+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tune

Fly on the wall since2003

Tune

OK, so I'm exposing myself to some major criticism here, but take a listen to this and let me know what you think...

http://www.codemaster.com.au/temp/drive.mp3

Done with Nuendo for mixing, Fruityloops for drum tracks, and my Yamaha RBX 5 string bass (all sounds except drums).

Would be particularly interested in what musos think of the levels and mix.

Peace.
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

I like it, or at least it's potential. Is it finished?
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Intelligent Posts :11

WOW...sounds a lot like some U2 stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D View Post
    I like it, or at least it's potential. Is it finished?
    Well, to me it is (intended to be an instrumental). Would have liked a bit of atmospheric vibe in the background, but didn't have a midi controller then...

Quote Originally Posted by Chief View Post
    WOW...sounds a lot like some U2 stuff

That sounds like a compliment! Alas, I can't stand Boner... I mean Bono.

Now for some really cringe-worthy stuff - here's a track with MY VOCAL! AAGGHH!!! These tracks are part of a three track EP I did in a week's worth of evenings while the missus was away. No outside help, all myself.

http://www.codemaster.com.au/temp/let_it_out.mp3

Again, Nuendo, Fruity, and my 5str RBX - and me doing a soft rap (with a vocal effect. Sound like shit otherwise!)

I won't put up the other track off the EP - mainly because it has me actually SINGING, but it's a mix of heavy rock chrous and reggae verse... a bit 311...

Quote Originally Posted by A.Dulteror View Post
    Well, to me it is (intended to be an instrumental). Would have liked a bit of atmospheric vibe in the background, but didn't have a midi controller then...
    Needs melody and a bit more accompaniment, for my tastes anyway.
    Now for some really cringe-worthy stuff - here's a track with MY VOCAL! AAGGHH!!! These tracks are part of a three track EP I did in a week's worth of evenings while the missus was away. No outside help, all myself.

http://www.codemaster.com.au/temp/let_it_out.mp3

Again, Nuendo, Fruity, and my 5str RBX - and me doing a soft rap (with a vocal effect. Sound like shit otherwise!)

I won't put up the other track off the EP - mainly because it has me actually SINGING, but it's a mix of heavy rock chrous and reggae verse... a bit 311...
    Yeah, you should really have something once you are able to add some keys or other accompaniment.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Cheers!

Once I get the roland in a few weeks I'll experiment. I've got so many MIDI plugins with wave overlays and sound fonts it's gonna take me months just to figure out what I can do with it...

What's wrong with Bono?

Anyway, Ian, I only listened to your vocal track so far. I thought it was pretty good! The vocals surprised me. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought they were really well done. You did good. =)

love,
    Elizabeth
    So patience... is nothing...

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Would be particularly interested in what musos think of the levels and mix.
    Just an observation on the drums for Drive... The tom sounds echoed and distant. The rest of the drum kit (kick, hi-hat and crash/ride) sound flatter, more natural as though they were being played close to in front of you. So, while most of the drum kit sounds real and in front of you, the tom sticks out like someone striking a hollow log/bamboo/something echoey further in the background.

Listening to it several times, the break where the crash is run backwards, then forward (about 2:27), seems a bit long in between. To me it feels like the break is 2 - 4 times too long. As fast as the song is going, and as fast as the bass is going, it seems like it should continue quicker - or maybe even slower - like twice as long as it currently is. Do you consider this 132 bpm? The main sound of the crash backwards is 4 beats, the break is 4 beats, then the main sound of the crash forward is 4 beats. It seems like there could be either more in the middle to get to the forward crash, or a shorter break to make it a little more interesting. By shorter, I mean like 3 1/2 beats reverse crash, 1/2 beat break, then crash forward. Just a suggestion...

Really cool overall!
    Peace

Barney Freakin' Rubble

With regards to Let it Out, it reminds me of a late 60's hazy, psychedelic tune. The vocals definitely contrast the beat with as fast as they go. The processing and panning on the vocals sound cool on the headphones!

I don't know if the music really reflects the feeling of the words, though... maybe if more melody was added it would feel a bit different... The words feel like you are spitting it out fast and hard (keeping strong, bottling it all up until you can let it all out on the microphone), but the tune in the background is slow and swaying - almost a little dark and foreboding.

Just my opinions - you asked for it!
    Peace

There was this band in Australia called Pre.Shrunk(disbanded now) who produced kind of doof style bass tracks (they were actually two basses and a drummer). "Drive" is kind of a tip of the hat to them... anyway:

pm, you kinda lost me about halfway through the second paragraph

But - The break in the middle is kindof like stopping to catch your breath, you know? Long enough to get a few deep breaths and then bang - straight back in even harder...

I agree, the hats and kick could have done with a little more reverb on Drive - but are you talking about Let It Out?

There's actually two snares in Let It Out - the first is a standard close up straight hit, while the second is intended to sound more like a roto tom or a snare with the coils dropped... unfortunately, I don't have very many drum samples, and until I get a kit (hopefully soon - gotta sell my Street Fighter II arcade machine first), I'm stuck with digital drums. Computerised drums tracks have their place, just not in my music. I would much rather a real kit.

I also agree it's a bit short. I just felt that if it dragged on like other similar style tracks, I'd just be milking track time. It's got the blunt, to the point feel that I intended - didn't intend it to be one of those trance tracks that feel like they should have ended three hours ago...

And yep, about 132 - can't remember, don't have the masters anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethX View Post
    What's wrong with Bono?

Anyway, Ian, I only listened to your vocal track so far. I thought it was pretty good! The vocals surprised me. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought they were really well done. You did good. =)

love,
    Elizabeth
    Bono is a knob.

I'm not terribly happy with the vocals, but not too shabby for written and recorded in, like, 3 hours...

These tracks were never intended as demos or anything excessively polished...

They're just for me and anyone who I want to play them to.

Kind of like my own little F*cked Music

Barney Freakin' Rubble

pm, you kinda lost me about halfway through the second paragraph

But - The break in the middle is kind of like stopping to catch your breath, you know? Long enough to get a few deep breaths and then bang - straight back in even harder...
    Yea, I was basically saying it felt to me like the break could be shorter (to emphasize the quick break, but right back into it) or longer with a little more "stuff" thrown in to build it harder (but just a few beats longer). I sometimes find it hard to explain what I sense and feel, so I end up rambling on...
    I agree, the hats and kick could have done with a little more reverb on Drive - but are you talking about Let It Out?
    No, I was talking about Drive. Starting with a crisp hihat pattern, then the kick-kick-kick-tom. The kick has a crispness to it - almost like the sound you hear resonate off of the snare when it is close to the kick. The tom sounds echoy and a little distant, like a bongo more than a tom. All other percussion is crisp and closer feeling.

What did you do after the break to get the high bass to sound like that - about 2:30 and on, panned a bit to the right, slowly moves around a little?
    Peace

A little stereo chorus - not too much, just enough to make it float. Yeah, maybe the snare could have been a more crisp sample... could have tweaked it a bit...

OK - Got myself a midi controller for my birthday, and after a couple of nights fiddling with it (the controller that is ), produced the following track in 1 hr. Not bad if I do say so myself... Be interested to hear what y'all think... I call it "Fallen Numbers".

http://www.codemaster.com.au/temp/fallen_numbers.mp3

OK - Got myself a midi controller for my birthday, and after a couple of nights fiddling with it (the controller that is ), produced the following track in 1 hr. Not bad if I do say so myself... Be interested to hear what y'all think... I call it "Fallen Numbers".

http://www.codemaster.com.au/temp/fallen_numbers.mp3
    VERY nice groove! Needs a melody.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D View Post
    VERY nice groove! Needs a melody.

Yeah, I thought it needed a melody too. Wast just nice to try soloing over the top and have it as a bit of a jam... I don't normally write shit like that, but that's what popped into my head when I found the drum loop. All instruments apart from drums are done with Nuendo plugins and the midi controller. Some really nice effects with the Poly wavestation and stuff...

Nice work, keep pluggin at it!
    Alright
    Yeah...

heard the first one you posted and the latest.. both great ! havent heard any vocal yet,will try that link again .. kudos tho Ian,nice work
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Old ones were removed from the FTP site... thanks for the compliments...

+ Reply to Thread