+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Class of 2 Things I Love

A Class of 2 Things I Love

My high school and my Steelers.

It's odd that this incident would happen at my high school.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...ory?id=2303468

I have very mixed feelings about this ordeal.
    I love the summer months!

yeah, not cool, but in this age it doesn't get ignored.
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

Intelligent Posts :11

i actually laughed when i heard about this.......yes...going overboard, but still was funny to me....not that i would do anything like that, but that some dumbass had the balls to actually do this...and the dick teaches...

oh..i didnt even look at the article....

I think the boy is oversensitive and making much ado out of nothing, and his parents are so overprotective, that he may never grow out it. According to the article, this was a class teaching about ethnicity, and I'm sure that this was an object lesson on bigotry. It's a very harsh lesson, but let's face it; it's a harsh subject.
    The boy felt left out and rejected because of the shirt he was wearing? Big deal. He can change his shirt. Unfortunately, it's generally either impossible or unthinkable for someone to change their ethnicity or religion in order to escape similar treatment in the real world.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

you said it bro.

He's lucky. The school was a bit tougher in my day. He would've gotten his butt kicked BEFORE he hit the classroom. Tigers and Steelers, sacred ground there.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak
    According to the article, this was a class teaching about ethnicity, and I'm sure that this was an object lesson on bigotry. It's a very harsh lesson, but let's face it; it's a harsh subject.
    The boy felt left out and rejected because of the shirt he was wearing? Big deal. He can change his shirt. Unfortunately, it's generally either impossible or unthinkable for someone to change their ethnicity or religion in order to escape similar treatment in the real world.

Wow, I didn't get that impression from the article at all. Giving an object lesson in class is one thing; doing it during a test when grades count is another thing. And the teacher didn't say it was designed as an object lesson. He said if the kid was embarrassed, then it was a lesson.

Also, it wasn't the shirt that made him feel left out. It was the fact that the teacher ridiculed him in front of the whole class and threw crumpled up paper at him. Imagine trying to take a test on the floor after something like that.

I gotta say I would probably be furious too. What an a-hole.
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

Yeah, I don't think you guys have thought this one through. How would YOU like to have to take your MID-TERM EXAM under those conditions?

If he's my kid I'm at the school raising hell. He better get an automatic passing grade! Talk about extra credit!
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

I'm sorry I brought it up. And I'll shut up now.

Don't be sorry. That's what it's all about, right? Everyone's got their own take.
    I just don't end up where think I'm going when I start out.

tru dat.

For all who still give a damn or are remotely interested in this stupid incident, I bring you and update from a classmate of mine whose son is in the same class with this idiot.

As mentioned in the article, this is an ethnic diversity class offered by my school. All students in the class MUST have their parents sign a waiver to allow the teacher to give lessons in discrimination to each and every student in different times of the year. So basically everyone in this class will be purposely targeted for discrimination at one point or another.

Secondly, my classmate says that the kid was throwing paper back at the rest of the class in jest. So he didn't feel too victimized by the incident. It was his mother who called the Denver press FIRST that set this whole thing in motion. I knew this whole incident SMELLED from the beginning, now it makes a lot more sense to me with this info.

(and I said I was going to shut up )

Quote Originally Posted by Louis85
    For all who still give a damn or are remotely interested in this stupid incident, I bring you and update from a classmate of mine whose son is in the same class with this idiot.

As mentioned in the article, this is an ethnic diversity class offered by my school. All students in the class MUST have their parents sign a waiver to allow the teacher to give lessons in discrimination to each and every student in different times of the year. So basically everyone in this class will be purposely targeted for discrimination at one point or another.

Secondly, my classmate says that the kid was throwing paper back at the rest of the class in jest. So he didn't feel too victimized by the incident. It was his mother who called the Denver press FIRST that set this whole thing in motion. I knew this whole incident SMELLED from the beginning, now it makes a lot more sense to me with this info.

(and I said I was going to shut up )
    So he was NOT taking his mid-terms?
    Alright
    Yeah...

Intelligent Posts :11

ahhh...that makes total sense

Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    ahhh...that makes total sense
    ...not!

The kid himself said in the interview that he was so upset he left over 20 questions on his test blank and that he's "shaking and furious..." doesn't sound like a joke to me.

While I understand and applaud the point of the class, and the idea of picking on one student each day to get them to understand discrimination, a test day is not appropriate. What are there? 30 students to a class? There's plenty of time in the quarter or semester to do that kind of activity to everyone without discriminating against a student during a test day.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M
    ...not!

The kid himself said in the interview that he was so upset he left over 20 questions on his test blank and that he's "shaking and furious..." doesn't sound like a joke to me.
    Yeah... I'll bet he got an "A" in drama class.
    If I were his therapist, I would prescribe him 100mg of Getoverit.

While I understand and applaud the point of the class, and the idea of picking on one student each day to get them to understand discrimination, a test day is not appropriate. What are there? 30 students to a class? There's plenty of time in the quarter or semester to do that kind of activity to everyone without discriminating against a student during a test day.
    Have you considered any scenarios involving subterfuge?
    Here's a take: he didn't study for his midterm, and he knew that he would crash and burn, so he found an opportunity in the fact that it was Bronco-bashing day in his class, that he could use as an excuse for his poor performance.

I remember doing badly in a class and using "the teacher is mean" as an excuse.
    How is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak
    Have you considered any scenarios involving subterfuge?
    Here's a take: he didn't study for his midterm, and he knew that he would crash and burn, so he found an opportunity in the fact that it was Bronco-bashing day in his class, that he could use as an excuse for his poor performance.

I remember doing badly in a class and using "the teacher is mean" as an excuse.
    Any teacher who would single out ONE kid for unequal treatment during a mid-term exam is wrong, I don't give a fukk if the kid got everything right Plus extra credit. I would be down there raising hell if it was my kid, and I am NOT the coddling type of parent! My kids have known since the very first time that they uttered the phrase "that isn't fair" that LIFE isn't fair, but I'll be dammed if I'm going to sit back and allow some teacher to discriminate against my kid when it comes down to his grades!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Here is a follow-up - the kid has a lawyer and received threats from classmates...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_418072.html
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D
    Any teacher who would single out ONE kid for unequal treatment during a mid-term exam is wrong, I don't give a fukk if the kid got everything right Plus extra credit. I would be down there raising hell if it was my kid, and I am NOT the coddling type of parent! My kids have known since the very first time that they uttered the phrase "that isn't fair" that LIFE isn't fair, but I'll be dammed if I'm going to sit back and allow some teacher to discriminate against my kid when it comes down to his grades!
    I can write you a prescription for Getoverit too...
    How is that possible?

anyone else hear that the kid got an autographed leather chair from John Elway? It's true, he did.

Louis, with that reference to the class and what happened there, I understand it more. The only thing is, there is a line, I am not saying the teacher crossed the line, but I am saying that the student could have felt the teacher did. That would be a bad thing for the teacher to do(even in that class). As long as the kid knew that things could get hairy, he shouldn't feel bad when they do - which apparently he did. BUT, it was OBVIOUS that he(the student) wanted attention when wearing that jersey that day, he got what he wanted and it mad him sad, that is his own fault.
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

Last edited by Louis85; 02-01-2006 at 01:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread