

Clearly I like to see people overcome things. Now that I think of it, almost all of my favorites have the element of someone rising above their circumstances and winning. Usually against extreme odds. I have faith in good triumphing over evil.
    So patience... is nothing...

When Brittany Murphy's character beats the crap out of her lover's abusive pimp with a can of spray paint and a motorcycle helmet and then rides off on the motorcyle, laughing hysterically in The Dead Girl.

When Juliette Lewis/Mallory has that diner fight in Natural Born Killers.

That singing scene in Chasing Amy.

Michael's initiation scene in The Lost Boys.

The final scene in Mid-August Lunch, where the guy accepts his fate and realizes that his life is good and he dances.

The scene in The Lost Boys where Michael first sees Star.

I couldn't watch the whole movie of Dancer in the Dark.

Intelligent Posts :11

Debbi Does Dallas and Deep Throat....

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    good choice
    well-rounded, yet simple and elegant

lol

Way to piss on a thread, Chief!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    you just like cockeyed women :P
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

syxx!!!! xoxo

Chief, you're not playing fair - it's a SCENE from a movie. I would peg you for the spanking scene in the library with the old dude...
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Quote Originally Posted by Louis85 View Post
    Way to piss on a thread, Chief!
    Rkelly style even..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M View Post
    syxx!!!! xoxo

Chief, you're not playing fair - it's a SCENE from a movie. I would peg you for the spanking scene in the library with the old dude...
    ummm.....wow......god bless you M.....

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    rkelly style even..lol
    haha!

Fly on the wall since2003

Movie scene that sticks with me? Jim Carey getting out of that Rhino. Kills me everytime
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

Hahaha! Yes, that was an awesome scene. "WARM!"
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLDog View Post
    Hahaha! Yes, that was an awesome scene. "WARM!"
    and moist

Josh and I say to each other frequently, "it's hot in these rhinos". We might totally be saying that wrong, but we've been saying it for years.

Oh! That scene in Legion when the ice cream man/demon gets out of the truck and his arms stretch and Tyrese's character just goes "Oh shit! Oh shit!". fukken funny as h-e-doublehockeysticks. I rewinded (rewound?) that part like 15 times.

Lost In Translation, at the end when Charlotte is walking alone and Bob spots her from the cab, runs up to her.

+ Reply to Thread