+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: hooo shitt new pm dawn track!!

Fly on the wall since2003

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D View Post
    That doesn't make sense. You think that people would dislike a song because they don't recognize a sample?
    A known sample might draw them in to listen a bit closer to the song. Audiences attention spans are much shorter these days, due to to amount of stimulus surrounding them. The market is flooded, and you've got a very short time to grab someone's attention. This applies to both music and advertising these days.

Using a known sample is more likely to get someone to listen a bit longer, and then you've got a better chance of drawing them in.

This is the reason they use cartoon characters on the side of boring kid's snack foods. You've got to draw them in.

This may not be Be's angle, but it's a common one.
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

I could cop that track all by my lonesome without using a single sample or outside musician. In fact, I would make it sound even better. It's the mentality of WANTING to use samples that Be just can't get around.
    I don't think it's a case of WANTING to use samples - isn't sampling what he's known for? That's his thing. It's his niche. His stand out thing.

What if Starbucks stopped selling coffee, and only sold carbonated drinks instead? Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Dulteror View Post
    I don't think it's a case of WANTING to use samples - isn't sampling what he's known for? That's his thing. It's his niche. His stand out thing.

What if Starbucks stopped selling coffee, and only sold carbonated drinks instead? Same thing.
    It is a case of his wanting to use them. I've preached to him about it forever.

His songs are what he's known for. The Dearest Christian album had no samples and neither did "I'd Die Without You".

The climate has changed, you either adapt or you lose. Sampling has become so expensive that it is prohibitive to everyone except those with the largest of budgets. Sooner or later he will have to face that reality. Until he does he will be making song after song that gets heard on the internet but never released. This may be another of them.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Well Coz BE is an old skool cat.. he still makes music like he's on a big label. If you were looking at PM Dawn from a business standpoint. You would make a PM Dawn album using a couple of musicians..a very indie record that highlights BE's songwriting ability, different styles. No Sampling, No covers! You would put it out on Karmis and release it on iTunes so everyone around the world would have access to it, very easily. So producing the record would cost very little, and through word of mouth and performing you could make some money back. That doesn't seem to be what they are doing though.
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

His songs are what he's known for. The Dearest Christian album had no samples and neither did "I'd Die Without You".
    His songs are what a number of people know him for, but a large cross section of people would know him more as a pioneer of the sample. I agree that avoiding samples might be a financial benefit to him, but this was his foundation.

Music for Carnivores used a sample. I'm not being a smartass there, just pointing out that on an album that appears entirely devoid of samples, he still chucked one in.

The climate has changed, you either adapt or you lose. Sampling has become so expensive that it is prohibitive to everyone except those with the largest of budgets. Sooner or later he will have to face that reality. Until he does he will be making song after song that gets heard on the internet but never released. This may be another of them.
    I agree with you about adaption. Any act who keeps peddling the same shit year in, year out, will slowly fade into oblivion. As I said before, you've got very little opportunity these days to capture an imagination or a heart. What is the cost of sampling these days, btw? Any examples for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Hero1 View Post
    Well Coz BE is an old skool cat.. he still makes music like he's on a big label. If you were looking at PM Dawn from a business standpoint. You would make a PM Dawn album using a couple of musicians..a very indie record that highlights BE's songwriting ability, different styles. No Sampling, No covers! You would put it out on Karmis and release it on iTunes so everyone around the world would have access to it, very easily. So producing the record would cost very little, and through word of mouth and performing you could make some money back. That doesn't seem to be what they are doing though.
    EXACTLY!

He's hooked back up with John Baker, so maybe he'll pick up the tab for the sampling.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Well Coz BE is an old skool cat..
    Isn't Coz an old skool cat too? Just playin'

You would make a PM Dawn album using a couple of musicians..a very indie record that highlights BE's songwriting ability, different styles. No Sampling, No covers!
    That'd be Dearest Christian...

You would put it out on Karmis and release it on
    iTunes so everyone around the world would have access to it, very easily.
    Excellent idea.

So producing the record would cost very little, and through word of mouth and performing you could make some money back. That doesn't seem to be what they are doing though.
    I'm sure that Be is trying to produce a record that costs very little to produce, given his financial position. And given his past experiences, would Be be crazy enough to keep producing songs he can't make any money off? I'm sure Be knows what he's doing. As far as sampling's concerned, he's learned the hard way at the school of hard f*ckin' knocks!

His songs are what a number of people know him for, but a large cross section of people would know him more as a pioneer of the sample.
    I totally disagree. Most people have no idea.

Music for Carnivores used a sample. I'm not being a smartass there, just pointing out that on an album that appears entirely devoid of samples, he still chucked one in.
    I wouldn't know, was just going by what I was told. Or at least thought I was.

I agree with you about adaption. Any act who keeps peddling the same shit year in, year out, will slowly fade into oblivion. As I said before, you've got very little opportunity these days to capture an imagination or a heart. What is the cost of sampling these days, btw? Any examples for me?
    It varies greatly and totally depends on the rights owner. I believe that EMI charges a minimum of $5000.00 every time somebody samples my work. I would guess that Simply Red track would fetch at least $20,000.00. Why do you think that nobody has sampled it yet?

That's IF they give permission at all by the way...
    Alright
    Yeah...

I'm sure that Be is trying to produce a record that costs very little to produce, given his financial position. And given his past experiences, would Be be crazy enough to keep producing songs he can't make any money off? I'm sure Be knows what he's doing. As far as sampling's concerned, he's learned the hard way at the school of hard f*ckin' knocks!
    He don't know Be too well, do he...
    Alright
    Yeah...

So why is it that everytime I hear an interview with Be, the interviewer always asks him about his sampling, and says "you are well known as a pioneer of sampled music"?

To people in the industry, he is well known as a sampler (DJ's, musos, etc.)
    To others, he's known as a dude who turns old stuff into new stuff and does a damn fine job of it, too. Anyone that I mention PM Dawn too (and then have to explain about Set Adrift), most say "Oh, yeah - he's that guy who sampled Spandaeu Ballet and Goerge Michael".

He don't know Be too well, do he...
    Obviously in the past he hasn't been very careful as far as that stuff is concerned... I just hope he doesn't dig himself further into shit. I would hope that he's learned from the lessons.

Coz - are you/have you been involved with much sampling?

I believe that EMI charges a minimum of $5000.00 every time somebody samples my work.
    And how much of that do you see? I'm willing to bet not much...

So why is it that everytime I hear an interview with Be, the interviewer always asks him about his sampling, and says "you are well known as a pioneer of sampled music"?

To people in the industry, he is well known as a sampler (DJ's, musos, etc.)
    To others, he's known as a dude who turns old stuff into new stuff and does a damn fine job of it, too. Anyone that I mention PM Dawn too (and then have to explain about Set Adrift), most say "Oh, yeah - he's that guy who sampled Spandaeu Ballet and Goerge Michael".

Because interviewers know their shit. The public does not.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Obviously in the past he hasn't been very careful as far as that stuff is concerned... I just hope he doesn't dig himself further into shit. I would hope that he's learned from the lessons.

I just got off the phone with Greg, after he sent me a track that makes this one sound like doodoo. Only problem is, it has a well known sample in it. I asked him if it was cleared, and he said yes. Turns out, the sample was cleared and used in a Backstreet Boys track that Be produced years ago. Be was under the (WILDLY mistaken) impression that since he cleared it once, he can use it again.

Can you hear me now?
    Alright
    Yeah...

Sigh...
    Alright
    Yeah...

And how much of that do you see? I'm willing to bet not much...
    Half.
    Alright
    Yeah...

I just got off the phone with Greg, after he sent me a track that makes this one sound like doodoo. Only problem is, it has a well known sample in it. I asked him if it was cleared, and he said yes. Turns out, the sample was cleared and used in a Backstreet Boys track that Be produced years ago. Be was under the (WILDLY mistaken) impression that since he cleared it once, he can use it again.

Can you hear me now?
    Right...

So Be really needs to is ask someone if what he's gonna do is kosher. Hope he starts doin' it.

Don't mean to argue and labor the points, just trying to get to the bottom of why Be isn't more careful.

Half.
    That's mighty generous of them!

BTW - What would happen if someone wanted to sample a track that itself contains a sample? Would they have to clear both? I'm just trying to wrap my head around the whole issue.

I completely agree. The only reason I know that PM Dawn samples at all is because I'm on this forum. I don't have the ear to know if sampling has occurred.

Can you hear me now?
    I don't mean to be a bitch here (except that I am) but I'm already an album behind everyone else never having heard (or been given) F*cked Music. I will be pissed to all holy hell if this is yet another instance of an album I will never hear.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Right...

So Be really needs to is ask someone if what he's gonna do is kosher. Hope he starts doin' it.
    I hope so too.
    Don't mean to argue and labor the points, just trying to get to the bottom of why Be isn't more careful.
    Be is an artist, not a businessman. He's never wrapped his head around the necessity of being both.
    Alright
    Yeah...

+ Reply to Thread