+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A speech

Half of my 8th graders are getting Ds and Fs because their effort sucks. I told them just that today. They've come to the conclusion that the world owes them something. I wonder why....???

because they are in 8th grade.

teachers have 00000 clue how to touch students.. (the ones i've had)

didnt learn shit in 8th grade....failed just about everything

and dispite the fact my freshman year i fucked up too i'm getting good grades this tri in the classes i have a tiny bit of interest in

middle school dont meant shiyattttt

well it does..your a good teacher
    www.moerockmusic.com

PM Dawn for life.

In my world, how you perform in middle school determines whether or not you can get into a good magnet high school program. Otherwise, you're stuck in an overcrowded regular school.

My problem is, I relate to the students too well. After we're done working, I often give them the last 10 or 15 minutes of class to play games or just talk. What do most of them do???They crowd around my desk, wanting to tell me more about their problems or ask for more advice. I have to tell them to get away from my desk.

When I was in high school, I skipped every other day, showed up for tests, aced them, sweet talked the teacher, and really couldn't care less about the whole thing either way. I was in 12th grade when I got my GED. I took it at my school on a whim and the principal actually pulled me out of class to say that I only missed 3 points on the entire test and that I could home home because now I was finished with high school.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by wendyful04
    I was in 12th grade when I got my GED. I took it at my school on a whim and the principal actually pulled me out of class to say that I only missed 3 points on the entire test and that I could home home because now I was finished with high school.
    It's great that you did so well, but did you get to finish school with your peers? Walk across the stage and get your diploma? Or was that it? Instant end of the (high school) road? That would seem so anticlimactic after so many years in school....
    Peace

please tell me how i can be more succesful with teachers

i seem to have bad relationships with some of them

tell me all about your job if you feel like it

im soooo intriged i really love getting a teachers perspective on everything school..how do you look at students? do you think they suck up? anything please

:-) bless you
    www.moerockmusic.com

PM Dawn for life.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by Moe
    Just don't pull a Greco Middle School stunt!
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Moe

tell me all about your job if you feel like it

im soooo intriged i really love getting a teachers perspective on everything school..how do you look at students? do you think they suck up? anything please
    Well, for starters, you could learn to use a dictionary and properly spell words like "intrigue" and the difference between "your a good teacher" and "you're a good teacher."

That might help a bit right there...or maybe that's only bitchy college profs

Wendy can answer your question more to your liking, but I will say at the college level, the students I like might be the so-called "ass-kissers" -- the ones that do their work and show up prepared for discussion in every class. The students who raise their hands, come to my office hours to talk about history, and go above and beyond in their assignments. The students who get A's in my courses aren't the ones who just do the bare minimum, but the ones who will write longer papers and use extra sources and just overall put in more effort. Some people may consider that ass-kissing. I consider that a student who really wants to make an effort to learn and is worthwhile of my time.

For example, last semester I had a young man in my class who was very upset at failing his first paper. He came to my office and we reviewed his work and I strongly recommended he go to the writing center. My policy is that if you can't take the time to use spell check or write sentences in proper English, I am not going to waste my valuable time trying to decipher what you are trying to say. Well for his next paper, he didn't even meet the assignment parameters (the assignment was 5+ pages, he handed in 3 poorly written ones). It was obvious he didn't bother to go to the writing center to work on his grammar. He was upset again, and said he was on academic probation and would lose his sports scholarship. I said, "Did you go to the writing center? Did you even bother to complete the assignment? Why have you missed half of the class sessions? How do you expect me to care when obviously you don't?"

On the other side, I had a young woman in my class who was wonderful. Her papers were 10 pages and had a variety of sources (for one of them she did colonial carriages, and even went to a carriage museum in Long Island -- above and beyond the call of duty). She did all of her readings and raised her hand consistently to answer questions during the discussion period. She came to my office hours on the rare occasions she missed class to get notes and ask questions. She consistently demonstrated that she cared about the course and about her grade in it, and was rewarded with an A+ for the semester.

So the moral of the story: if you want to impress a teacher, then give a rat's ass. We work really hard to teach you, and you should work equally hard to learn.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

all this forum needs now is a member with serious teacher fetish
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ETHERSPIN
    all this forum needs now is a member with serious teacher fetish
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

shoulda guessed.. how did your teachers pay you for their weed ?
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan
    It's great that you did so well, but did you get to finish school with your peers? Walk across the stage and get your diploma? Or was that it? Instant end of the (high school) road? That would seem so anticlimactic after so many years in school....

walked out
    smiled
    laughed
    went to the beach
    never looked back

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M
    Well, for starters, you could learn to use a dictionary and properly spell words like "intrigue" and the difference between "your a good teacher" and "you're a good teacher."

That might help a bit right there...or maybe that's only bitchy college profs

Wendy can answer your question more to your liking, but I will say at the college level, the students I like might be the so-called "ass-kissers" -- the ones that do their work and show up prepared for discussion in every class. The students who raise their hands, come to my office hours to talk about history, and go above and beyond in their assignments. The students who get A's in my courses aren't the ones who just do the bare minimum, but the ones who will write longer papers and use extra sources and just overall put in more effort. Some people may consider that ass-kissing. I consider that a student who really wants to make an effort to learn and is worthwhile of my time.

For example, last semester I had a young man in my class who was very upset at failing his first paper. He came to my office and we reviewed his work and I strongly recommended he go to the writing center. My policy is that if you can't take the time to use spell check or write sentences in proper English, I am not going to waste my valuable time trying to decipher what you are trying to say. Well for his next paper, he didn't even meet the assignment parameters (the assignment was 5+ pages, he handed in 3 poorly written ones). It was obvious he didn't bother to go to the writing center to work on his grammar. He was upset again, and said he was on academic probation and would lose his sports scholarship. I said, "Did you go to the writing center? Did you even bother to complete the assignment? Why have you missed half of the class sessions? How do you expect me to care when obviously you don't?"

On the other side, I had a young woman in my class who was wonderful. Her papers were 10 pages and had a variety of sources (for one of them she did colonial carriages, and even went to a carriage museum in Long Island -- above and beyond the call of duty). She did all of her readings and raised her hand consistently to answer questions during the discussion period. She came to my office hours on the rare occasions she missed class to get notes and ask questions. She consistently demonstrated that she cared about the course and about her grade in it, and was rewarded with an A+ for the semester.

So the moral of the story: if you want to impress a teacher, then give a rat's ass. We work really hard to teach you, and you should work equally hard to learn.

co-signed (thank you, Mistress M)

If you don't care about your basic academic progress then I would want no part of promoting you to the next level. There are enough illiterate, non-spelling, mispronouncing MFs in this country already, dragging us down.
    Last edited by wendyful04; 01-29-2006 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan
    What you failed to read between the lines was that she would NOT have graduated on time if she hadn't taken the test. This is because though many high school teachers will pass you simply because you know the work and can ace any test they lay out in front of you, many others will not. Therefore, though you will pass MOST of your classes using this method, you are also bound to fail 1 or 2 each marking period. Some because they take it personally when you cut their class, some because they think school is as much about discipline and conformance as it is about learning, and others because they rigidly grade by percentages divided amongst homework, projects, tests, and class participation. The more intelligent teachers however will pass you because they understand that in High School it is the EDUCATION that is paramount.

How do I know this you ask? Because it is the story of my life I answer.

I spent most of my HS years getting high and cutting class. I made sure to show up on occasion to get reading assignments and such, and to show up for tests which I usually aced without a problem. I got kicked out for selling drugs in what should have been my senior year, but I had been assigned a junior homeroom since I had too many credits to make up. So, I took my GED and aced it. I had to lie about my age because you either had to be 18 (I was 17) or your freshman class had to have graduated (they had nearly the whole school year still to go). I then took the SAT without studying (studying is for pussies), was so overwhelmed that I just answered what I knew and walked out in disgust!

Scored a 1300.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

moe look up freestyle and project blowed...
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D
    What you failed to read between the lines was that she would NOT have graduated on time if she hadn't taken the test.
    Yeah, I did not get that. I read it again and still did not get it - sounded to me like she did not like school, but aced tests, then took the GED exam on a whim and magically was done with school - making fun of the process and showing that you can pass a GED without a full high school education. I am terrible at reading between the lines...

Nice SAT score! I scraped by - never liked tests - always second guessed the questions (is it a trick question? what are they really asking? is that an inclusive list or just one of several possible answers? etc) and took too long to answer.
    Peace

+ Reply to Thread