+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Erykah Badu -- any other fans?

Erykah Badu -- any other fans?

About a trillion years ago, I got (and have always cherished) her first album. Don't know why I never got any more, until the other day I just got it into my head to get her other albums.

I've been listening to her grooves all day, and I'm re-in-love. I've always been really blown away by her jazz-inspired scatting and improv. Any other fans on here?
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

I don't think I can claim to be a fan, but I remember being in 7th grade and loving her addition to "You Got Me" when Things Fall Apart was released. If I remember correctly, I don't think I really liked Jill Scott singing it (in comparison) on Come Alive, but I haven't listened to that album in a long time. I'll have to pull it out this weekend.

Other than that, she's just one of the artists that I never had a chance to get into, though I liked what I heard.

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

I liked the first few songs she did.
    Then I got kinda' bored with her whole novelty thing.
    Then I gave her other cd a chance because Raphael Saadiq (sweet) worked with her on it and I really liked Love of My Life. The video for that song is bada$$, too. That song and video established her positively in my mind.

I bought her first album and liked it, but I got tired of her, because I thought her antics started to overshadow her art. I liked seeing her on Block Party with Jill Scott, though.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

I don't know much about her antics, other than her being a pothead. I can't get "Back in the Day" out of my head!! But I like her stuff because it has so much maturity to it -- the political songs are relevant, the love songs are about the complicated nature of adult relationships ("Next Lifetime" was always a favorite of mine on that front Oh what am I supposed to do/ when I want you in my world/ but how can I want you for myself/ when I'm already someone's girl/ guess I'll see you next lifetime).

I like her in the same way I like PM Dawn -- as part of that older, gen-x smart hip-hop style when people wrote great songs about life and philosophy, not just about money and sex and how badass they are (which, I've never figured out btw, I mean doesn't everyone know that if you have to SAY you're badass then you're not that badass?! )
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M View Post
    I don't know much about her antics, other than her being a pothead.
    I remember her saying a lot of wacky stuff, at awards shows and what-not back in the day. Besides, if you look in her eyes, she just looks stone-cold crazy. And I don't think she brushes her teeth, either.

I can't get "Back in the Day" out of my head!! But I like her stuff because it has so much maturity to it -- the political songs are relevant, the love songs are about the complicated nature of adult relationships ("Next Lifetime" was always a favorite of mine on that front Oh what am I supposed to do/ when I want you in my world/ but how can I want you for myself/ when I'm already someone's girl/ guess I'll see you next lifetime).
    I liked "Next Lifetime," but "On and On" is still my favorite, 'cuz that's what motivated me to buy her album in the first place. I remember in some commercial (Levi's, maybe?), there was a DJ playing a drum & bass remix of "On and On," and it was really cool, too.

I like her in the same way I like PM Dawn -- as part of that older, gen-x smart hip-hop style when people wrote great songs about life and philosophy, not just about money and sex and how badass they are
    What can I say? The music industry discovered that the money and sex and violence is what the buying public wanted, so they responded to a need. The smarter acts have never gone away, but they just don't get the kind of attention they deserve, because the listeners have shown time and again that they prefer vacuous bombast and morally bankrupt lyrics about the same old shit-- promotion of materialism, endorsement of misogyny, devaluation of sex, glorification of violence.

(which, I've never figured out btw, I mean doesn't everyone know that if you have to SAY you're badass then you're not that badass?! )
    I wouldn't say that. Muhammad Ali was one of the most badass people ever, and he is as well known for his braggadocio as he is for his skill in the ring. In nature, Lions roar, diamondbacks rattle, wolves growl, bulls bellow. Power comes with a lot of noise just about so often as it comes without.
    How is that possible?

rugay

ruchiefssister
    How is that possible?

yesiamchiefssisterandwehaveincestuoussexeverytuesd ay

Does Badu have any new songs? I don't listen to radio or watch tv much.
    Last edited by wendyful04; 03-28-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Depends what you mean by "new" -- her "New Amerykah: part One (4th World War)" album was released last year. It's pretty hot. Although I think the Worldwide underground album from 2003 is my favorite.

I think you're all wrong about Erykah. She is a beautiful person and musician. I wouldn't even call her a pothead.

I think she is capable of amazing music and sometimes her vocals are so effortless. I think that the pity is, usually her weakest songs are the ones that make it as singles. I would say that she is also sometimes so free with herself that she doesn't restrict or filter herself, which can cause some things to seem less polished or refined, but she's just comfortable in her own skin and I have to hand that to her.

I have her first album, her live album, and Mama's Gun (which I do recommend very much).

I don't know what you people are talking about with antics and novelty. She's a spiritual person, and a goddess.

I made an Erykah Badu puppet in high school as part of drama class. It was so cool.
    So patience... is nothing...

When I say she's a pothead, it's meant as a compliment

Pshhhhh

So patience... is nothing...

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

I Dig Badu.
    Keep your headphones on.

+ Reply to Thread