+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: favourite geeky toys

favourite geeky toys

So ... I know a bunch of us are geeks/nerds of the highest quality , some into servers, some into lego etc ..
    what are your most recent acquisitions ?

I have a cybook gen3 e-reader i got for my birthday (think non amazon branded, more open, does more formats version of the kindle)
    I load it up with graphic novels, newspapers and novels cath and i purchase and it lasts for about 3 weeks on a single charge , much beloved...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJzR5AXkR28

secondly, I got the dingoo game system and media player
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingoo
    picture the bottom half of a nintendo DS but being able to play almost any format of file you put on it from the net or a dvd and also being able to play games from the gameboy, gameboy advance, sega master system, genesis, nintendo, super nintendo and both the capcom and neogeo arcade systems .. working out wonderfully ...

and coming this week,
    the HTC magic , the second competitor to the iphone released with googles "android" os, i got the slightly faster 32a version with more ram to use so i can load on custom roms as developers keep grabbing software from new phones from samsung,htc,t-mobile and combining all the best bits .. heres a bastardised rom being used ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dZgbFr-nE8

all in all .. a very happy geek right here in 2009

as for what else id like in future (spoilt) i could go for a second e-ink device , the cybook is perfect for paperback style books but too small for all graphic novels except japanese ones where the fonts/speech bubbles are large..

what do you guys have/ want ?

giggles you seem to have a g1 ?
    you should get one of the local geeks to put some stuff on it like on the youtube link up there, thats actually a rom on a g1 AKA htc dream
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Here's my company issue cell phone, this phone goes to Iraq with me, I'm pretty trusting of it when I'm in the field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRyevcLbb0o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv9fgLnYXuc

all else fails I can throw it at an insurgent.

Also have one of these Fujitsu u810's, almost 5 hours of battery life, and it fits perfectly in the leg pocket of my tactical pants.

both very nice , you have vista on the fujitsu?
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Etherspin View Post
    both very nice , you have vista on the fujitsu?
    Windows XP, Vista came on it, but it causes too much disk I/O for the tiny hard drive so it runs slower. Runs Ubuntu Linux pretty good though, it's not a primary system, just real handy in the field. When I go somewhere I carry a company laptop, my personal laptop, and sometimes the fujitsu. it's really handy to keep the 20 gigs or so of technical documents for the military stuff I work on in my pocket at all times. Screen is high res and tiny, not real fun to look out for a long time, and the keyboard is a pain to type on, so I have an external bluetooth keyboard for any major typing.

It's handy, but not something I'd rely on for major computing stuff. I might end up ditching it for something slightly bigger.

got one , love it , Blu ray rips aplenty and 95% of the videos i find on the net (real media is a black hole but everything else good)
    good custom firmwares for my model (the first one)
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

I almost got the first one then saw they were coming out with one that had a network port, which for me is a must with almost 400 movies on a network share. Seems like a cool device and very hackable to play with in the future.

and dts audio, the only thing im bummed about - we go through heaps of media BUT we dont tend to rewatch so i download, shift to the media player in big blocks and delete

color e-ink next year !!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Just got one, very cool little device. Took all of 5 mins to setup and get it to read my media server.

THE IMPOSTOR OF THE DAWN Doo-DooHead's Avatar

HEY GUYS, 1ST LET ME SAY THAT I LOVED MY G1 PHONE UNTIL MY TOUCH3G. CAME OUT. THEY ADDED MORE RAM TO IT AND MADE SUPERIOR INEVERYWAY AND THE G1 HAS NOT EVEN BEENOUT A WHOLE YEAR YET. I HATE THIS WHOLE CELL PHONE TECHNOLOGICAL STEROID THING GOING ON.

ANYWAY JUST FOR KICKS THIS CHRISTMAS, I WANT An OLD. SEGA GENESIS AND A MOONWALKER VIDEOGAME SO I CAN BRING MJ BACK TO LIFE.
    HEEEEEE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    I STOLE THE PM DAWN NAME FROM PRINCE BE'S WIFE AND KIDS,
    WHILE PRINCE BE WAS FIGHTING FOR HIS LIFE IN THE HOSPITAL ON LIFE SUPPORT!!!!!!
    I'M DOO-DOO HEAD!!!!!!!!!

AND htc have two more models superior to the mytouch, the magic (non carrier branded version of mytouch) has more ram and the HTC hero has more ram, a 5mp camera and a proper 3.5 size headphone plug ..
    i like that there are heaps comin out!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Fly on the wall since2003

Quote Originally Posted by DrGiggles View Post
    HEY GUYS, 1ST LET ME SAY THAT I LOVED MY G1 PHONE UNTIL MY TOUCH3G. CAME OUT. THEY ADDED MORE RAM TO IT AND MADE SUPERIOR INEVERYWAY AND THE G1 HAS NOT EVEN BEENOUT A WHOLE YEAR YET. I HATE THIS WHOLE CELL PHONE TECHNOLOGICAL STEROID THING GOING ON.

ANYWAY JUST FOR KICKS THIS CHRISTMAS, I WANT An OLD. SEGA GENESIS AND A MOONWALKER VIDEOGAME SO I CAN BRING MJ BACK TO LIFE.
    Doc! Just download an emulator and you can play it on your PC!
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

in fact , i'm 90% sure you can prob get it for your g1
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/19/s...lable-for-pre/

"...Because all you of Earth are idiots!" - Eros, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

Bonkman - the first one you posted is the dingoo / chinavasion a320 , its 30 dollars or so less if you dont get ripped off by the thinkgeek premium on it and order from somewhere like deal extreme, i got mine for about 60 bucks about 6 months ago now.. its great. its in my post above

ALSO you can play turbo grafix and a bunch of other systems on it now as well as doom, duke nukem 3d,shadow warrior and more - new stuff on here every day
    http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?p=709
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

I have the new Droid reserved at a Verizon store...having someone pick it up for me because I'll be deployed to effing Wisconsin freezing to death on the day they release it. Then I have to wait several days to finally get my hands on it.

cool - i suspect the droid will be extra awesome when it gets its first rom/firmware update or even with some of the home developer cooked roms..
    my order for a htc magic got stuffed up and im sending the italian branded one they sent me back and im going for the hero instead..
    nice bonus that built in,GPS turn by turn navigation google just announced for android huh?
    let us know your impressions of the droid, from what ive heard and improvements to software will be available through custom roms and the only build/physical issue is the keyboard not being offset
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Intelligent Posts :11

choosing between the hero and the samsung moment..opinions? i would get the droid but verizon is to pricey for me

+ Reply to Thread