+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's a good day...

It's a good day...

Okay, so you don't know me, I think maybe I've posted on here once or twice before, long time ago. But I was compelled today to come and give thanks to the Be and the G.

I was sad to read of the lower leg amputation, but I know that Be will overcome.

It's been three years since my previous employer became my "previous employer", and the company is pretty much gone as far as anyone can tell, so I consider it safe to tell, as they say, "the rest of the story".

So firstly, a short introduction. P.M. Dawn has been, probably, my favorite thing to listen to since I was a very young lad. My cousin and I listed to the cd's over and over again, and memorized all the lyrics. It isn't often that someone can make a CD that you can listen to from beginning to end, and Prince Be has done this over and over. My cousin - our birthdays were 3 months apart so we were always close-- was killed in a car accident many years ago, so this has intensified my love for P.M. Dawn, because he was the person with whom I enjoyed the CDs, memorized the CDs, and sang the CDs at full volume while driving down the highway...

When I was sent my by employer to attend a concert and "get a quote if you can" I was happy-- "cool- they're going to pay me to go see my favorite group!", but I never imagined the welcome arms I would be walking into. I missed the show I was supposed to be at (somewhere in north and middle of the US!) due to the wonderful airlines... so my managing editor says "they'll be in Lincoln tomorrow night. Get a rental and drive down there."

He also tells me that he can't reach their agent and they don't seem to have a road manager, so just "buy a $8 ticket, take some pictures with that fancy camera we gave you" and if they have an autograph line "get in that and introduce yourself."

I get a little sleep, then start driving. I get to the venue many hours early, and there's nothing to do (yeah, did I mention it was Lincoln, Nebraska?!!!??), so I sit outside. I can hear them doing a sound check inside. Someone comes outside and says "you're here early!" and without even thinking (it was like something else was moving my arms and mouth!) I yank out my press card and blurt out "I came from NYC-- do you know if they would have time for a question or two?" He checks my credentials with a quizzical look...

"Probably, come on in."

What happened next exceeded all my expectations, and I had to continually remind myself, "keep jaw up. be professional. right now, you're being paid to be here, so you can't be a fan." If my boss *knew* the level of fan-ness within me, he would have sent someone else, I can assure you. :)

Prince Be and the Doc welcomed me like a long lost brother. And I'm a white kid, by the way. I hung out for the rest of the sound check, they answered all of my questions and I took a million pictures. (which, unfortunately, I do not own the rights to, so I don't even have a copy of!!! Bah!!)

They headed out west to continue the tour, and I headed back to NYC.

A few months later, I got word that they were going to have a concert in Brooklyn, so I rang up Giggles and verified the time and place. When I got there, again, I was welcomed with open arms. And a hug. They invited me into the VIP-pre-concert-room where they told stories from the road. I have never felt so welcomed anywhere. The actual "concert" was a blast- it was G's birthday and there were only about a dozen of us there, so it was just a fun time. I think Cozmo D was there-- he can confirm or deny? Remember the story about being shot at in LA? We laughed so hard it hurt.

I've already gone on longer than you wanted to read, so I'll get to the point. Today, I was feeling a bit melancholy, and I had "No Further Damage" playing in my head. I don't know why. Over and over, like my brain is on "repeat one" mode.

I get out the CD and pop it in, skip to track 9 and turn it up. Before I know it, I've worked my way through Hale-Bopp, Faith In You, Broken, and Untitled, and I hear [dearest] Christian. "daddy you finished your la-las?" "come on daddy" "come on daddy", and I remember Lincoln Nebraska again-- Christian was there-- with all that hair, and we were introduced-- he was so quiet, so well behaved... and my head says "does he know that he is the son of the Prince Be? Does he know that the entire album is for him? Does he know the poetic talent of daddy?" and "I can't believe he's this old already! How old does that make ME?" while I just smile and nod... "it's good to meet you Mr. Christian." He smiled.

So today, I've got all my PM Dawn loaded (even "greatest hits and misses") and it's a beautiful day here in Oklahoma. Life is good.

"You, me, and time. We always are, because we never were."

Jeremy

Nice write-up, sir.
    I love the summer months!

Fly on the wall since2003

Werd. Welcome to the nut house.
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

Okay, maybe I posted once, or twice, or 16 other times. does it matter when 90% of this crowd have thousands of posts!?!

(really? 17? humm. wonder what I said?!)

Welcome to the forum, jerm! Loved the write-up.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

Welcome Jerm! No, I don't think it was me that you remember.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D View Post
    Welcome Jerm! No, I don't think it was me that you remember.
    Perhaps it was Wilford Brimley. I can't think of anybody else who's grouchy enough to be mistaken for Cozmo.
    How is that possible?

Maybe the Doc will enlighten us on the identity of the other fellow. He was introduced to me as "our uncle", but I don't know if that was figurative or literal.

Man, that's an old pic of me. I haven't had hair in YEARS!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerm View Post
    Maybe the Doc will enlighten us on the identity of the other fellow. He was introduced to me as "our uncle", but I don't know if that was figurative or literal.
    Maybe it was their uncle.
    How is that possible?

I thought that was very nice.
    So patience... is nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by jerm View Post
    "our uncle"
    Haha. Uncle Ben.

"Doc G... with giant letters comes great responsibility."

How is that possible?

Nice!
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

Hey man I really enjoyed reading that.. I've heard so many similar stories of people who have been touched by P.M. Dawn's music.. It will live on for many many years.. I'm listening to Dearest Christian a lot lately myself.It's prob in my 3 fav albums of all time.
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

Fantastic story. Reminds me of '92 when The Utopian Experience Never left my tape deck.
    Keep your headphones on.

THE IMPOSTOR OF THE DAWN Doo-DooHead's Avatar

I still and always will remember you j-dog!!! Call me 302 898-5527 i am awake right now brother!!!!
    People need to realize be and i are just a bunch of fans who got lucky, so we treat others the way we like to be treated. I just did a show with salt n pepa last saturday, they autographed my psp and i cried afterwards. I didnt let them see but i did. I'm from queens, and they are the female run d.m.c., theyknow what it meant, and they did it. I stayed 4 hours after the show signing autographs because if salt n pepa can do it for me, i can do it for anybody. It touches me to hear that you still cherish the time we spent, it still makes me emotional when i think of the time i gave etherspin and hero 1 my favorite pair of snoop dogg jeans in australia, and he gave me a self made pm dawn t shirt that i still own and keep in perfect condition. You people are my utopianites. You are my version of hulk a maniacs, and i love each and every one of you. I am always here for all of you and i will sacrifice evrything to entertain you. I just hope you all love me the same, and i guess thats why it hurts so much when one of you doesen't like me, hence the beef with tim. I just want to be your champion, nothing more, nothing less.
    I STOLE THE PM DAWN NAME FROM PRINCE BE'S WIFE AND KIDS,
    WHILE PRINCE BE WAS FIGHTING FOR HIS LIFE IN THE HOSPITAL ON LIFE SUPPORT!!!!!!
    I'M DOO-DOO HEAD!!!!!!!!!

Great story...

...and G...you need to get your ass out to the west coast so I can be part of the P.M. Dawn West Coast Road Crew.
    "...Because all you of Earth are idiots!" - Eros, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkman View Post
    Great story...

...and G...you need to get your ass out to the west coast so I can be part of the P.M. Dawn West Coast Road Crew.
    Might be tough getting Doc to go out west again. Y'know-- after his unfortunate "drive-by" incident, and all...
    How is that possible?

An unfortunate "drive-by" incident? Haven't heard about this one...

there we go, just right. keep walking...

You haven't? Ask him about it. It's a story definitely worth hearing.
    How is that possible?

This is one of the (many) things I love about PM Dawn. I've never known a group/band that is on such a personal level with their fans.

A friend of mine is a huge Pearl Jam fan and he says he got to hang with them a couple of times. I think that sort of thing is so cool, because for many artists their existence as musicians wouldn't be possible without those fans.

I've never had the pleasure of meeting Be or yourself Doc (you gotta come up to the Pacific NW sometime!), but hopefully I will at some stage down the road.

By the way, I was curious about all the Aussies on here. I'm Australian myself (I moved To Vancouver, Canada 4 years ago) and there seems to be a huge following in OZ. I never knew any other Utopianites when I was in Oz, but it's cool to see the large following.

Anyway, thanks for the post jerm, it's a great read and just adds to my respect for PM Dawn.

+ Reply to Thread