+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Web domain questions

Web domain questions

Ok, lots of computer-savy people here, and many of you have your own websites.

Eventually, I'd like to start a herbalist business. The domain name I want is open right now, and I'm thinking of snagging it now for down the road. Does anyone have a suggestion of:

1) who to purchase a domain name from?
    2) who to host my website?

At some point, I'll prolly need someone to design a website too, but that's not now.

I was thinking about Yahoo! because the first year is $1.99 for the domain, and they also do web hosting for later on. But I wanted to run this by y'all first for sugestions. Thanks!!
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Personally, I have had great success with 1and1 (www.1and1.com). They have packages that are cheap and include domain registration and have lots of features. They include lots of tools and prebuilt features. The domain and its functionality is really easy to maintain, really easy to set up things like email, and service seems quite reliable to me. Oh, and private domain registration is free.
    Peace

Wow, just looked into it, and seems like a really great deal. Thanks for the lead, pmfan!!!
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

The golden rule of the hosting world is "you get what you pay for"

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ighlight=1and1

having been in the hosting world for many years now I would damn near not trust any webhost, you'd be amazed how many kids start up a webhost in a weekend and make some money only for it to end in disaster when something happens to the server and they don't understand how to fix it.

Try http://dixiesys.com/ I used to work in the data center where their servers are and assist them in maintenance. Good honest owner and respectable business practices.

For domains I prefer domainsite.com

If all else fails you are welcome to some space on one of my servers.

Thanks Hax!! That looks really good. But I would need someone to design and maintain the web pages for me if I don't know anything ab out computers? Do they have a program for it?

Also: uh-oh! well I purchased the domain name through 1and1 -- that has nothing to do with the hosting, right? I can still have it hosted by someone else, right? Or am I stuck now?

ETA: After reading all those scary things about 1and1, I decided to cancel the account there and transfer it to dixiesys. Seems worth the extra 10$ a year.
    Last edited by Mistress M; 08-06-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

For what it's worth - I have never had a billing issue with 1and1. Looks to me like most of the billing complaints are idiots that sign up for something and then change their mind or cancel something and don't have it clearly cancelled (basically dumbass users).

I have set up 2 businesses, 2 organizations, and my own personal space there. no fancy dedicated servers, just plain shared hosting. Never a problem.

One of the businesses I set up and turned over to the business owners. Easy transfer of ownership (3 domains [.com, .net, .org], 5 email accounts, and a web site). They never had a problem.

One organization had a domain registered with GoDaddy (.com). I registered 2 domains with 1and1 (.net and .org) and set up 20 email accounts (some email, some forwards). I got their .com transferred from GoDaddy to 1and1 so it is all in one place (easier for me; cheaper, too). They have not had a problem in the few years it has been running.

One church ran fine with 3 domains, several emails addresses, several forwards, web site, etc. When it came time to cancel the account, I never had a problem.

I have 4 domains, several email addresses, several forwards, a forum, etc all running, hosted, and registered with 1and1 - never had a problem. I did have a problem with my former registrar, which was my own fault. I had an old email address on my domain registry so I never got the notice that my domain was expiring. I renewed to make it current, then transferred it to 1and1 which made me add another year with the transfer. Sounded reasonable to me - it is not like I only want the domain for a year. Now it is registered and hosted with the rest of my stuff and the domain registration is private for free - most registrars I have seen charge for that.

A friend of mine at work has his church hosted there and has never had any problems. In fact he is looking forward to the prepackaged applications coming online. I have already beat him to trying out phpBB. Works fine to me...

I guess my point is that most of the horror stories are just that. The tech support that you get tends to be 3rd world, but I have never had questions that could not be answered or issues that could not be resolved. I think I get a lot more than I pay for - and have for several years now.

I am not affiliated with them nor do I gain anything if you sign up, so go with whomever you feel most comfortable with, makes no difference to me. I just wanted to say that is is not as bad as some folks may say.
    Peace

Thanks pmfan!

You might be able to help me with the next question, too: is there a software program or something that helps you build web pages that you like?

Notepad

Okay...Dreamweaver is a great web page editor. If you're looking for an easy way to build and manage content of a site dynamically, then look into Joomla.
    I'm not signing this without my lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian221 View Post
    Notepad

Okay...Dreamweaver is a great web page editor. If you're looking for an easy way to build and manage content of a site dynamically, then look into Joomla.
    Look, mr smartypants....

j/k! I'm going to try to take a class in web design this year. Is dreamweaver/ joomla ok for someone who doesn't know html? Joomla is suggesting that once the site is up, the admin doesn't need htmal, but that seems like the designer does. Dreamweaver I know is the shyte but it's hella expensive.

What's the chance there's something out there with, say templates or something?

Fly on the wall since2003

Quote Originally Posted by Brian221 View Post
    Notepad
    Hell, that's what I use.
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

Joomla or other cms's are the way to go if you want a in depth site really quick. They are quick and clean. And easy to add content without much if any coding background. since you are looking to probably sell something http://www.zen-cart.com/ is real easy. If you want content with selling items joomla is the way to go. There are a few paypal and credit card modules to add to it.
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

Wow, thanks guys! The advice has been great. Brian has generously helped me by setting up a database and uploading joomla to the site for me. I'm glad, eternals, that it is good for content AND shopping stuff -- I may ask you later on how to do the paypal and creidt card modules.

Once I get something going, I'll post the link so y'all can see it! How exciting! Soon, I won't just be Mistress M, I'll be Webmistress M.

just send me some comfrey

Quote Originally Posted by eternals layre View Post
    just send me some comfrey
    Absolutely! Any particular reason for that one? I know it's usually used internally for digestive problems and ulcers, or externally for wounds or eczema. Is that what you use it for, or for something else?

Intelligent Posts :11

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M View Post
    Soon, I won't just be Mistress M, I'll be Webmistress M.

Getting into politics I see....

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M View Post
    Absolutely! Any particular reason for that one? I know it's usually used internally for digestive problems and ulcers, or externally for wounds or eczema. Is that what you use it for, or for something else?
    broil it as a tea for upset stomach

+ Reply to Thread