+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holographic Versatile Discs

Holographic Versatile Discs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Specifically: "These discs have the capacity to hold up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of information"

That's cool and stuff, but why would you want a 3.9TB disc? Unless they create unscratchable surfaces too. And think of the time it would take to burn one at full capacity. I hope they're inventing super HVD writers too. I'm sure one disc would cost hundreds of dollars since a 1TB hard drive is currently around $500.

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

3.9tb disc.. of course we want them.. yes theres the scratch issue..

dont count on having a drive anytime soon.

HD/blu ray is BS .. wish they had held off, had a bigger capacity unified format that had enough space to fit a season of a tv show on a single disc in 1080p

stupid boxsets taking chunks of my personal space outta the house..
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

You may not want one now, but you will...
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

personally.. im more excited bout those solid state drives (think sandisk has the first one) 32gb.. once they get bigger and get used with standard HDD, then theres the HDD platters of foil thickness..
    +
    multiple cores..
    looking good.
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

I'm still mad that the audio DVD was never popularized. I would love to have a whole CD box set on one disc. CDs are nice, but in the car, they can be a pain.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

absolutely,if you collect any form of media, space is as much of an issue as quality
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak View Post
    I'm still mad that the audio DVD was never popularized. I would love to have a whole CD box set on one disc. CDs are nice, but in the car, they can be a pain.
    Totally agree with that! I was looking for a new deck for my car and I only saw 1 that plays DVDs - at $500! It's just a stinkin DVD player! Not much different than a CD player that plays mp3 and wma files - interpreted like a pc. Not much difference in cost for cd player vs. dvd player for your PC - should not be that different in a car deck...

BTW, 3.9TB would be great for large data archivals 9like at my work), but the time it would take to write it might make it impractical...
    Peace

+ Reply to Thread