+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Boxxy Phenomenon

I think she has learning difficulties.
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Etherspin View Post
    I think she has learning difficulties.

So short... so sweet.
    You own, Ether.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

chocolate rain - dude

boxxy - chick

i think that's why.

Kristen wins.
    So patience... is nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethX View Post
    Kristen wins.
    I don't believe that anyone was competing.
    How is that possible?

oK
    Here's my take:
    She is the embodiment of everything that is right and wrong and up-to-the-moment in today's popular culture. Her timing is exact, her delivery brilliant, and she may have had some promotion behind her. Plus, she's very good at make-up and hair.

I've been thinking about it, and I think my take is thus:
    Some people love Boxxy just because they are attracted to her. However, there are people (like me) who love her for a different reason. Boxxy is like a breath of fresh air to the people who are weary of the same dark cynicism, sarcasm and self-aware irony that has plagued the internet (and American youth culture) for years. It seems that nothing can be cute and guileless anymore without someone on the internet making their best efforts to corrupt it.

Regardless of whether Boxxy is a real person or a contrived character, Her wide-eyed wonder and unrestrained enthusiasm portray an openness of heart that most of us had at one time, and most of us miss. Etherspin mentioned a learning disability-- I don't think that Boxxy has any kind of developmental disorder (at least, not one that will handicap her), but many people with disorders that stunt mental growth [such as Down's Syndrome] are able to hold on to that earnestness and innocence for their whole lives.
    The Boxxy lovers are likely to describe Mr. Rogers as the kindest, most gentle man on television.

The people who hate her represent the very thing the Boxxy lovers don't want any more of. The Boxxy haters are the champions of the "it's so bad it's good" mindset, where ironic value supercedes true value. Their hearts are closed; they are so afraid of showing genuine emotion that they generally hide it all behind a mask of derision and indifference. This is a hipster. When they do show genuine emotion, they are ill-equipped to handle it, and they are consumed by them. This is an emo... and trust me, nobody likes an emo. These people hate Boxxy, because she shows them that there is another way.
    The Boxxy haters are likely to describe Mr. Rogers as a probable child molester.

In response to Wendy: I think she needs to take a break with the eyeliner, unless she thinks she's Queen Hatshepsut, or something.
    How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by xtristessax View Post
    chocolate rain - dude
    He's like a croaky-voiced Webster. He's a grad student, but he looks like a 15 year-old kid. Maybe a boy, maybe a butch girl... can't quite tell.
    How is that possible?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_aY7...eature=channel
    tay deserves to supercede Boxxy .. clearly
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04 View Post
    oK
    Here's my take:
    She is the embodiment of everything that is right and wrong and up-to-the-moment in today's popular culture. Her timing is exact, her delivery brilliant, and she may have had some promotion behind her. Plus, she's very good at make-up and hair.
    wendy wins.

Whatever. I think that people that buy into her are obviously unable to discern the genuine from the false. And, have a love of contrived youthful innocence... but then again, I AM cynical, and liken the love of contrived innocence to that of an appreciation for Lolita.

If easy-going optimism and cheer is what you're after, try exhibiting some yourself first before condemning those of us still with eyes to see. It'll be easier to take you seriously and come around to your way of thinking, or at least be able to share in a *genuine* appreciation for something.

I am only growing more passionate in my dislike for her as I witness a love for her grow. I am totally being influenced by the power of others emotions. In truth, in my natural state, I care very little for the issue. I have been provoked! It's your fault, I tell ya. Achoo.
    So patience... is nothing...

bless you

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethX View Post
    In truth, in my natural state, I care very little for the issue. I have been provoked! It's your fault, I tell ya. Achoo.
    It's about time you figured out why I posted this in the first place.
    These days, the only time people around here talk about anything is if they're provoked. If I wasn't able to successfully rouse a little rabble every now and then, I would have to go somewhere else to find something to read.
    How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak View Post
    It's about time you figured out why I posted this in the first place.
    These days, the only time people around here talk about anything is if they're provoked. If I wasn't able to successfully rouse a little rabble every now and then, I would have to go somewhere else to find something to read.
    Should you need any ideas, follow my lead.
    People won't argue with me though.
    I guess I'm just lame.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04 View Post
    Should you need any ideas, follow my lead.
    People won't argue with me though.
    I guess I'm just lame.
    not lame. you are just willing to see other peoples points of view and show kindness. no need to argue with you because with you are open-minded, empathetic, and show understanding.

If i had that much black eyeliner on , id mesmerise y'all as much as that boxxy girl.
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Fly on the wall since2003

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_aY7...eature=channel
    tay deserves to supercede Boxxy .. clearly
    Fuck! THAT WAS UNCALLED FOR. Rick Astley covered by the Chocolate Rain guy - that just killed my night.

You're gone son!
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

such an evil convergence!!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

If i had that much black eyeliner on , id mesmerise y'all as much as that boxxy girl.
    THIS is true.

Quote Originally Posted by xtristessax View Post
    not lame. you are just willing to see other peoples points of view and show kindness. no need to argue with you because with you are open-minded, empathetic, and show understanding.
    I must agree.
    and thank you

+ Reply to Thread