+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VH1's 100 Greatest Hip Hop Songs

VH1's 100 Greatest Hip Hop Songs

Did anybody catch it last night? I think they are doing the top 40 tonight at 10... so like, after the debates (or during? tivo) it might be good....

Be and G!!! You guys were great. Way to go. That was awesome. I was so excited to see you on there.

Aside from PM Dawn wonderfulness, I thought the countdown itself was surprisingly good. AND, if you've ever seen any of these VH1 specials where they get commentary from various people on their ratings of things... I usually HATE it and think those people are absolutely useless to the point where I cry out "WHY are these people on TV???" and want to bash my head into the wall... but not this time! Some pretty good comments from relevant people and I related to so much of what was being said for a change.

Great song choices-- really takes me back (now I feel old). Only thing was... the placement or order of the songs so far I find a bit weird. I disagreed with some of the order so far. Also, are they doing just one song per artist? Because if so, I don't think LL Cool J's "I Need Love" (for one example) is the one to go with. I guess I'll have to wait and see. OH and I don't know why some of the more recent rappers are getting so much credit and such high rankings on this countdown. Maybe I just don't "get" them, I don't know. Anything "new" and popular out within the past 5 years or so is kinda lost on me. Other than that though... awesomeness. If you haven't seen it yet I'm sure it'll be on a million more times before this year is out. Check it out! Good stuff.

So patience... is nothing...

Fly on the wall since2003

Is this available to watch anywhere online?!?!?
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

it was nice to see them get the respect they deserve from other MCs.

I am totally boycotting it. No way "Jam On It" doesn't make the top 100.

GOOD TO SEE YA KRISTEN!!!
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

seriously i thought jam on it would be at least top 20. i mean, if a little white girl in the middle of the small town south knew that song by heart at age 4, then how could it not be???????

and thanks Coz. been a long time coming. busy with health stuff and music.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D View Post
    I am totally boycotting it. No way "Jam On It" doesn't make the top 100.
    That's because it was whack. I KID!!!!! I KID!!!!!

As far as I can see, It was one of the defining tracks of it's time. One of those pioneering moments. I did some reading up on it when I first signed on here after Ether.Tim explained who you were.

These "top 100" things are always bullshit anyway. Most of them are not even publicly voted...

BTW - Did De La Soul get on there?

Quote Originally Posted by A.Dulteror View Post
    BTW - Did De La Soul get on there?
    yes, me myself and i was somewhere between 60-80 i think.

Sorry I did not get the news in time to post sooner and started another post in the news section....

Just wanted to pass along to everyone some news if you did not already know....

PM Dawn is featured on VH1 - 100 Greatest Hip Hop Songs video countdown.

Countdown has already started airing on VH1. Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday they will air the entire countdown over 5 hour blocks - 20 songs per hour.

They may also feature commentary from the guys on other artists on the countdown throughout the show.

No idea what number they are on the list... they can't tell us you just have to watch!

Let me tell you, that 2 1/2 hour video interview had everyone in the room covering their mouths and bent over with stomach pain from all the laughing and hysteria from these two incredible people. Tune in and see for yourself!

Oh... shout out to the video crew who survived what they considered one of the best interviews they have ever done.... way too much excitement!
    Jenny-Promo

Found the video in the list on their website, but butt fuckers won't let people outside the US play the video!

Fuck I hate that shit.

lame - o!
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

lame-o? Is that all you've got? It's worse than that, Tim.

Let's hear a swear word, at least. And no ding dang doobly ned flanders shit neither.
    Last edited by Twisted.Mellow; 10-03-2008 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to add Ned Flanders clause...

Sorry Coz!

Yeah, De La Soul was on and I liked what Common had to say about them... how you could be hippie and be hip hop at the same time. People being allowed to be themselves or just be different is something special. Common and De La Soul are/seem pretty cool, though, so no surprise there.

So far I've only seen the boys do commentary one time! Still haven't caught the top 40 though. I hope they didn't cut all the best of their contributions to the comments.

Aussie guys, I'm sure someone over here could hook you up with a recording or something of the show... ?

I did catch that when they were preparing everyone to announce the number one song... they showed clips of several groups and what their response was to the question === what song do you think should be number one.... they did include PM Dawn's response. Very nice positioning in the show to have such. I have seen the first forty videos (40-1) countdown and there are a couple of spots the guys are shown. They did give Ice T and a handful of others A Lot of talk time.
    Jenny-Promo

Check out the site www.thegreatest.vh1.com to see extra videos from the show. Check out the THEN AND NOW section for video footage on the guys.
    Jenny-Promo

PM Dawn are hippies?

That's what I always used to think.

pm dawn, de la soul, and others were classified as "Hippie Hop" for along time. what that means i have no idea.

They aren't quite hippies or Zen or rap or whatever they've been called. They are just GOOD.

I definitely feel they had a real hippie vibe going on. It really spoke to me and it helped me to really embrace things inside myself that I had been afraid to show to the world, and blossom into the person I truly wanted to be during some very formative years. To me PM Dawn was perfection-- the music, the voice, the words, the appearance... it didn't get any better. It was as if it were the perfect expression of what things really were.

It's an inspiration when, through showing you something beautiful, one is encouraged to be different and be yourself because you are also beautiful. I got to grow deeper into my "hippie" self with this kind of encouragement.

Maybe it was never intended and maybe it was all a big accident, but it was meant to be for me and now I am a better person for it. "Hippie" or not, it's hippie to me. Peace and love is hippie.

I can't see it in the uk either
    IF YOU CANT BEAT THEM, AVOID THEM FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

+ Reply to Thread