+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Imus?

Imus?

Ok, now I've waited all week...ain't no one gunna say nothin about the Don Imus scandal?
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M View Post
    Ok, now I've waited all week...ain't no one gunna say nothin about the Don Imus scandal?
    What scandal? Is there anyone in America who didn't already know that Imus is a jerk?
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

I dont like Imus. (he supported Harold Ford jr. that family are crooks) but I have a different view of this all together.
    I watched the game. hell i watched it 2 times that night. I love my Lady VOLS!
    I'm also a sports talk show junkie. Imus's commercials come on offsetting the ones for our local morning sports show. I wanted to hear what everyone was saying about the game.

MY reaction when i heard the comment.
    I pictured 47sec left in the game Rutgers #5 Carsen i think is her name. Was at the free throw line her hair was messed up all over the place. She played her ass off, had to run with Bobbit and guard Hornbuckle. Thats what jumped into my head i got a chuckle and moved on. I didn't think nothing racist about it. Could be Im a big cure fan so i hear nappy all the time and well hoe is used everywhere its common slang. Or could be i really dont think things in racist terms. Could be how i was raised, how i think hell iduno.

I didn't think nothing racist of it it sent a picture of a precise moment in my head. I can see how it could be
    Should he have said it? nope. Should something have been done? sure. Fired? If its over that nope. If its over lack of endorsements i can see that. Being Sharpton claims to be a REV. and he said he wouldn't forgive him is another story and another beef i have with him and Jackson.

So i guess the question is was it meant as a racial statement?
    Did it take someone looking for a racial statement to make it one?

Is this a bigger picture? $$$$ JAckson and Sharpton took a sharp stance over some kids at Duke. Knowing they where going to be claimed innocent did they have to divert the attention to not offering forgiveness to these guys and showing they where wrong. Sharpton's rating arent that good on his radio show they jumped up 100 fold when Imus was on there. Now if Sharpton gets Imus's spot wont that be something.

And when Imus said "you people" hell i knew what he was talking about.
    FOr the record if i say you people here im refering to this direct group. not a indirect statement about color of skin. If i say hymmie town ill be quoting Sharpton.

Any way This is diverting from my LAdy VOLS 7th National title. Next year 8th!!!!!!!!!

Candace Parker is hot btw.
    Last edited by eternals layre; 04-15-2007 at 03:24 AM.
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

http://pmdawn.net/capture.JPG
    She has 3 shots at the line show they showed her upclose for quite some time. So it looked worse when showing from the "foul shot" pic, kinda up under her face

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak View Post
    What scandal? Is there anyone in America who didn't already know that Imus is a jerk?
    True nuff. I find it interesting, though, that it's the racial aspect of the statement rather than the calling the women "Ho's" that's the problem.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M View Post
    True nuff. I find it interesting, though, that it's the racial aspect of the statement rather than the calling the women "Ho's" that's the problem.
    Frankly, that would have me baffled, if it weren't obvious to me that Jackson and Sharpton are just using this as an opportunity to get more TV face-time.
    Talk about whores...
    How is that possible?

Frankly, that would have me baffled, if it weren't obvious to me that Jackson and Sharpton are just using this as an opportunity to get more TV face-time.
    Talk about whores...
    Can I get an "Amen"?!

It's funny, because it's true...

...but it's also sad, because it's true.

Imus is definitely a jerk. I've heard of enough of him to know I wouldn't waste 5 more minutes of my life listening to his spew.

As for what he said, that is the danger of the free use of these terms (nigga, hos, etc.) as mainstream culture. Everyone thinks it's okay for anyone to use them.
    I love the summer months!

I got into a big ugly thing about this with my father, where I ended up screaming at him like I've never screamed at anyone in my life. It was horrible. He tries just bringing up controversial stuff with me knowing we'll disagree, he talks and talks and my head spins waiting to contradict every stupid thing he says, and when it's finally my turn to say what I think, he cuts me off, tells me that I just hate the white man and don't love my country. WTF.

He says if rappers can say bitches and hoes and talk about shooting the popo (like he's even heard a fucking rap song in the past 10 years, anyway), then offensive language is allowable across the board. He's got his head so far up his ass, he hasn't the slightest clue what he's talking about NOR can he begin to imagine anything from another man's perspective. Oh, and he told me the offensive thing you said Sharpton said was Jesse Jackson. I don't know who's right, but my reaction was "Jesse Jackson wouldn't say that". He goes "he most certainly did". What a motherfucker. He's a horrible man who needs to stop drinking and go back on his meds, and I am a stupid girl for ever giving him a second to talk to me AND for trying to respond. I was so foolish to think I could have a civilized debate with an irrational monster. I really believe I hate him. Not just for this, though. For everything. I'm such an idiot! Some people don't ever deserve to be forgiven. Some people don't learn from mistakes, they just repeat them.

Sorry for venting! But um, yeah. Imus is an asshole. I think my father is probably a worse one, though.
    So patience... is nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethX View Post
    I got into a big ugly thing about this with my father, where I ended up screaming at him like I've never screamed at anyone in my life. It was horrible. He tries just bringing up controversial stuff with me knowing we'll disagree, he talks and talks and my head spins waiting to contradict every stupid thing he says, and when it's finally my turn to say what I think, he cuts me off, tells me that I just hate the white man and don't love my country. WTF.
    Sorry to hear about your screaming match. Try not to let him get to you like that. Remember that an argument is usually more a war of wills, than it is a war of words. You can't stop him from pushing your buttons, but you can control your reaction when he does. Try not to relinquish your self-control in front of him.

He says if rappers can say bitches and hoes and talk about shooting the popo (like he's even heard a fucking rap song in the past 10 years, anyway)
    Your dad said "popo"?

Oh, and he told me the offensive thing you said Sharpton said was Jesse Jackson. I don't know who's right, but my reaction was "Jesse Jackson wouldn't say that". He goes "he most certainly did". What a motherfucker.
    Sorry to break this to ya, Elizabeth, but your dad is right about that. "Hymietown" is, indeed, Jesse Jackson's line. He said it back in the early 80s, and he took a lot of heat over it. I wouldn't think you'd know about that, because you were just a baby when that went down.

He's a horrible man who needs to stop drinking and go back on his meds, and I am a stupid girl for ever giving him a second to talk to me AND for trying to respond. I was so foolish to think I could have a civilized debate with an irrational monster. I really believe I hate him. Not just for this, though. For everything. I'm such an idiot! Some people don't ever deserve to be forgiven. Some people don't learn from mistakes, they just repeat them.
    Sorry 'bout your dad. Don't feel bad about hating him right now, but don't make plans to hate him forever. Some people are so effed-up, that they have no idea of how to seek redemption, even if they want to. A friend of mine on this forum seems to have a similar dysfunctional relationship with their father. Seek that person out; maybe talking to them and comparing notes can make you feel better.
    How is that possible?

Thanks DJ. I came back here to erase the bulk of what I had written because I was afraid that being too personal was the quick route to getting judged, but you made me feel better.

I actually hit a wall "talking" to him (which was more like him yelling at and taunting me while I tried to be heard) and got a huge bruise on my hand. I've NEVER hit anything like that before, no matter how upset I was. I always roll my eyes at people who hit things, and I never related to that action.

I didn't realize the Jesse Jackson quote was from decades ago. I thought we were talking about current events. Silly me. This man is still talking about "popping a cap in the popo" (yes, his words)... of course he's using 20 year old quotes.

You guys... I'm so frustrated. My background and where I come from and what I was taught directly contradicts all of this bs. I don't plan to hate him forever, but I hope to lose that notion that someday we'll have a great relationship. The truth is, we shouldn't be around each other.

You see, it's not just the differing of perspective and beliefs, it's how we treat each other that matters most. Imus may suck, but my father is higher up on my shit list because the side he's shown me is far uglier than what I know of Imus.

If I had gotten to speak, my main point would have been that when you are in a position of media and you say something, you should expect to be heard. We should all speak only what we're okay with everyone hearing, if we can manage to help that... but particularly on the air in a position of broadcast. Firing this man doesn't violate his freedom of speech. He's still free to spout all the prejudiced garbage he wants. If any radio show or company thinks they can expect to make money off of him or is willing to sacrifice their own financial gain for the purity of his message, he can get his happy ass back on the airwaves. But, when you work for a company and you represent your employer and what you've said potentially alienates those who pay the bills, you can expect repercussions. That is in ANY line of work, and that's capitalist America. Which I supposedly hate. Well guess what? America worked in my favor this time, I'm not complaining. The voice of the people has spoken. And I love my country.

Oh... about racial insults vs. calling a woman a "ho"....

I think calling women you are not familiar with or have no good reason to judge "hoes" is a bad move.

But the word ho doesn't bother me. I've used it. There's a time and a place for it.

What Imus said was uncalled for... the hoes thing was just stupid-- talking about a bunch of young women you don't even know, but the part that bothers me more was the *other* thing. It takes a lot of nerve, and I don't know what makes people think they have the right to talk like that.

I notice that a lot of white people feel a real sense of repression on saying certain racially motivated things. It's like letting a kid into a control tower and telling them not to press the red button. That makes me sad, that white people seem to feel that they are somehow *missing out* by not being "allowed" to use certain language or make certain jokes. I don't know much about Imus to be honest... but it sounds like one of those things that just busts out of a white American mouth now and then, like some perverted compulsion. In that sense, he's more or less a child trying to see what he can get away with (and gaining a sense of power or liberation when he does). I hope this experience has humbled him.

Sharpton also uses the phrases " Jewing the numbers down" "diamond merchants"and many ref's to Jews.

Looking back i think it was more directed as a sexist remark then racist.
    Taking in account espn radio always downplaying womens bball, how its boring and they cant play. (Cowherd)
    I enjoy it they play harder then mens and dont have the attitude. I guess im use to the sexist insults i hear for watching it. I just love womens sports cause its still about sports.

What i would have like to have seen is his wife smack him.

Jacskon has a price nascar paid him off for years.

Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethX View Post
    If I had gotten to speak, my main point would have been that when you are in a position of media and you say something, you should expect to be heard. We should all speak only what we're okay with everyone hearing, if we can manage to help that... but particularly on the air in a position of broadcast.
    He expected to be heard, but only by his target demographic. The people who like Imus are the people who like hearing ign'ant crap like that. I don't really know why someone who hates Imus was even listening to the show.

Firing this man doesn't violate his freedom of speech. He's still free to spout all the prejudiced garbage he wants. If any radio show or company thinks they can expect to make money off of him or is willing to sacrifice their own financial gain for the purity of his message, he can get his happy ass back on the airwaves. But, when you work for a company and you represent your employer and what you've said potentially alienates those who pay the bills, you can expect repercussions. That is in ANY line of work, and that's capitalist America. Which I supposedly hate. Well guess what? America worked in my favor this time, I'm not complaining.
    I agree with you somewhat, but Imus has been on the air for decades, and as far as I know, he's always been an asshole. That's why he's famous, that's why some people love to listen to him, and that's why he made money for his employers. I think this whole thing is a way for CBS Media to save face. I don't know this stuff for a fact, but here's my speculations:
    His ratings have been slipping for years; Howard Stern stole much of his audience, and when Stern left radio to go to satellite, the former Imus fans did not go back to Imus. CBS Media wants to replace Imus, but he's got more time left in his contract than they are comfortable with. Solution? Wait for a slip-up, make a huge deal out of it, and use that as grounds for termination. Pretty clever, if you ask me...

The voice of the people has spoken.
    Do you really think that "the people" really gave a rat's bee-hind about this? I saw this as more of a media feeding frenzy on a week without major news stories to cover.
    Last year, I was very bothered by Michael Richards, because first of all, his words were dripping with rage and hatred, and secondly, because I didn't expect to hear such things coming from my ol' buddy Kramer. I don't even see Imus' comment as racist, bigoted or hateful; it was just ugly and un-called for, and I expect him to say ugly and un-called for things, so if it were up to me whether he stayed on the air, I'd let him stay. I mean, it's not like I listen to his monkey ass, anyway...
    I do think he owed those girls an apology, though, because we are talking about very young women, whose egos are not fully developed yet. These girls are in college, and are striving toward athletic excellence. It's way, way out of line to dismissively label these girls as whores.
    And I love my country.
    To quote Sinclair James' words of comfort, "Woo woo woo..."
    Of course you love your country. For the life of me, I can't figure out how an argument about a radio shock-jock's flapping gums motivated someone to challenge your patriotism. Try to forget about that crap, and think of happy thoughts, and paint happy trees.
    How is that possible?

I think this whole thing is a way for CBS Media to save face. I don't know this stuff for a fact, but here's my speculations:
    His ratings have been slipping for years; Howard Stern stole much of his audience, and when Stern left radio to go to satellite, the former Imus fans did not go back to Imus. CBS Media wants to replace Imus, but he's got more time left in his contract than they are comfortable with. Solution? Wait for a slip-up, make a huge deal out of it, and use that as grounds for termination. Pretty clever, if you ask me...

Quote Originally Posted by eternals layre View Post
    Sharpton also uses the phrases " Jewing the numbers down" "diamond merchants"and many ref's to Jews.

Looking back i think it was more directed as a sexist remark then racist.
    Taking in account espn radio always downplaying womens bball, how its boring and they cant play. (Cowherd)
    I enjoy it they play harder then mens and dont have the attitude. I guess im use to the sexist insults i hear for watching it. I just love womens sports cause its still about sports.

What i would have like to have seen is his wife smack him.

Jacskon has a price nascar paid him off for years.
    Unfortunately, the "Jewing the numbers down" comment is one that is used by many people. And I'm not saying that makes it right, but it's just like the ho thing, if enough people use it freely, it become "acceptable". And for the record about Jesse, the "Hymmie town" remark was made "off the record" to a reporter, I believe, but he reported it anyway. That doesn't make it right, but at least he didn't have to arrogance to say it in a public setting like Imus.

And as for girls' and women's basketball, I've been around both for my entire life, due largely to my uncle being a former coach. He coached my high school girls' team that was the best in the state my senior year. So I've seen it played at a very high level. I have an appreciation for athleticism of all types. I will never be a soccer fan, but I have an appreciation for it. Imus' remarks were demeaning to their players.
    I love the summer months!

I'm an Imus fan, have been one for 20 years. My kids grew up on Imus, back when we lived in Bed-Stuy and I drove them to school every morning. Imus makes fun of EVERYBODY, he's an equal opportunity insulter. Mancow is 10X worse than Imus has ever been.

What Imus said was seriously stupid, and extremely racial. I wouldn't go so far as to call it racist though. It was racial because the "nappy-headed" comment was meant to connote that the Rutgers team was more dark-skinned than the Tennessee team. They further expanded on that theme by saying it was like the Jigaboos and Wannabees, the classic dark-skinned / light-skinned rivalry from Spike Lee's movie School Daze. Of course, in Imus's eyes the light-skinned Tennessee team was "cute" while the Rutgers team was "rough". As for the Hoes comment, they did that because it was mostly young black women involved, commonly called "hoes" in the Rap world. They were trying to be funny by examining the 2 teams in what they perceived was an exaggeratedly black perspective. It didn't go over well. At all.

Personally, I thought that he should have been suspended and seriously fined. I am saddened that he was fired. I've spent many a morning cracking up at his show, though not nearly as much since he went political in the 90s. I will miss him and hope he claws his way back somehow. However, if the backlash that took him out now turns it's sites on the Rap Industry and we see some clean-up there, it will have all been worth it.

Oh, and Eternals, in that picture that you posted homegirl's hair is NOT nappy.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

I think this whole thing is a way for CBS Media to save face. I don't know this stuff for a fact, but here's my speculations:

Imus fans and Stern fans have NEVER been the same. They were on the same station here in NY for YEARS! The shows are completely different and so are their fans. Stern fans tend to be younger and less educated, Imus' are older and more politically minded.

Imus JUST signed a new contract. He's syndicated across the country. His home station WFAN here in NYC is going to take a SERIOUS hit without him.

Nope, theory don't fly.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Ill post more i equate nappy with messy as i think most people i know do.

Quote Originally Posted by eternals layre View Post
    Ill post more i equate nappy with messy as i think most people i know do.
    What you equate it to has nothing to do with what it means. Perhaps you should educate yourself.
    Alright
    Yeah...

+ Reply to Thread