+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye my old friend... :)

Fly on the wall since2003

Goodbye my old friend... :)

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It was with a heavy heart today that I said goodbye to my Street Fighter II arcade machine. Incredibly, I got my asking price and managed to sell it locally (in a town with about 2000 people!?!?!?) without having to transport this heavy beast.

Attached to this post are some pictures of this lovely unit. I sold it so I could afford (and have the room for) a drum kit. Things you do...

Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

Right on. I'm currently restoring a Tempest machine!
    Keep your headphones on.

That doesn't look like a refurb A.Dulteror. Did you paint over or remove the side graphics? Was that a transplant?

Good God almighty, DJ! I'd love to have a Tempest machine...so would my Dad.

I understand they have issues with the control knob and that they're hard to replace/find replacements. I've read some people using different style knobs, but there's just something about the feel of the original with it's "feedback".
    "...Because all you of Earth are idiots!" - Eros, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

Fly on the wall since2003

It is a transplant to an old cabinet that was fixed up. The header board I did myself in Photoshop, and the moves chart is the original. The game board also had the original manual with it... couple of collector's bits... shame to see it go.
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

i actually have ryus theme burnt onto a cd that i used to play in my car when i felt goofy....
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

Oh my god, Josh is about to do the exact same thing, only he's proposing selling all of his video games.
    So patience... is nothing...

That's sad. I'm sorry you two had to go your separate ways=\

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkman View Post
    That doesn't look like a refurb A.Dulteror. Did you paint over or remove the side graphics? Was that a transplant?

Good God almighty, DJ! I'd love to have a Tempest machine...so would my Dad.

I understand they have issues with the control knob and that they're hard to replace/find replacements. I've read some people using different style knobs, but there's just something about the feel of the original with it's "feedback".
    There are a LOT of issues with this game, but I've done Ridiculous amounts of homework ... I'll post pics when it's finished
    Keep your headphones on.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Detroit Butcher View Post
    There are a LOT of issues with this game, but I've done Ridiculous amounts of homework ... I'll post pics when it's finished
    Yeah, I've heard of problems with the flashy buttons Atari used, also. But still, ya gotta have them for that "classic" look.

None of that even rates tho... it's the fact that Tempest was the first Color Vector arcade game and Atari hadn't really figured out Color Vector Monitors yet ... They are basically time bombs and will always die, no matter what, which is why a working model is worth so much on ebay, etc ... Fortunately it's literally about 15 dollars for the repair kit for this particular monitor...
    Keep your headphones on.

A guy I used to know once said something about the repair kit you mentioned. He also said that was the most frightening part of arcade machine repair, messing with the tube. Lot of charge built up in those...even after 10 years sitting around unplugged.

Weren't the original tubes Atari used in Tempest an oddball size? 30+ inch screen or something?

Not sure, but they are mounted vertically and are an odd oval shape. Lucky for me, this monitor only recently blew (it looks like it's already been restored once at least) ... and it came with all the original paperwork and shit, and I don't have to touch the tube, it's all parts on a mini mobo. I don't have a camera right now but I'll try to get some pics of my unit up soon...
    Keep your headphones on.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Hey, do you guys have the music to Tempest?
    Peace

what music? there's no music in this game
    Keep your headphones on.

I have the tempest 2000 soundtrack if that's what you're looking for (from atari jaguar).
    I'm not signing this without my lawyer.

I was gonna say...the original Tempest had no music, just sound effects.

Brian has what I believe you're looking for.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Aren't we talking about the game with a joy-stick that you manipulate your ship around the edge of an odd shaped tube-is thing, firing down at all of the other bugs/ships/robots/whatever climbing toward you? That is what I was thinking about. And back in the 80's I thought it had cool, fast music... or maybe I have the wrong game... I really used to play a lot of Galaga!

Brian, is Tempest 2000 from the early 80's? Maybe that is it. I would love to hear it again.
    Peace

Barney Freakin' Rubble

What was the game that featured a huge skeleton's head? You had to take your ship and shoot asteroids to find crystals to kill it. As it collected crystals, it built itself into a big thing and then chased you... What was it? Was there ever a PC version or hack? I liked that one, as well. It was tough (at least for me and my quarters).
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan View Post
    What was the game that featured a huge skeleton's head? You had to take your ship and shoot asteroids to find crystals to kill it. As it collected crystals, it built itself into a big thing and then chased you... What was it? Was there ever a PC version or hack? I liked that one, as well. It was tough (at least for me and my quarters).
    You are thinking of SINISTAR?

You need Mame32!
    Keep your headphones on.

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan View Post
    Aren't we talking about the game with a joy-stick that you manipulate your ship around the edge of an odd shaped tube-is thing, firing down at all of the other bugs/ships/robots/whatever climbing toward you?
    It looked like this

It used a spinner tho, not a joystick - very difficult with a joystick!
    Keep your headphones on.

+ Reply to Thread