+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: dearest christian....im so very happy youve been out for ten years...love syxx....

dearest christian....im so very happy youve been out for ten years...love syxx....

ok...your favorite quirky or poignant moments about that time in your life when you first heard the album.....

me......poignant..(i was happy when i heard in august the album was coming out in october....then i got the "being so not for you" cassette single....and loved the song...and then the album came out and within the opening sustained note of "music for carnivores" this was gonna be their best album yet......i loved it...the cover...the opener....the closer moved me and freaked me out at the same time.....(on the brightside daddy got to sing his lalas after all)

quirky.,....i spent like 200$ that day....the day dearest christian came out(or i should say the first day i saw it in the stores).... motley crue greatest hits came out...pm dawn video collection came out...guns and roses video collection came out and wcw vs nwo revenge on the n64 came out....and yes i bought all..and camped out in my room for like 11 hours straight...
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

Quote Originally Posted by syxxpm View Post
    ok...your favorite quirky or poignant moments about that time in your life when you first heard the album.....
    It wasn't the first time I heard the album, but here goes:

I owned all the other albums and liked them just fine... bought Dearest Christian, listened to it a few times, thought it was OK, and then shelved it with the rest of my music.

Then one day in early 2001 I was up late doing notes for the last math course I needed to get my degree (4th year analytic number theory), and I randomly grabbed Dearest Christian and put it on repeat. After about the third time through, I suddenly realized that I was listening to some of the best music ever created... and I finally understood what the whole album was about, and how it all fit together.

Amazingly, that feeling still persists whenever I listen to it now. It is just so good.

Ever since that moment, when someone asks me who my favourite band/group/artist is, my response is always "PM Dawn".

My immediate reaction to "Dearest Christian" was more like Syxx's; as I listened to Music for Carnivores, I was thinking, "Man, this is brilliant," before Be's emotive vocals even came into the mix. I was just in the right (wrong?) mindspace at the time when I bought that album; 1998 was one of the worst years of my life; a perfect storm of personal turmoil. My stepmother died, a woman broke the hell out of my heart, and then I watched my grandfather, my greatest mentor, die a less-than-comfortable, less-than-dignified death. My job was becoming increasingly stressful, and I was starting to doubt the path I was taking in life. The weighty thread of alienation that ran through the duration of the album spoke to me on levels that I can't hope to do justice to in writing. I loved this album then, and it's still my favorite of the big four.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

On the corner of Grey Street and at the end of the world

I first heard about Dearest Christian on VH-1 (when it was cool to watch VH-1) they said they hadn't heard from PM Dawn in a while. My question was what cave were they hiding under. They played the I had no right video and of course I fell in love with the song, even though the sound was adult. And when the album came out, you best believe that I went out and bought it. Come to think of it, it was the first PM Dawn Album that I bought on cd. Like all the others, I played it straight through from beginning to end and it remains one of my favorites of all time.
    If it's my world too, then whose gold is this I'm digging out

I first came into contact with "Dearest Christian..." shortly after I pulled myself out of bed one early evening and went to Kmart to buy the Pleasantville soundtrack. I was mostly interested in Fiona Apple's cover of "Across the Universe". I believe I was then flipping through Prince CD's when I spotted "Dearest Christian...". I wasn't aware PM Dawn had a new album. I was very pleased and listened right away. As "Music for Carnivores" played I felt as if the music and vocals were coming from a clear and new space. But at the same time it resonated personally with me in an immediate sense. I loved it. The album felt new, inventive, and insightful. Everything I didn't know I needed at the time. It felt as if someone was helping me out. I still appreciate and enjoy the fresh and clear sense of honesty and insight I get from that album.

The first time I heard Dear Christian, was late, back in 2000 and I was in college. I started venturing out to other types of music because the stuff on the radio didn't interest me anymore. I picked it up and thought it was a really good album. I am interested in music that is synthetic and futuristic. I really liked Misery in Utero and I hate Myself for You. BY THE WAY......was that MAndy Moore doing some background vocals on I Hate Myself for You? Anyway.....I also liked Music for Carnivores. I still do not know the meaning of that song but it sounds great...
    I have found peace so let it continue......

I picked it up to complete my collection. I admired the continued mission to experiment and develop, but thought many of the songs sounded unpolished. Too much stuff like Be whispering lyrics so softly that I can't make them out, a lot of good nuclei of songs that could benefit from layering of instrumental textures (as in the Bliss album), and so forth.

I'd love to see something like Further Down the Spiral for Dearest Christian- a revisit to all those songs with different mixes, more instrumentation, and such as that. I would buy such an album twice!
    If you had one leg being pulled by reality, and one leg being pulled by spirituality, where would that leave you, huh?

The first time I heard Dearest Christian was back in '02 when I joined this forum. I've always been really, really ignorant about music and where to find out about music. I had gotten the first PM Dawn album through the BMG music club, and the second album at a used record store. So I didn't even know there were more until I came here. At which point I headed to ebay and picked up Dearest Christian and Jesus Wept.

My reaction to Dearest Christian was kind of like Psychoman: listened once, thought it was ok, then shelved it. I've learned, as I've gotten older, that this is a pattern for me: there are very few albums that I like the first time I hear them -- especially if the artist had an earlier album that I loved and this album doesn't sound exactly like it. But then when I give them a second chance I realize how awesome they are.

Def what happened with Dearest Christian. When I took it out to listen again, "Music for the Carnivores" and "Misery in Utero" really got ot me very quickly, and then the rest of the album followed suit.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

I got this album the minute it came out, and like a few others here, was floored by "Music for Carnivores". I actually felt the opposite of Hart about the last two songs I really liked the rawness of them. After listening to the album so much I thought "Being So Not For You" was the weakest song on the album. It was the "radio-ready" song, but it didn't seem to take the chances that the other songs did. Still, on an album that good, the weakest song is still better than some of the better songs from other artists!
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

The lights were completely dark in the arena as a solitary note rang through the air. Then all of a sudden you hear a bass guitar play the intro notes: duh duh duh duh duh da duh. The solitary note still hangs as a spotlight singles out the keys. People in the crowd whistle and cheer, knowing what is about to happen will be good. A second spotlight singles out the bassist as he plays the intro again: duh duh duh duh duh da duh. Only this time he keeps going. Now the drums kick in and third spot shows the drummer. This goes on for a minute or so as blissfully beautiful instrumentals ring through the arena. Finally Be and JC come on stage from the back in dark shades and glittery silvery jackets and the crowd goes wild. As the furor dies down Be lays into the vocals...

When the song is over amidst the cheering and the jubilation, Be lowers the shades, looks out into the crowd, and says "DAAAAAAAAAAMN!, There's a lotta y'all out there."

That's how I remember "Music for Carnivores." I already had the CD, had had it for a while, but that first P.M. Dawn concert (my first concert ever actually), well, that was a sight to see and not one to forget. That was like ten years ago this Christmas I think.

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Yeah, Music for Carnivores, I Had No Right, Untitled, and Hale Bopp I thought were all really, really extraordinary. I just would have liked many of the other tracks to match pace with the production values. All the song concepts are excellent and deserve much attention.
    If you had one leg being pulled by reality, and one leg being pulled by spirituality, where would that leave you, huh?

I asked for it for Christmas one year and got it (I was in high school back then). After we opened our presents, I went into my room and lay on my bed and listened to it from beginning to end and it was perfect and beautiful. I think maybe I ate some chocolates. I probably took a nap after that.

I had only been aware of Dearest Christian from I Had No Right playing one morning in my house on the radio-- top 40. I woke up from sleeping 'cause I heard the song and said to myself, 'hey, that's PM DAWN!!!" My mother had the radio on while cleaning the house that morning. She never did that. She never played top 40 radio, either. WEIRD. Otherwise it woulda taken me a while to become aware of its existence, I think.

I used to play that CD everywhere. I'd bring it to school and play it backstage during plays we did, and I'd bring it in the car and make people play it in their CD players when hanging out with friends. Some of them dug it, but I got a lot of shit for it from some people. Friends of mine actually made fun of me for liking PM Dawn. I was always like-- no, you gotta hear this. It's impossible to not like it. And they still laughed at me. Those fuckers only listened to stuff like Metallica. They're so wrong. Soulless.

I have this running list in my head of absolute best ways (songs) to start off an album, and Music for Carnivores is definitely on that list. The kind of stuff, you know, that just sucks you in and you are sold from second one-- it just really psyches you and preps you for the rest of the album and you realize that it's an experience-- not just your average 12 or 13 tracks of music on a disc. I was so hooked.

And, with most of our favorite albums I think, everything takes on a meaning for you that applies to your life-- particularly in that moment. Everything clicked and made sense for me. I "got" it.

Dean, I bet that concert was awesome. Hart, I totally don't agree with your opinions this time! :P
    So patience... is nothing...

this album will always mean a lot to me.. captures a lot of feelings.. raw and brutally honest.
    -TheXodus-

oh yeah, said it before & i'll say it again.. this album was released today, it would be in the spotlight. sounds more relevant than 90% of what's released today.
    -TheXodus-

I went to walmart the night before just before midnight release day I was able to get it from the box it was shipped in. Blasted it aloud in my hearse, after listening went home to rip it and sent a copy to Brian221.
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

Heheh - beat me to it, Brian.
    I did purchase the album the following day - but the Walmart in my college town wasn't open at midnight.
    I'm not signing this without my lawyer.

I have a question about that, actually. I was feeling like mine was probably bought at Wal-mart, but don't they have a reputation for censoring things?

What I'd like to know is-- what are the swears on the album in the lyrics, and where can they be found? I want to figure out if my copy is bad.
    So patience... is nothing...

Fly on the wall since2003

Quote Originally Posted by Brian221 View Post
    Heheh - beat me to it, Brian.
    I did purchase the album the following day - but the Walmart in my college town wasn't open at midnight.
    Ah... there's the "keep Be from ranting about mp3s" disclaimer
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethX View Post
    I have a question about that, actually. I was feeling like mine was probably bought at Wal-mart, but don't they have a reputation for censoring things?

What I'd like to know is-- what are the swears on the album in the lyrics, and where can they be found? I want to figure out if my copy is bad.
    Mine is censored... (only bit I can think of is in Art Deco Halos)...

Dearest Christian is one of the most heartfelt, saddest, musically incredible, ahead of it's time albums I've ever heard. It and Bliss Album are my favs.

+ Reply to Thread