+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: i love this picture!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D
    BTW, do y'all realize that He could've been Outkast before Outkast was Outkast? It had NOTHING to do with the music.

Have you ever heard anyone claim that Arrested Development wasn't Hip-Hop? They were in the same time, sung in their records as much as they rapped, and varied their music just as much.

AND, they crossed over!
    I can see your point, and mostly, I think you're right.
    However, you seem to be saying that gimmicks used to sell PM Dawn's music were detrimental to the act, and I have trouble agreeing with that.
    AD's first album was a grade-A work of art, but it was festooned with gimmicks. Just as much gimmickry was used to sell AD records as was used for PM Dawn, if not more.
    Remember them doing shows dressed in rags like sharecroppers, and do you remember them decorating their stage with that taciturn old man Baba Oje, who usually did nothing during the stage show but bob his head? None of that had anything to do with their music or their message; it was all gimmickry. It's just that their gimmickry was more acceptable to the Hip-Hop community, as it was seen as "blacker" than the tie-dye, love beads and granny glasses in the PM Dawn videos. I wasn't particularly fond of PM Dawn's hippie trappings, either, but I just ignored it, because it didn't take away from the music.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

he IS a legend to me. and i dig the clothes. thats why i love the pic!

I dig the clothes too.

*running and ducking for cover*
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Quote Originally Posted by Supergirl
    he IS a legend to me. and i dig the clothes. thats why i love the pic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M
    I dig the clothes too.
    *running and ducking for cover*
    Looks like the chicks dig the love beads...
    If I had known that back in '93, I woulda worn them too!
    How is that possible?

The response from this small amount of people regarding be's music is huge.. and i know we arent the only one's.. you mention the music elsewhere and the same response starts to emerge...
    -TheXodus-

Quote Originally Posted by sdldawn
    I honestly think it can still happen.. one powerhouse album and its back on for pm dawn.. i think their sound is welcomed in todays music..
    Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D.
    AGREED!
    SECONDED!

------------------------------------------------

My thought is that back in the day P.M. Dawn was already ahead of the game. Unfortunately, The Corporate Music Monster shoved it's way in and did exactly what it's been doing for years now. Exactly what Coz said above:

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D.
    ...they could make money with his potential, if they shaped it towards their markets and interests. They filled his head with foreign thoughts and ideas, and started steering his image from one of consciousness to some psychedelic hippy persona.
    It's truly unfortunate that this happens to artists. And we, as the listening public, just accepted it as just the way things are. We listened to our FM radios and watched our MTV and bought our cassettes/CD's/Vinyl of our favorite artists as brought to you through the eyes, ears and hands of The Corporate Music Monster.

It's time for P.M. Dawn to come out of the shadows. Release the new album and push for re-releases of the back catalogue. The public is ready. The "retro" movement is in full swing. Artists are moving away from The Corporate Music Monster and are embracing the indie label movement.

It's time for these corporations (and the government) to start paying attention to what the public wants, instead of trying tell us what we want.

----------------------------------------------

AM/FM is dead...satellite radio is where you can get all the music genre's you want commerical free.

The internet has been a major push for artists...especially the indie artists. How much support from the fans would P.M. Dawn have if it weren't for this website and those like it?

Screw the RIAA and their lame attempts to attack those guilty of illegal music distribution. They've been going about it the wrong way since day one! They can't even sue the right people!

Screw the music corporations (and an extra to you Sony BMG) and their, even lamer, attempts to use copy protection devices. They're creating more distrust in the larger population of legal users than they are stoping the lesser population of illegal music distribution users!
    "...Because all you of Earth are idiots!" - Eros, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak
    However, you seem to be saying that gimmicks used to sell PM Dawn's music were detrimental to the act, and I have trouble agreeing with that.
    Where the hell did you get that? I'm the fukkin wikki wikki man from outa space for cryin out loud!

You have this rather annoying habit of reading what you want into my words, NOT ONCE did I ever use the word "gimmick", I used the word "image".

I'm a FIRM believer in gimmicks, hooks and themes. A simple perusal of my work and career will tell you that. What I was lamenting, and I thought I did it very plainly, was the manipulation and distortion of Be's IMAGE from a young, intelligent, black, concious, HIP-HOP artist to a British, eccentric, raceless, Hippy, ANTI-Hip-Hop, Pop artist. And THAT was detrimental to the MAN, and his LEGACY!
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

A'ight, Coz. I feel ya!
    How is that possible?

Alright
    Yeah...

“Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D
    What I was lamenting, and I thought I did it very plainly, was the manipulation and distortion of Be's IMAGE from a young, intelligent, black, concious, HIP-HOP artist to a British, eccentric, raceless, Hippy, ANTI-Hip-Hop, Pop artist. And THAT was detrimental to the MAN, and his LEGACY!
    I hear ya!
    Peace

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by sdldawn
    I honestly think it can still happen.. one powerhouse album and its back on for pm dawn.. i think their sound is welcomed in todays music..
    I totally agree! I don't know if a full album of Bliss Boyz would do it, but a little diversity would definitely attract different crowds... I can't wait to see what the new album holds.
    Peace

Barney Freakin' Rubble

I definitely agree with the whole corporate monster thing. BUT, I heard of PM Dawn from the first *commercial* US success (Set Adrift). That got me in, and from there I was exploring what I could from the artist. I never heard the early/HipHop stuff (Ode to a Forgetful Mind, Twisted Mellow, and For the Love of Piece) until last year. Personally, I liked the first two albums the best. I never really watched the videos (maybe saw a couple of them) because I was working and into girls and computers back then (not much time for TV). I have never been big into traditional ballads, so some of Jesus Wept did not keep me into the scene (I'll Be Waiting for You, Why God Loves You, Miles From Anything, Sonchyenne). By then I was into grunge rock (Chicago area), and probably following that Monster again. Going back for some of my old music is what got me back into (catching up with) PM Dawn last year.

I can't wait to hear more.
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan
    I totally agree! I don't know if a full album of Bliss Boyz would do it, but a little diversity would definitely attract different crowds... I can't wait to see what the new album holds.
    They don't even have to change their sound.. the mass didn't hear enough of it.. the little they did.. they ate it up..

"memory bliss"

"Die without you"

"Patient eye's"

they still eat those songs up...
    -TheXodus-

though in all honesty i thought his JESUS WEPT image was the coolest....when he had the really long cornrows with beads and the blue silk outift...not to mention a couple of cool photos where he had on black leather pants and an infinity tshirt..( i refer to this as his mike hutchence phase)

and i liked is shaved head denim look too,,,,
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

Yeah, I think I preferred be with a shaved head most of all.
    Alright
    Yeah...

I thought the depressed guy with white beads on dearest christian was the best.. though like syxx I loved the downtown venus video and how he was rockin it back then... I don't think P.M. Dawn needs to go down the set adrift/die without u pop song road.. I want to see them go the underground/indie route.. I mean explore those different sounds.. the P.M. Dawn b-sides are arguably the best p.m. dawn tracks.. they are so varied..and weird..and wonderful.. just be writing.. sumthin a little stripped back.. going wherever he wants and releasing the album on itunes would suit me.. but BE likes his "pm dawn sheen" the large vocals and the session players and the big sound and the big pop ballad.. and I have no doubt he has an undeniable talent for that.. but at this stage I think P.M. Dawn could exist as more an alternative/indie/psychedilic type group.. I want the dark gritty raw P.M. dawn.. i want songs like savanahville/holdin u from eventually/non-fiction burning/you me the vibe electric/i hate myself for you/she dreams persistent maybes/lonely..i could be with you forever(perfect example)/as disappointing as your mercy...
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

Barney Freakin' Rubble

I definitely appreciated all of the artwork from all of the albums! I hope that eventually continues...
    Quote Originally Posted by HieroHero
    ...i want songs like savanahville/holdin u from eventually/non-fiction burning/you me the vibe electric/i hate myself for you/she dreams persistent maybes/lonely..i could be with you forever(perfect example)/as disappointing as your mercy...
    Wow! Some of those are *very* different. I definitely like the I Hate Myself For You and She Dreams Persistant Maybes, but Savanahville and You Me the Vibe Electric are too out there for me... Too each his own, though.
    Peace

vibe electric is awesome, as is non fict burning...
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to Thread