+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Borat

Quote Originally Posted by Harmeister View Post
    you sure it's only your hat Wheel?
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D View Post
    I finally got to see this the other day. You realize that a good 95% or so of it was scripted, right? Very little of it was real. I found it hilarious by the way.
    My understanding is that Sacha Cohen's lines were scripted, and the scenes with him and his "producer", and the scenes with Pam Anderson. But the reactions of ordinary people were not. http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/...-subfeaturebar

Also, there have been 4 lawsuits concerning the movie, from people who felt they were duped because they were told they were making a "documentary" -- one from the residents of the Romanian villiage who sued for $30 million because they were mislead into believing they were part of a serious documentary about Romanian poverty; a pair of fraternity brothers from the bus sued because they were too drunk to consent; there is a lawsuit concerning how they obtained the permission of the "etiquette coach" in a misleading manner; and a South Carolina man sued over Cohen invading his privacy by filming him in the bathroom of a resterant (the footage was ordered to be cut from the film.)

I feel if it was "95% scripted," then all these people would have been "in" on it, and not be so upset afterwards.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M View Post
    My understanding is that Sacha Cohen's lines were scripted, and the scenes with him and his "producer", and the scenes with Pam Anderson. But the reactions of ordinary people were not. http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/...-subfeaturebar

Also, there have been 4 lawsuits concerning the movie, from people who felt they were duped because they were told they were making a "documentary" -- one from the residents of the Romanian villiage who sued for $30 million because they were mislead into believing they were part of a serious documentary about Romanian poverty; a pair of fraternity brothers from the bus sued because they were too drunk to consent; there is a lawsuit concerning how they obtained the permission of the "etiquette coach" in a misleading manner; and a South Carolina man sued over Cohen invading his privacy by filming him in the bathroom of a resterant (the footage was ordered to be cut from the film.)

I feel if it was "95% scripted," then all these people would have been "in" on it, and not be so upset afterwards.
    Watch the movie again and observe the camerawork. You can plainly see that most of the movie was shot with multiple camera angles and in multiple takes, including the frat boy scenes. Multiple cameras and takes means that those in those scenes ARE in on it.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

I just saw this tonight (and within the week, I saw Ali G Indahouse, which was also good but there were def some tasteless things... which I was able to overlook easily because of the other good things.).

I don't have sympathy for the people featured in Borat and it seemed pretty real (despite camera angles you pointed out, Coz... multiple cameras?). At the end credits, the cast list was tiny. At times, I asked myself if it was real because the seemingly real people were so extremely horrible. It's believable but WOW, did they really just willingly say that on camera, so easily?

I think Sacha Baron Cohen is a pretty smart and funny person who is using his daring sense of humor to shed light on some things and make some points that maybe otherwise certain people wouldn't be interested in hearing. Every person he was making fun of in the movie deserved it. Even the churchie lady-- SO wrong of a comment, but I just don't care. She knows she's not "sexy", and I know she wasn't going for sexy, so she shouldn't mind. If he HAD complimented her with regards to her being desirable, she probably would have been insulted at that as well. All the people pretty much made fun of themselves and were an embarrassment to themselves and our country (which sadly, they represent pretty accurately). He may be an instigator or reactor, but they apparently were comfortable being themselves.

And, if it really was fake.... he still hit the nail on the head.

DJ, I saw the wrestling scene! He is one committed guy...

His first child was just recently born.
    So patience... is nothing...

PS-- the feminists weren't an embarrassment, but they were being uptight.

PPS-- and the black kids weren't an embarrassment, but I didn't like when they were trying to tell Borat he couldn't talk like he did. It was just like the rodeo dude telling him he had to shave his mustache.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M View Post
    So....

Who's seen the movie? What does everyone think about it?
    It was funny, I thought, but the naked fight scene was a bit traumatizing. If I could trade the memory of that for maybe, say, a toe, I'd have to seriously think about it.
    If you had one leg being pulled by reality, and one leg being pulled by spirituality, where would that leave you, huh?

Come on, man. It was gross, but traumatizing? I thought it was pretty funny, I have to say. I could watch it again.

You guys are soft!

+ Reply to Thread