Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Boxxy Phenomenon

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04 View Post
    I must agree.
    and thank you
    of course GWENdy.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Dulteror View Post
    Fuck! THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR. Rick Astley covered by the Chocolate Rain guy - that just killed my night.

You're gone son!
    You gotta see this:
    8-bit Chocolate Rain
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caIBK...eature=related

Y'know, I woulda really dug this song if it had been on one of my NES cartridges...
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

Tim is correct.
    So patience... is nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak View Post
    It's about time you figured out why I posted this in the first place.
    These days, the only time people around here talk about anything is if they're provoked. If I wasn't able to successfully rouse a little rabble every now and then, I would have to go somewhere else to find something to read.
    That's because you people killed everything that was fun around here.

You may carry on now.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D View Post
    When I first started coming here, people were always saying stuff like "You should have been around here back in such-and-such year when XXXXX and YYYYY and ZZZZZZ were coming around here. It was better back then."
    Rather than constantly looking back to the good old days, how about doing something to make things good in the present?
    How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak View Post
    When I first started coming here, people were always saying stuff like "You should have been around here back in such-and-such year when XXXXX and YYYYY and ZZZZZZ were coming around here. It was better back then."
    Rather than constantly looking back to the good old days, how about doing something to make things good in the present?
    And everything that we attempted to do in the vein of the "good old days" was lambasted as being inside humor or not funny, even to the point that the people from the "good old days" themselves were lambasted. Note how few of them are left and how rarely those that are post. This place is now what you guys have made it. Even the owner practically never comes around anymore.

Me, I go elsewhere for fun these days. I come here out of dedication to my position as an admin. This place is now more work than entertainment.
    Alright
    Yeah...

And everything that we attempted to do in the vein of the "good old days" was lambasted as being inside humor or not funny, even to the point that the people from the "good old days" themselves were lambasted.
    You seem to think that I don't know the kind of stuff that was posted back in the day. I do; it's all archived. I've read reams of pages of it, and I can tell you right now that the "old" forum was not built on horsedogs. It was built on people showing up and bringing something to share, rather than sitting back and expecting other people to entertain them.
    And please refrain from the dramatics. Nobody "lambasted" anybody for that horsedog thing. What, do you blame me for saying I didn't think it was funny? Do you expect your inside jokes to be funny to people who are not on the inside? And let's be honest here; y'all didn't stop talking about that horsedog business to accommodate me, and I certainly didn't make you stop. You stopped because it got played out, like most inside jokes do. Besides, if you had wanted everyone to laugh, the people here and me could have pulled together to come up with a new joke that everyone could laugh at.

Note how few of them are left and how rarely those that are post. This place is now what you guys have made it. Even the owner practically never comes around anymore.
    Hey... whatever makes you feel better, Coz.
    In discussion forums, people come and people go. Most of the people who go, simply forget to keep coming. Take your own forum, for example. I like it, and I didn't stop coming for any particular reason; I just forgot to visit.

Of course, some people did leave for a reason. I can relate to that. I stopped coming here for more than a year. However, it wasn't about the new people; it wasn't about the old stalwarts, either. It was about this place having the same old thing day after day after day. I did my best to do something about that: when I didn't have anything to talk about, I posted links of interest to give people something to do, in the hopes that someone would get a clue and participate in the show & tell. When I did have something to talk about, nobody ever wanted to participate, unless I stooped to trolling them. I was getting no help. Wendy is a refugee from a forum where the same thing happened; she was the only person who put forth any effort. For as long as I can remember, not enough people want to take the initiative to add content or interest here; they'd rather be passive members and just wait for other people to entertain them. A forum is like a community playhouse, not a movie theatre. I got sick of all of my honest effort seeming like it was being tossed into a bottomless pit. And I left. If people hadn't worked my last nerve asking me when I was going to come back and start posting again, I might have stayed gone for good. Of course, if you mean what you say, maybe you believe that would have been a good thing...

Me, I go elsewhere for fun these days. I come here out of dedication to my position as an admin. This place is now more work than entertainment.
    Man... do what you wanna do.
    How is that possible?

Whatever man.
    Alright
    Yeah...

You may carry on now.
    Am I a "you people"?
    That's racist!
    Or sexist!
    Or.....wait, who are the "you people(s)"?
    Tell me now.

now

no, now

now

I pulled this interaction between Louis and myself from the Quote of the Day thread.

Originally Posted by Louis85
    Do we hope for things to change or are we better off if they stay the same?

Me
    I guess it's a cross between making sure you keep in mind that things will ALWAYS (eventually) change and also realizing that just sitting around and waiting for them not to (but complaining when they do) can do you harm. It can drive you into bitterness, madness.

I would just like to say that if there is anything that I can do to make it better here (or not make it worse), please say so. I don't want to be part of the problem.

As far as when this place was good or bad or whatever... Only being able to speak from personal experience, the place was at its height when it seemed to be in an air of love and family, which seems absent now, and I'm not sure if that's my fault or what. I do miss it, though. Sometimes I feel like we're suddenly all strangers. Again, that's just coming from my own personal spot... I know I can't speak for everyone there.

(or everyone here... see, even that one error seems like it's telling of something distant, doesn't it?)

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

I come here, daily - out of habit. There's not much left to discuss here, is there?

<majority of this post edited to avoid drama>

Guess we all just grew up.
    Keep your headphones on.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Detroit Butcher View Post
    Guess we all just grew up.
    explain/define

Am I a "you people"?
    That's racist!
    Or sexist!
    Or.....wait, who are the "you people(s)"?
    Tell me now.

now

no, now

now
    Not you. Never you. You were always down for the fun, even if you didn't understand it. Half of the fun was not understanding it, and letting it be whatever it was. Bootay. Horsedogs. Stoppy Stop. S.A.U.S.A.G.E. The Astral Plane. We used to have entire threads where nobody knew what the hell was going on, and nobody cared. We all just rolled with it. Even Elizabeth, who was our rolling matron of conscience, would add to the humor as she gently pooh-poohed it.

Then the police took over.

I think the beginning of the end was when Deity and Tybris hooked-up. Suddenly a whole bunch of things that used to be fun or funny weren't allowed to be fun or funny anymore. Then, it just increased as more and more people got older and found more and more things to be pissed about. Now, nothing is funny unless we import it. It's just fukkin sad.
    Alright
    Yeah...

explain/define
    I don't mean "grew up". I just mean, just like Be, we've all had lives to live during the last decade. Things like web forums, tend to fall by the wayside, and friendships along with them, sadly - and I'm not speaking for anyone but myself. I'm not even addressing the "things changed here" issue, Coz nailed it, and I'm as much to blame as anyone for killing the fun - but I have made dear, dear friends here too, which is why I keep coming back. to you all.

*Everything above is mostly what I decided not to say yesterday, but I think I put it better here. Whatever.
    Keep your headphones on.

Who are Deity and Tybris anyhow? I only see their stuff when I chase a slurp spider into an archive.
    S.A.U.S.A.G.E. sounds like fun.
    It seems like I'll always check in, unless a hurricane knocks out my power/dsl. I don't worry about how-it-will-all-end, all things come to an end. I'm just totally enjoying the ride.
    After all, WE ARE the Center Of The Universe. Call me delusional (thank you very much), but I honestly do believe that. The Infinite Universe and all Existence has a core, and for some reason, we are, on this very forum, at the center of it. Why do I think and feel this? Who knows? Who gives a cracker's ass? I just do and I like it and I have no problem being all alone with this feeling.
    So as long as there is movement in any thread, like Michael Jackson, I'll be there.
    Oh, but I won't be in the chat Friday. I'll be at the Twiztid show, bitches.

I think the beginning of the end was when Deity and Tybris hooked-up. Suddenly a whole bunch of things that used to be fun or funny weren't allowed to be fun or funny anymore. Then, it just increased as more and more people got older and found more and more things to be pissed about. Now, nothing is funny unless we import it. It's just fukkin sad.
    Hmm. I missed this part. Why did this happen? What happened?

We WILL find new laughter.

I'm not going to be crotchety and wish for the "good old days," but I do admit that I would have liked to be a member of the forum back when Be was posting regularly. By the time I came around, he had already stopped posting, and let's face it: one of the things that kept people coming back to the PM Dawn forum was the unique opportunity to communicate directly with PM Dawn. Most of the fan forums I've been to are just places where one guy says "I like so-and-so," and the next guy says "Yeah, me too," and then infrequently, the author/musician/actor will post and say "Hay guys thx for poasting". Although I can't say this with the benefit of first-hand experience, I can guess that there was something really special about this place when Be was posting all the time, because Be was posting all the time.
    How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethX View Post
    We WILL find new laughter.
    Elizabeth. I never gave up on this place.

and Jak too!
    Keep your headphones on.

+ Reply to Thread