+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: For My Coaster-lovin' Peeps

For My Coaster-lovin' Peeps

Went to a very steamy Cedar Point and rode the Maverick for the first and only time yesterday. Personally, I wasn't real thrilled by it. If you like dives and twists then you'll probably like it much better than I did. The first drop (which is 95 degrees) and the launch from the tunnel were cool, but I didn't dig the restraint system on it. If any of you have ridden Storm Runner at Hersheypark, this was similar to that, maybe a shade better with the effects that I mentioned here. You guys will probably dig it.

Louis

Oh and on a side note, the loop has been removed from Son of Beast and I think they are talking about new trains for it. Interesting, very interesting.
    I love the summer months!

Is X-Flight moved to Cedar Point from Geauga Lake yet?
    I'm not signing this without my lawyer.

I heard they removed the loop from Son of Beast due to the fatal "problem" they had last year.

Really, though, how was the 95 degree drop on Maverick? Was it "OMG...I just peed my pants" good?
    "...Because all you of Earth are idiots!" - Eros, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

Damn glad I rode Son of Beast before they took out the loop, then.

I love Cedar Point and get there two or three times a summer (being only 2 hours away helps immensely! ). Looking forward to trying out the new ride.

Brian:

I believe X-Flight is now at Kings Island and is now called Firehawk. I don't care what name you give it--it still sux. Don't expect too much expansion for Geagua Lake--Cedar Fair doesn't want two competing parks that close, especially one that going to challenge their crown jewel, CP. Hopefully, GL becomes a mega-waterpark in the near future.

Bonkman:

Son of Beast has been a freakin' disaster ever since it was first constructed. It is/was a very bad design. The loop was the best part and now it's gone. The most painful ride I've ever had on a coaster EVER was on S.O.B. (yes it has the right abbreviation).

The 95 degree drop on Maverick was cool. When you go over the first hill you actually break inward beneath the crest of the hill. The restraint ruins the ride though for me.

Kosh:

Yes, CP is my favorite overall park. I can't imagine liking any park as much as CP. In the 30 parks I've visited it ranks number one.

My Top 10 Parks

1. Cedar Point -- Too many big coasters, too many great rides, clean, handles capacity well, food so-so
    2. Holiday World -- 3 world class woodies, great food, free drinks, extremely clean, nice free waterpark, wish it were closer to me
    3. Kennywood -- Hometown favorite, great food, 3 classic woodies, one great steel coaster, lots of charm
    4. Hersheypark -- Great coaster collection (Best in Pa.), decent food, cool water coaster
    5. Kings Island -- Nice collection of coasters, home of the Beast (awesome), crappy food
    6. Six Flags Great America -- Nice & clean, decent food for 6 Flags, great coaster collection there. A complete step up from most 6 Flags parks
    7. Six Flags Great Adventure -- Great collection of coasters (when they're running), Nitro is sweet, lots of tacky graffiti
    8. Knoebels -- Small park, Best food of any park, free parking & free entry, 2 good woodies, lots of charm. You'll never find it unless you're looking for it.
    9. Indiana Beach -- small park, 2 great woodies, decent food reasonably priced, a park on a lake, a very pleasant surprise.
    10. Kings Dominion -- Decent coaster collection, okay food, not as good but close to Kings Island.
    Last edited by Louis85; 06-04-2007 at 12:02 PM.

Boy I guess I snubbed a lot of the other parks I've been to with this list. I left out at least 6 or 7 that are great too.

Disney World -- Particularly MGM Studios and Magic Kingdom -- Great as long as you don't run out of money, love Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster
    Dorney Park - Good collection of coasters, excellent free water park, so-so food
    Busch Gardens Europe (a.k.a. Williamsburg) - Clean, great food, great coaster collection
    Paramount Canada's Wonderland -- decent coaster collection, decent food, a bit expensive for entry, as good as Kings Dom
    Geauga Lake -- good value, nice coasters (what's left of them), cool water park, better food, now that it's no longer a 6 Flags park
    Six Flags Magic Mountain -- decent rides (when they're running), food okay, just okay for me
    Six Flags America -- cool rides, love the Joker's Jinx (which is an outdoor Flight of Fear), Superman is cool, food okay

Barney Freakin' Rubble

We pulled the plug on our Coaster trip - gas is too much... FL to Ceder Point...
    Peace

I agree that SOB was the most painful ride ever. I always skip it when I go to King's Island.

Where do you guys usually stay (or do you?) when you go to Cedar Point? I'm planning on going in about three weeks with 2-day passes, so I need to find a cheapish place to stay for 3-4 nights. Oh, and is it farily easy to find? I didn't drive last time I went, so I was considering getting a cheap GPS because I plan on taking more trips this summer anyway.

And Louis, I haven't been to Holiday World since I was 6, although it's only about an hour and a half away from me. If it's your #2, then maybe I should take a trip there next weekend and THEN go to Cedar Point in a few weeks.

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

I'm sorry, I'm looking at your recently played tracks and noticing the show Scrubs. I love Scrubs.
    So patience... is nothing...

Fly on the wall since2003

I love Scrubs too. Got the first three seasons on DVD, getting the 4th for my birthday in a couple weeks.
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

Quote Originally Posted by Terrick View Post
    I agree that SOB was the most painful ride ever. I always skip it when I go to King's Island.

Where do you guys usually stay (or do you?) when you go to Cedar Point? I'm planning on going in about three weeks with 2-day passes, so I need to find a cheapish place to stay for 3-4 nights. Oh, and is it farily easy to find? I didn't drive last time I went, so I was considering getting a cheap GPS because I plan on taking more trips this summer anyway.

And Louis, I haven't been to Holiday World since I was 6, although it's only about an hour and a half away from me. If it's your #2, then maybe I should take a trip there next weekend and THEN go to Cedar Point in a few weeks.

Sorry it took me so long to answer, Terrick. I've been out of town at my company's conference.

To answer your questions: There are PLENTY of places to stay in Sandusky (the city where cedar point is). The MOST convenient would be Hotel Breakers (which is directly behind the park). I think the cost is pricy. There is a Breakers Express, which is about half-way down the causeway to CP (Cedar Point is built on the end of a pennisula.) That might be reasonable but occupied. There are many other hotels from the Ohio turnpike to the park itself, Red Roof Inn, Best Western, etc. etc. Obviously, the further you go out, the cheaper some of them get.

Cedar Point is not that tough to find. I think once you get on the Ohio turnpike, you won't have any problem finding the exit, which is #118, Route 250. From there it's a straight shot to the park. U.S. Route 2 goes there, but I don't know much about getting there from the west part.

Holiday World and Cedar Point are two different experiences. HW is a small park gem. It has charm, cleanliness, a cool water park, and 3 GREAT woodies (all ranked in the top 20 in the nation). Plus, it has good food and free drinks.

CP is a mega park. It is bigger than any park you have ever been to as far as rides are concern. There are more coasters than any other park (17), and more coasters above 200 ft (4 of them) than in any other park. Wear comfortable shoes when you go--lots of walking there. If you have them send you a fun guide, I think there are coupons for 7 or 8 dollars off. The guide you can order for free from 1-800-BEST-FUN. They will send it to your house. Plus it may have coupons for stays at some hotels and food coupons for the park.

I highly recommend both parks but for different reason. Good luck bro, you'll enjoy it.
    Last edited by Louis85; 06-14-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis85 View Post
    Boy I guess I snubbed a lot of the other parks I've been to with this list. I left out at least 6 or 7 that are great too.

Disney World -- Particularly MGM Studios and Magic Kingdom -- Great as long as you don't run out of money, love Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster
    Dorney Park - Good collection of coasters, excellent free water park, so-so food
    Busch Gardens Europe (a.k.a. Williamsburg) - Clean, great food, great coaster collection
    Paramount Canada's Wonderland -- decent coaster collection, decent food, a bit expensive for entry, as good as Kings Dom
    Geauga Lake -- good value, nice coasters (what's left of them), cool water park, better food, now that it's no longer a 6 Flags park
    Six Flags Magic Mountain -- decent rides (when they're running), food okay, just okay for me
    Six Flags America -- cool rides, love the Joker's Jinx (which is an outdoor Flight of Fear), Superman is cool, food okay
    I'm going to Disney World this coming Wednesday....Do you find Space Mountain to be 'worthy'? I like coasters well enough, but Pirates of the Caribbean is my fave.

I went on the Sheikra and some of the other coasters at Busch Gardens last year, and the Sheikra was nothing but pain and moments of not being able to breathe. I don't plan on returning to Busch Gardens.
    There were some drunk bastids, getting drunker by the minute, in line for the Sheikra that night. I wonder if they let them on the ride?????

I'll chime in.

I found Space Mountain at WDW to be worthy for an indoor, in-the-dark coaster ride. A couple of rides is all you need, though. Usually the lines are too long for repeat rides.

Pirates rocks! One of my all-time favorite Disney rides. But, you really need to ride the original at Disneyland. Longer drops and more atmosphere. So much better than the WDW version. (Just like Fantasmic! at Disneyland FAR outclasses the WDW/Disney MGM Studios version.)
    "...Because all you of Earth are idiots!" - Eros, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkman View Post
    I'll chime in.

I found Space Mountain at WDW to be worthy for an indoor, in-the-dark coaster ride. A couple of rides is all you need, though. Usually the lines are too long for repeat rides.

Pirates rocks! One of my all-time favorite Disney rides. But, you really need to ride the original at Disneyland. Longer drops and more atmosphere. So much better than the WDW version. (Just like Fantasmic! at Disneyland FAR outclasses the WDW/Disney MGM Studios version.)
    You are the only person I've come across who loves Pirates!
    I've been to Disney World like 30 times. I was just curious about his opinion of Space Mountain, since he's a coaster fiend.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04 View Post
    I'm going to Disney World this coming Wednesday....Do you find Space Mountain to be 'worthy'? I like coasters well enough, but Pirates of the Caribbean is my fave.

I went on the Sheikra and some of the other coasters at Busch Gardens last year, and the Sheikra was nothing but pain and moments of not being able to breathe. I don't plan on returning to Busch Gardens.
    There were some drunk bastids, getting drunker by the minute, in line for the Sheikra that night. I wonder if they let them on the ride?????
    Yes Wendy, Space Mountain is VERY worthy if for no other reason than its uniqueness and for how long its been around. I JUST rode it two years ago and I was pleasantly surprised--it was not at all what I expected. As far as steel coasters go, it's pretty subdued in terms of the actual ride, but the dark theming makes it enjoyable. On a side note, something about that long corridor queue line that made me nauseous. I got claustraphobia or something.

I haven't been to BG Africa yet, but I plan to return to BG Europe this summer hopefully. Sheikra is the same as the Griffin at BGE. Those coasters are a newer prototype (the most famous and first one being Oblivion at a park in England) I am anxious to ride one of them.
    Last edited by Louis85; 06-15-2007 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.Dulteror View Post
    I love Scrubs too. Got the first three seasons on DVD, getting the 4th for my birthday in a couple weeks.
    ooh I'm jealous. So far I got nada.

Fly on the wall since2003

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethX View Post
    ooh I'm jealous. So far I got nada.
    My only prob. is the episodes are too short!
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04 View Post
    You are the only person I've come across who loves Pirates!
    I've been to Disney World like 30 times. I was just curious about his opinion of Space Mountain, since he's a coaster fiend.
    I LOVE Pirates, too! Let us know if you ever go to WDW on the weekend, I might see you there (our family goes every now and then).

I have always liked Space Mountain because of the dark - especially when they make it *really* dark. Over the years it has gone through changes in lighting and ceiling projections (as well as queue and exit themes). In the past few years, they re-did some things to make it really dark again (like I remember it as a kid). For a while, it was bright enough that you could see the tracks in front of you as well as the other tracks near you... not as fun then.

Has anyone ridden Mt Everest at WDW's Animal Kingdom? I liked that one because it goes backwards and switches tracks!
    Peace

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Yes Wendy, Space Mountain is VERY worthy if for no other reason than its uniqueness and for how long its been around. I JUST rode it two years ago and I was pleasantly surprised--it was not at all what I expected. As far as steel coasters go, it's pretty subdued in terms of the actual ride, but the dark theming makes it enjoyable. On a side note, something about that long corridor queue line that made me nauseous. I got claustraphobia or something.
    Maybe you looked too long at the bubble glass cases with the outer space things inside. They can play a number on your eyes...

I haven't been to BG Africa yet, but I plan to return to BG Europe this summer hopefully. Sheikra is the same as the Griffin at BGE. Those coasters are a newer prototype (the most famous and first one being Oblivion at a park in England) I am anxious to ride one of them.
    I don't know if you heard or not, but they just changed Sheikra. They cut off the floor! And I heard they were going to remove the front rail. Now the front row will get an even scarier feeling while hanging 90 degrees at 200 feet up in the air facing down - nothing but track and a hole in front of them!!!! I would love to ride it again soon - last time I rode it was when it first opened.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan View Post
    I LOVE Pirates, too! Let us know if you ever go to WDW on the weekend, I might see you there (our family goes every now and then).

I have always liked Space Mountain because of the dark - especially when they make it *really* dark. Over the years it has gone through changes in lighting and ceiling projections (as well as queue and exit themes). In the past few years, they re-did some things to make it really dark again (like I remember it as a kid). For a while, it was bright enough that you could see the tracks in front of you as well as the other tracks near you... not as fun then.

Has anyone ridden Mt Everest at WDW's Animal Kingdom? I liked that one because it goes backwards and switches tracks!
    I've been on Space Mountain once, and part of what got me through it was that it was so dark. Coasters can really scare me (it's the steep drops... I get panic attacks). If it's not dark, I'll have to close my eyes.

Thank you, Space Mountain, for saving me the trouble!

+ Reply to Thread