+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Prince 3121

Prince 3121

Ok, I just got this album and it is really impressive. Has kind of a Latin influence, but it's the old-skool funky Prince.

I could have lived without "The Word" (if you're going to try to save my soul, at least do it to a less-than-deathly-dull tune), and I wasn't thrilled by "Te Amo Corazon." The rest were either brilliant, or good enough to listen to again. Overall, I think it's a damn fine product.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Didn't dig it.. He needs a producer..

And "The Word" to me, is one of the best songs on the album..

a lot of cheesy moments on this joint... Wish he would consider using some decent instrumentation.. Sounds like he is rushing his products these days..
    -TheXodus-

I tried my best to listen to this cd without much expectation... I just wanted to hear some good music.. and there is some on this cd.. I just kept reading review after review.. and they talked like this new cd was made out of gold... most of the stuff I heard about the album was not true at all... but this is really good radio format stuff.. he should do well, and at least grab a number one spot in album sales since nothing else is out to compete against it.
    -TheXodus-

Quote Originally Posted by sdldawn
    a lot of cheesy moments on this joint...
    I can't believe you just said that about a Prince album!!!!
    But for once I agree with you 100%...some decent moments on this disc...not enough for me to consider buyin' it though.
    I'm not signing this without my lawyer.

Man, these reviews are disappointing. I really liked Musicology...
    I hear that Best Buy is selling 3121 for $9.95, but considering these reviews, I may wait until it gets to my favorite used music store.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak
    Man, these reviews are disappointing. I really liked Musicology...
    I hear that Best Buy is selling 3121 for $9.95, but considering these reviews, I may wait until it gets to my favorite used music store.
    Honestly.. if u dig Musicology.. you'll probably end up enjoyin this disk..

I for one (besides Reflection).. think Musicology is crap.

Prince formatted this album in the same way he did musicology...

Thats a heep of talent that shines when he plays live.. too bad it doesn't reflect his studio material these days..
    -TheXodus-

Are you sure that you're not expecting too much of a Prince album? It's pretty much the way things are that if you buy a Prince album, then it's not a good idea to expect all the tracks to be good (or in the past decade, to expect most of the tracks to be good). When there are three or four solid jams on a post- O+> album, I consider it to be a decent album. I spent 40 bucks on Crystal Ball back in the 90s, and I didn't like a single song on the whole three-disc set!
    How is that possible?

well.. I honestly wanted just to hear some decent music on it.. I am just not satisfied with the overall sound... Looks like some fine written songs, but jacked up with fake instrumentation and commercial appeal...

You'll find what your looking for on it... I'd at least hear it..
    -TheXodus-

I saw Prince perform on SNL this season. Does this album have that song A Woman Scorned on it? I was sitting there with my mouth open when I was watching that. I couldn't believe that he was performing on TV with a song that sucked so badly.
    How is that possible?

Intelligent Posts :11

that was on just this past saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak
    I saw Prince perform on SNL this season. Does this album have that song A Woman Scorned on it? I was sitting there with my mouth open when I was watching that. I couldn't believe that he was performing on TV with a song that sucked so badly.
    Yes, its called Fury.. the studio version doesn't hold a candle to that on snl...

a lot of fans were dissapointed with that song on 3121 after hearing him do so well (guitar wise) on there..
    -TheXodus-

SDL , you dont like a prince album ??
    you are so Soy and Linseed gluten free with a hint of honey bread..
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

I have to say I was feeling Musicology, but 3121 not so much. I am huge Prince fan so it is with a heavy heart I say that.
    "he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God."

Jesus Christ...Luke 12:9

Quote Originally Posted by ETHERSPIN
    you are so Soy and Linseed gluten free with a hint of honey bread..
    yeah... Thanks for noticing.. It took me all day to bake my buns.
    -TheXodus-

Quote Originally Posted by ETHERSPIN
    There be a good few of I dont prefer.. Mostly (imo) its due to never hiring a producer..

he has way to big of an ego for someone to help him structure his ideas.
    -TheXodus-

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

I don't have the album, I stopped buying his shit after Crystal Ball (although I can't believe somebody couldn't find even ONE song to like on there...)

But I really did love his performance of "Fury" on SNL. At this rate, he's averaging one good song every couple of years since 1998.

"Oh buddy, what a fuckin waste." -- Billy Sparks.
    Keep your headphones on.

Quote Originally Posted by samedeepwaterasyou
    I stopped buying his shit after Crystal Ball (although I can't believe somebody couldn't find even ONE song to like on there...)
    A few years ago when I was ripping my music collection to mp3, due to storage space concerns I had at the time, I didn't rip everything, and in my Prince collection, Crystal Ball is conspicuously missing, which leads me to believe that I didn't remotely like anything on it.
    I just may listen to it again to give it another chance; sometimes when I do that, I realize that I like the album. With Terence Trent D'arby's third album Symphony or Damn, I listened in 1993, didn't like it, listened again in 1996, and loved it. Of course, I re-listened to Living Colour's Stain twice, because I really wanted to like it. However, I still hate it.
    It does seem like a shame, though, to have a 40 dollar disc set that I don't even listen to.

But I really did love his performance of "Fury" on SNL.
    I liked the performance; I just didn't like the song. The shimmying curvy singers and the end guitar solo were great. I just thought the song lacked in the creativity that I expect from Prince.
    And he should have made an appearance on the "Prince Show" sketch.
    How is that possible?

I think the problem is that Prince revolutionized music once, and to expect anyone to do that twice in a lifetime is expecting too much.

I think 3121 is pretty good. It's funky, it's catchy. Is it the best album ever? No. Is it the best Prince has ever done? No. But I still dig it. and I thought the performance of "Fury" on SNL was hot. I do wish the album version was more guitar heavy like the live version, but I think the album is worth a listen.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Crystal Ball (The Song) is one of his most impressive works.

the rest of that 3cd set is sortof rubbish... he straight up made his fans think he was releasing older jams that had any weight to them...

turns out they were flap jacks..

This is regarding the 3cd.. not The Truth.. that is a raw acoustic gem for me.. its before he was tainted by that damn larry graham
    -TheXodus-

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

amen, saddle. I think the first 2 cuts on the truth cd are the best on there tho.

"crystal ball" the song: yeah it's a classic but the bootleg versions (pick one, there's what, like 3?) are better.

I dl'd the snl performance of Fury, and i'm straight with that.
    Keep your headphones on.

+ Reply to Thread