+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Creation of Whiteness

The Creation of Whiteness

This guy has quite an insight on the New Orleans situation.

http://www.redroom.com/video/tim-wis...whiteness-clip
    I love the summer months!

Wow, no response from the intelligentsia of this board. I'm not sure how to take that. Coz? Mistress? Wheel? Ether? Liz? Anyone?

I watched it, thought it was quite insightful actually.

Mr. Coz and Chief were probably in conniptions, so they didn't respond.

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Sorry, Louis, haven't been around as much cause of moving, just watched the video...

The ideas he's talking about aren't new, although he articulates them very well. You should check out a book by David Roediger called "The Wages of Whiteness" which was the ground-breaking bbook which talked about the development of the idea of whiteness in the working class community.

Overall, his argument is the classical Marxist one which is that race is only an issue to mask the real issue which is class. And I completely agree with this. There are more poor people than wealthy people, but dividing us by culture/ by race/ etc. is the best way to keep the population down, prevent revolution.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Absolutely. I've been saying that for a while and didn't know it was Marxist.
    So patience... is nothing...

Barney Freakin' Rubble

I can't get it to play. Busy week at work and they block streaming video... Now at home I can't get it to play (goes to first 2 seconds and freezes).
    Peace

Fly on the wall since2003

Quote Originally Posted by Louis85 View Post
    Wow, no response from the intelligentsia of this board. I'm not sure how to take that. Coz? Mistress? Wheel? Ether? Liz? Anyone?
    Well, I don't no how Cheef, pmFan or Wendie etc feal, but I feal verie unintelligentsia...
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Shut down other apps and it finally worked.

Interesting perspective... I never looked at it from that angle.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M View Post
    Sorry, Louis, haven't been around as much cause of moving, just watched the video...

The ideas he's talking about aren't new, although he articulates them very well. You should check out a book by David Roediger called "The Wages of Whiteness" which was the ground-breaking bbook which talked about the development of the idea of whiteness in the working class community.

Overall, his argument is the classical Marxist one which is that race is only an issue to mask the real issue which is class. And I completely agree with this. There are more poor people than wealthy people, but dividing us by culture/ by race/ etc. is the best way to keep the population down, prevent revolution.
    Co-signed.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

it seems on point as far as I've watched ( it locked up at about 1/2 way) - with my limited knowledge of American history..
    as I personally havent read anything on the specific topic I found it very interesting and insightful
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

I GUess with my reputation around here I better not comment. Um, Insightful
    I have found peace so let it continue......

Quote Originally Posted by A.Dulteror View Post
    Well, I don't no how Cheef, pmFan or Wendie etc feal, but I feal verie unintelligentsia...
    you need to do a better job of sounding pretentious if you wanna be invoked like that or for a quick fix you could make a new avatar in which you have a monocle
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Dulteror View Post
    I didn't mean to leave you and the rest of the people on your list out, sir, except for Chief. I short-sightedly listed the people on the board that I expected to respond to this type of topic. I view all of you as intelligentsia--except for Chief.

My bad.
    Last edited by Louis85; 08-11-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Intelligent Posts :11

Pipi Longstocking is freakin hot...i sooo want to yank her hair........................

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    Pipi Longstocking is freakin hot...i sooo want to yank her hair........................
    Werd.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis85 View Post
    I didn't mean to leave you and the rest of the people on your list out, sir, except for Chief. I short-sightedly listed the people on the board that I expected to respond to this type of topic. I view all of you as intelligentsia--except for Chief.

My bad.
    'Scool. Just shit stirrin'

THIS IS HOW YOU "SHIT STIR", MY FRIEND:

Russian Marxists' perspective:
    In the ideology of Bolsheviks, intelligentsia is not a real class; its status is described by the Russian word "prosloyka", which is normally translated as "stratum," but in this context bears a deteriorative nuance. In other words, intelligentsia does not have a "real" place in the structure of the society: it is a midlayer between "toilers" and "exploiters". Intelligentsia grows by means of "recruiting" from among the people of labor, but its produce, i.e., the produce of its intellectual labor is just a sort of goods ordered and paid by the exploiter class. Hence its independence is a mere ideological illusion, and in fact intelligentsia is by large a class of "lackeys" of bourgeoisie and landowners. While de facto being an exploited category, en masse it lacks the revolutionary drive. Ironically, this theory was put forth by the representatives of intelligentsia itself, notably Vladimir Lenin and Leon Trotsky among many others. In particular, Lenin is famous for his caustic remark that "[the] intelligentsia is not the 'brain of the nation', it is the 'shit of the nation'".

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04 View Post
    Russian Marxists' perspective:
    In the ideology of Bolsheviks, intelligentsia is not a real class; its status is described by the Russian word "prosloyka", which is normally translated as "stratum," but in this context bears a deteriorative nuance. In other words, intelligentsia does not have a "real" place in the structure of the society: it is a midlayer between "toilers" and "exploiters". Intelligentsia grows by means of "recruiting" from among the people of labor, but its produce, i.e., the produce of its intellectual labor is just a sort of goods ordered and paid by the exploiter class. Hence its independence is a mere ideological illusion, and in fact intelligentsia is by large a class of "lackeys" of bourgeoisie and landowners. While de facto being an exploited category, en masse it lacks the revolutionary drive. Ironically, this theory was put forth by the representatives of intelligentsia itself, notably Vladimir Lenin and Leon Trotsky among many others. In particular, Lenin is famous for his caustic remark that "[the] intelligentsia is not the 'brain of the nation', it is the 'shit of the nation'".

This is the truth. Welcome to why I left the academy.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Fukkin Commies...
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

+ Reply to Thread