+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ryuichi Sakamoto

considering how forward-thinking and technologically savvy japan tends to be, the conspicuous lack of a sizable electronic music scene is a little baffling.. but nevertheless i really don't have much to offer in the way of recommendations. most of the japanese stuff i dig is older (like ymo) and fairly bizarre, though there's a few exceptions. i enjoy Yukihiro Takahashi's last few albums, most notably "The Dearest Fool" and "A Ray of Hope". his most recent one is more along the lines of the sketch show stuff, with perhaps a bit more of his pop sensibility. his mini-album with Steve Jansen (david sylvian's brother) is pretty solid, simply called "pulse". as far as older stuff, i love Ippu-Do's "Night Mirage", which is kind of similar to Sylvian's early 80s band's output (the band was actually called "Japan"), i.e., "Tin Drum". ippu-do's leader went on to do some interesting stuff, i like his "mod'fish" album and "forest people" is pretty good (though i actually prefer his 80s albums). Sugizo's "Truth?" album is worth checking out, though it's pretty dated sounding at this point (as is most of this stuff), but at the time it was a pretty inventive hybrid of electronica, drum & bass, jazz, and rock (he's a rock guitarist by trade). other names that come to mind are Yoshihiro Hanno (check out "liquid glass") aka multiphonic ensemble.. nobukazu takemura (who i dont personally care much for..), and Sakamoto's daughter Miu released a fairly decent electronic/pop effort in the late 90s called "dawn pink".. but really i'm probably not the best person to ask.. it's possible there's a burgeoning electronic scene there with great artists, but perhaps it's just too insular to have any exposure overseas, i really don't know at this point.

re: hiero.. man i'm at even more a loss to recommend anything new—i've pretty much been listening to older recordings and a lot of ambient artists for the last year or so. the best bet is to find a few online review-based magazines (there's a lot of them) that specialize in whatever your taste is, and just try a bunch of it until you find something. that being said, the new Junior Boys album is worth checking out "so this is goodbye". i've also played mark van hoen's latest record a lot, "the warmth inside you".. if you like singer/songwriter stuff i recommend Lori Carson's "The Finest Thing", which is a great melding of folky guitar and depressing vocals with some subtle electronic atmospheres (that description probably sounds awful, but its good!). Also Tim Bowness's "my hotel year" is good electronic pop stuff, though a lot of people dislike his vocal style. and Nine Horses - Snowbourne Sorrow is a really interesting experimental pop record that's worth checking out.

im looking around for takahashis stuff, also sketch show stuff... harold budd is sublime too, you were correct in connecting him with sakamoto i just got a most of his albums (bar one i think..)
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

errr.. atma.. the boards of canada forums are teeming with tools

so far up their own asses!!!!

just thought id say that
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

pretension and sanctimony: two hallmarks of the IDM fan-base.

man.. Darkest Dreaming by Sylvian!!!!!

got dead bees on a cake, please recommend your fave album of his atma???
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

O MY... Gone to Earth ... Sylvian.. wow
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

his 3 80s solo albums are by far my favorite, though dead bees is good. "brilliant trees", "gone to earth" and "secrets of the beehive". his ambient record with holger czukay is great too, "plight and premonition".

cool , will get .. got bout 10 harold budd, 8 sakamoto,6 sylvian thus far..

finding the actual albums for sakamoto here is a bitch.. no where has him in the right section if there at all.. i've had to download most of his..

found mototronic in a classical section... Thats all!!!!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

This, my friends, may be the only useful purpose of MySpace. I've found numerous artists that I like, simply by browsing around profiles linked together by a similar friend/artist that I know I like...
    I'm not signing this without my lawyer.

last.fm is good for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian221 View Post
    This, my friends, may be the only useful purpose of MySpace. I've found numerous artists that I like, simply by browsing around profiles linked together by a similar friend/artist that I know I like...
    got about 3 albums last year by that method
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

speaking of new and good music .... NEW ulrich schnauss in 3 months, third album completed !!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

new harold budd album is out as mp3 only on sylvian's site (samadhisound). it's worth checking out

you are kidding!! still sifting through all the budd stuff i've got.. im liking glyph this week !
    thanks for the heads up atma
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

secret of mana AND sakamoto??

ryuichi u bastard, dont make me buy a ps2

http://www.gamezblog.com/dawn-of-mana-%e2%80%93-coming-soon
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

harold budd and cocteau twins, the moon and the melodies,what a perfect combo, it wakes me up each morning and get my brain doing strange things!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Atma or anyone who follows Sakamoto and Yellow Magic Orchestra... Im looking for a recording of the more mellow version of "Cue" - i dont know if it exists .. I have the original song but i like this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vWtV...eature=related

and think it would be great at my wedding .... anyone ?
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to Thread