+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nashville Scene

Fly on the wall since2003

Nashville Scene

Stumbled onto this via Google... dunno if anyone's seen it... Nashville Scene(June 8, 2006)

P.M. DAWN

Fifteen years after P.M. Dawn’s debut, Of the Heart, of the Soul and of the Cross: The Utopian Experience, the record sounds as essential to pop-music history as the first records by Public Enemy or De La Soul. Sampling The Doobie Brothers and Spandau Ballet to great effect and writing thoughtful lyrics that combined post-adolescent angst and sexual frustration in a kind of sighing plain-speak, Attrell and Jarrett Cordes used hip-hop to create a pop hybrid capacious enough for their most unbridled fantasies. Like that of another great brother act, The Beach Boys, P.M. Dawn’s music could seem crass, inspired, self-pitying and heroic all at once, and Of the Heart’s “If I Wuz U” and “Paper Doll” stand as some of the decade’s most seductive, pillowy pop. The follow-up, 1993’s The Bliss Album…?, was just as strong, with a stunning cover of “Norwegian Wood” that suggested the duo were on their way to concocting one of the great pop syntheses, with commercial clout to match. It didn’t happen, even if their take on “You Got Me Floatin’” did justice to Hendrix and their 1998 Dearest Christian, I’m So Sorry for Bringing You Here. Love, Dad added guitar parts and ever more cunning harmonies to the basic formula. After a lengthy hiatus, they’ve been readying a new set of songs for release sometime this year. Don’t miss this chance to see one of the era’s great pop groups, period—these guys transcend mere hyphenation. ( www.pmdawn.net ) Exit/In —EDD HURT
    Never burn your bridges while you're standing on them...

nice article!
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

+ Reply to Thread