+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Imus?

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D View Post

Imus fans and Stern fans have NEVER been the same. They were on the same station here in NY for YEARS!
    How is that important? Who they worked for and what time slots they occupied on their home station are irrelevant; the two shows made the bulk of their money through syndication, which brought them in direct competition with each other. And Stern won.

The shows are completely different and so are their fans. Stern fans tend to be younger and less educated, Imus' are older and more politically minded.
    That's like comparing Milwaukee's Best to Pabst Blue Ribbon, and then asserting that PBR is for the more discriminating palate. Sure, PBR may taste a little better, but at the end of the day, they both suck.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak View Post
    How is that important? Who they worked for and what time slots they occupied on their home station are irrelevant; the two shows made the bulk of their money through syndication, which brought them in direct competition with each other. And Stern won.
    No, you're wrong. When they were on the same station niether were in syndication. Their shows were completely different and so were their fans. When Stern left and went to FM is when he blew-up. He went to syndication long before Imus did. Imus NEVER came close to competing with Stern and their fans NEVER crossed over.

I DO live here you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak View Post
    That's like comparing Milwaukee's Best to Pabst Blue Ribbon, and then asserting that PBR is for the more discriminating palate. Sure, PBR may taste a little better, but at the end of the day, they both suck.
    To YOU perhaps. I am an Imus fan.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D View Post
    What you equate it to has nothing to do with what it means. Perhaps you should educate yourself.
    To clear it up:

You can have messy straight hair. You can have messy nappy hair. You can't have nappy straight hair. Nappy is the opposite of straight. Kinky is a synonym for nappy. So you can use nappy and kinky interchangeably.

*And that concludes yet another chapter of "Ghetto terms defined for the layman" *
    Last edited by Louis85; 04-17-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    I love the summer months!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis85 View Post
    Kinky is a synonym for nappy. So you can use nappy and kinky interchangeably.
    So, Imus was actually calling the Rutgers girls dominatrices. A dominatrix is a kinky ho.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

Quote Originally Posted by Louis85 View Post
    Nappy is the opposite of straight. Kinky is a synonym for nappy. So you can use nappy and kinky interchangeably.
    Trudat! The only slight difference is that "kinky" is usually considered a positive or at worst neutral description. "Nappy" is always a negative. If you described a woman with a natural as having kinky hair she would likely take it as a complement. If you said that she had nappy hair she'd likely cuss you.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Imus' ‘nappy’ remark has long, hurtful history
    ‘The other N-word’ reflects pain that reaches back to slavery days
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 10:03 a.m. ET April 13, 2007
    NEW YORK - Call it “the other N-word.”

Since slavery times, “nappy” has been used to malign the natural hair texture of many people of African descent: dense, dark and tightly curled. So when Don Imus referred to the women of the Rutgers basketball team as “nappy-headed hos” — a widely condemned remark that got him fired Thursday — it cut deeper than many who are unfamiliar with the term might realize.

Even today, with natural black hair in full bloom throughout pop culture, “nappy hair” remains a sensitive issue — especially, as with the original N-word used so casually by many blacks, when a white person uses it.

“When Imus says ’these nappy-headed hos,’ his first flaw is he’s using an in-group term that’s loaded,” said Lanita Jacobs-Huey, associate professor of anthropology and American studies and ethnicity at the University of Southern California.

“When I hear it from someone who doesn’t understand the depth of pain, they just don’t have the right to say it,” Jacobs-Huey said.

The pain goes back to slavery. Whites saw blacks’ natural hair as a negative attribute, a contrast to the European standard of “ideal” beauty. As a result, even blacks started to look down on their own natural features.

“If your hair wasn’t straight, it was called nappy. Nappy hair meant you weren’t beautiful or desirable,” said Nsenga Burton, professor of communications and media studies at Goucher College in Baltimore. “Even within the community, nappy hair for a long time was seen as a bad thing.”

‘The ideal of beauty didn't fit them’
    There are accounts of African slaves attempting to change their hair using axle grease or dirty dishwater with oil, said Neal Lester, chairman of the English department at Arizona State University. “Slaves knew the ideal of beauty didn’t fit them,” he said.

More sophisticated methods of altering hair emerged later. Madame C.J. Walker, the first black woman to become a millionaire, made her fortune in the early 20th century on hair-straightening products.

Carla Lynne Hall used similar products until she decided to let her hair grow naturally. And then she met resistance from her own family — especially her hairdresser aunt.

“She hated it,” said Hall, a 39-year-old singer from Harlem. “For women from my aunt’s generation, that’s the worst thing you could do.”

Even a month before her aunt died, when Hall had worn her hair in long dreadlocks for more than a decade, she told Hall that “with a hairstyle like this I would never get a man.”

But attitudes toward hair have changed, especially with the advent of the Civil Rights and Black Power movements, when the afro became popular. Today other styles like braids, locks and everything in between have become accepted as alternatives to chemical straightening, which is still popular as well.

The irony of Imus’ comment is that many of the Rutgers players have straightened hair — and at their news conference Wednesday, it seemed nary a straightened hair was out of place.

“None of them fit the cultural description of what nappy is,” Jacobs-Huey said. “Don is telling us something about himself.”

Making matters worse was Imus’ use of the word “hos,” a hip-hop slang synonym of “whore” or “slut” heard in many rap songs. “That is one of the lowest things you can call a woman,” Burton said.

Women’s groups have condemned Imus for his remarks, although most of the outrage has come from the black community, which was first to speak out.

In the final analysis, the phrase that torpedoed Imus’ legendary radio career was a perfect storm of volatile words with deep and hurtful meanings.

“It’s both racist and misogynist,” said Hall. “It has nothing to do with (the players’) accomplishments, with who they are.”
    Alright
    Yeah...

Random stuff

Taken from Wikipedia:

Some, including The Kansas City Star journalist Jason Whitlock (African-American), have criticized Sharpton for using the situation "to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda" when he should instead be focusing on other issues like the effects of hip-hop culture such as gangsta rap. Whitlock further accused Sharpton and Jesse Jackson of "exploiting [the Rutger's women's basketball team], making [...] the problems much bigger than what they should be."

“White folks was in caves while we was building empires ... We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.” - Al Sharpton

Media reports have suggested tension between Sharpton and Barack Obama. According to the New York Post's political reporter Frederick U. Dicker, Sharpton has launched a "big-time" effort to tear down Illinois Sen. Barack Obama as a candidate for president. The Post quotes an unnamed prominent black Democratic activist who knows Sharpton as saying, "[Sharpton is] saying that Obama never did anything for the community, never worked with anybody from the community, that nobody knows the people around him, that he's a candidate driven by white leadership.",

According to CNN, Sharpton has denied being jealous of Obama, saying that "I want to talk about a civil rights agenda as a priority, and the answer to that is not, 'Oh if you want to talk about issues you must be jealous'." Sharpton has suggested an Obama operative planted the story.[27]

Taken from PM Dawn forum:

"Unfortunately, the "Jewing the numbers down" comment is one that is used by many people. And I'm not saying that makes it right, but it's just like the ho thing, if enough people use it freely, it become "acceptable". And for the record about Jesse, the "Hymmie town" remark was made "off the record" to a reporter, I believe, but he reported it anyway. That doesn't make it right, but at least he didn't have to arrogance to say it in a public setting like Imus." - Louis85

Jason Whitlock (+)
    Al Sharpton (-)
    Imus (+)
    Barack Obama (+)
    Louis85 (-)
    Last edited by TrEEtheRealest; 04-17-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrEEtheRealest View Post
    Jason Whitlock (+)
    Al Sharpton (-)
    Imus (+)
    Barack Obama (+)
    Louis85 (-)
    Why does Imus get a (+) and why does Louis get a (-)?
    Alright
    Yeah...

I don't care too much for Imus, but I've only listened to him for a total of 10 minutes so.....

Well, the first thing that came to my mind when I'd heard about his comment was, "He's been listening to a lot of rap."
    The second thing that came to my mind was, "Why is he calling them hoes?"

Barney Freakin' Rubble

I didn't get the +'s and -'s either...
    Peace

Great post by a could be VP

http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/7139896.html
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Oh, I'm supposed to care about that Tree? Your rating system (as well as your point of view) is meaningless to me. Respect.

Tree(null)
    Last edited by Louis85; 05-03-2007 at 12:20 PM.
    I love the summer months!

Looks lime Imus has the last laugh. He has in his contract to act "irreverent" and "controversial" among other things.
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

He was due a warning before they could fire him as well.
    Alright
    Yeah...

THE IMPOSTOR OF THE DAWN Doo-DooHead's Avatar

I Don't Think Anybody Wants To Here What I Gotta Say About This, So I'll Just Keep My Opinion To Myself For Once!!!!
    I STOLE THE PM DAWN NAME FROM PRINCE BE'S WIFE AND KIDS,
    WHILE PRINCE BE WAS FIGHTING FOR HIS LIFE IN THE HOSPITAL ON LIFE SUPPORT!!!!!!
    I'M DOO-DOO HEAD!!!!!!!!!

Intelligent Posts :11

go ahead.....chicken

Yeah, I'm interested, Doc.
    So patience... is nothing...

THE IMPOSTOR OF THE DAWN Doo-DooHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethX View Post
    Yeah, I'm interested, Doc.

U ASKED FOR IT BETH!!!
    1ST OF ALL THOSE CHICKS ARE FUCKING UGLY!!! THEY ONLY PITCHED A BITCH BECAUSE THE TRUTH HURT!!!

I DON'T LIKE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF THEM ARE LESBIANS, AND THEY CORRUPT THE MINDS OF YOUNG WOMEN WHO WANNA GIVE SEX WITH A MAN A CHANCE!!!
    FUCK THEM FOR MAKING IMUS A SCAPEGOAT!!!
    THOSE BITCHES KNEW THEY WERE BUSTED B4 THE GAME, AND JUST BECAUSE IMUS DISSED THEM DOESN'T MEAN HE'S A FUCKING RACIST!!!
    WHAT IF I SAID BLACK DJ'S WERE DISSING THEM, BUT DIDN'T GET THE SAME SLACK? NOBODY WOULD CARE THEY WOULD JUST LAUGH!!!
    I LOVE IMUS AND STERN, AND MANCOW AND STAR. HE SIMPLY MADE AN OBSERVATION!!! I LOVE BLACK WOMEN , BUT I HATE THOSE FUCKED UP WEAVES AND EXTENTIONS THEY WEAR!!! I LOOK GOOD WHEN I PLAY BALL!!! I LOOK PRETTY DAMN SEXY!!! THEY SHOULD FOLLOW MY LEAD!!! FUCK SHERYL SWOOPES, SUE WICKS, THERESA WITHERSPOON, CYNTHIA COOPER, AND ALL NASTY LESBIANS IN THE WNBA!!!
    IF THEY ARE SO PROUD OF WHAT THEY ARE WHY THE FUCK DO THEY HIDE IT?
    THAT IS WHY I CAN NEVER FEEL GUILTY ABOUT MY FEELINGS BECAUSE I DON'T HIDE MYSELF. THESE ATHLETES ARE HEROES TO YOUR DAUGHTERS!!!
    THEY WILL ENCOURAGE YOUR BABY GIRLS TO LICK SNATCHES INSTEAD OF SAUSAGES!!! STOP BEING POLITITICLY CORRECT AND TAKE BACK CONTROL OF HOW YOUR CHILD IS RAISED!!!
    BY THE WAY ELIZABETH YOU LOOK REALLY FUCKIN SEXY IN THAT PRINCESS DEVIL OUTFIT OF YOURS. I'M NOT BEING RUDE I'M JUST KEEPIN IT FUCKIN REAL!!!

I STOLE THE PM DAWN NAME FROM PRINCE BE'S WIFE AND KIDS,
    WHILE PRINCE BE WAS FIGHTING FOR HIS LIFE IN THE HOSPITAL ON LIFE SUPPORT!!!!!!
    I'M DOO-DOO HEAD!!!!!!!!!

I agree....

Elizabeth, that is a sensational picture. You look hot.
    I look like a floating head.

+ Reply to Thread