+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any dog owners?? I need advice

Well let me just say that I'm not buying a dog tomorrow, maybe by next summer, but I'm just researching now. The dog I'm interested in getting is a beagle. I've got books and I do a lot of researching online about the breed, so I don't have "puppy-love" and am just interested in the dog because it's cute. I have a friend who is just being a total jerk and completely discouraging me, only because he has a boxer and he swears they are the be all and end all to dog breeds (don't you just love those people who know everything and only give you credit if you support or uphold the same things they believe )

Well he's telling me that I would hate the dog and that beagles are dumb, and I'll never be able to house train it. I just wanted to know if there were any other dog owners (or maybe even any beagle owners) at the forum that could give me a little advice about the situation.
    Don't let them change you inside, cause anyone who matters will try to understand who you are.

When you always stay in self-incarceration...I think it's such a shame.

I made a pilgrimage to save this human race, never comprehending the race was long gone by.

Intelligent Posts :11

ive got some advice foxy...do not...and i repeat do not take advice from frek...baroo shouldve been shot awhile ago....

on the serious though..my aunt has some that she breeds..let me get in touch with her and see if she will post or email you some info...

Thanks Chief
    Don't let them change you inside, cause anyone who matters will try to understand who you are.

I made a pilgrimage to save this human race, never comprehending the race was long gone by.

I had a dog once

the bitch left me :cry:

oh damn I just remembered that she's a member on the forum now

[size=24][b]ITALIAN GREYHOUND!

what kind of dog do you have frEk. Is it pretty well behaved?

i have an:
    [quote][size=24][b]ITALIAN GREYHOUND!

and he's just about the dumbest dog i ever seen, but he's just as sweet as he is dumb, no he's not very good either i gotta kep my eye on him alot, but in other ways he's real good, won't fuck with my food, i can drop his leash and he won't go flyin away somewhere(which this breed is suppose to do but he don't) he's full grown 10 lbs, the biggest problem with this breed is house breaking, he use to chew shit as a puppy but he ain't chewed nothing in forever now....but he's definitely a companion animal, not very independent, he will follow you all over the fucking house all day and the second you sit down he's curled up with you..........sorta a mixed bag i guess

thanks for the info, sorry my comp is crap so i couldn't read the text that you had with the picture that's why I asked what breed the dog was.

I have had dogs, all my life and have had a beagle once a really long time ago. I loved that dog. DESPITE what any dumb ass has to say, beagles are among the smartest dogs. I think the top most intelligent dogs are Collies/German Shepards/Dobermans/Retrievers/Beagles (hey Snoopy's a beagle)/Chows..and on down. I'm sorry but Rots are good for only one thing..sheer power and killing ability, they aren't very smart. With any dog, they can be trained to obey, but certain dogs have an inate intelligence others don't. Well those are my two cents :thumup:
    Something is neither good nor bad but thinking makes it so.

I have had dogs, all my life and have had a beagle once a really long time ago. I loved that dog. DESPITE what any dumb ass has to say, beagles are among the smartest dogs. I think the top most intelligent dogs are Collies/German Shepards/Dobermans/Retrievers/Beagles (hey Snoopy's a beagle)/Chows..and on down. I'm sorry but Rots are good for only one thing..sheer power and killing ability, they aren't very smart. With any dog, they can be trained to obey, but certain dogs have an inate intelligence others don't. Well those are my two cents :thumup:
    thank you so much Tybris, this is the exact message that I was trying to tell my so-called friend, it's not that beagles are hard to train because they are dumb, it's just that they are hounds and hounds tend to be more intelligent than other dogs and don't fall for the same okie-doke tricks other dogs do to get them to obey, you just have to use more innovative training techniques, but of course he dismissed all i was saying because, one I don't own a dog, and two he's just crazy about his boxer (which I think he's just a wee bit too attached too, but that's a whole other post right there). But I really do appreciate the tips from other dog owners.

no offense Ty, but poodles are right up there as far as intelligence gos...

Um...you..own..a poodle Chief?

Ooook. I still respect you.

fru fru :rofl:

hahaha..i was waitin for that......took ya long enough..no i dont own a poodle...

used to have a german shepherd as a kid called zuri..absolute champ..but we had to put him down :donno:
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

Yeah, I've lost alot of good dogs over the years, wish they didn't age so dam fast, it really sucks. You get really attatched to them ya know. I love my cat but, the loss of a dog is more like a family member dying, go fig. I think its cuz cats are too dam independant. I've had lots of different kinds of dogs, from beagles to great danes. I currently have a minature german shepard..well a half breed anyway. Her mom was a full blood, but she died last year :cry:

Well that's life, it happens, she was very old. We had her for 9 years I think.

we had zuri from a pup! when we went to choose him he came running up to us n shit.. but he always had problems..exma?? n shit anyway in the end he was real sick and we had no choice but to put him down..put him out of his misery i guess..havent had a pet since..i think that one was a bit too much....
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

Well, I had a cat named Doobee for over 9 years that got cancer and we had to put him to sleep. I've had 5 dogs in my life and that cat was smarter than all of them put together.

He knew his name and answered to it every time. When he would roam the neighborhood backyards, I would go outside and call out his name 1 time and listen as he scaled fences on his way to me without fail. He would kiss me and my wife every morning when we woke up, but he would never wake us up for anything. He was as independent as any cat but he knew he was part of the family and played his part to the hilt. It was like he knew what we were thinking and we knew what he was thinking.

He had a crazy sweet tooth, we would give him a cupcake for his birthday every year. We would all sing to him and then he would sit right there and eat it. One time he stole 1 of my wife's yankee doodles and CURLED BACK UP THE CELLOPHANE and the only reason we found out was because he hid the paper under the bed.

After his cancer had gotten so bad that all of his teeth had dropped out, he would still catch mice, but he would beat them to death. We would actually find them practically flat. I WOULD PLACE THIS CAT UP AGAINST ANY DOG!

When we had no choice but to put him to sleep (his cancer had finally gotten to the point where he couldn't eat), my wife, son and I were inconsolable at the vet (my youngest wasn't born yet). I cried for him harder and longer than I did for my own grandmother, and she was like a second mother to me. Hell, I'm even choking up typing this.

So yeah, I would agree that in general, because they are so loyal, that dogs become closer and more like part of the family than cats...but I don't think there can be anything more special than a cat like I had.

EZ
    Coz
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

:cry:

basically fox...pets are cool..whatever you decide to get, love it unconditionally and it will do the same for you. Nothing like having a pet when no one else is around to talk to or curl up with when you're lonely, or seeing their wagging tail greeting you at the door when you come home. They can be alot of work and responsibility, but hey..still less than any kid..heh.

No I don't have any kids, but I've raised my share of them. I think I know more about how to take care of kids than most other single men out there..but that's a different post..heh.

cool I appreciate all the advice. Right now I share a townhouse with my best friend who is allergic to pet dander, I keep saying I want to wait until I get a real house and my dog will have a real backyard to play in and it won't be in anyone else's way but mine, but if I keep putting it off I could be missing out on a lot of good times. I think I'm going through with it and getting a beagle and I'm gonna name it Goku (yes after the character on Dragonball Z :laugh: )

+ Reply to Thread