+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hey hax(or someone else)

harm ill give you my Add if you want to send the dual g5 this way

g3 400, g4 733, g3 600 ibook, p4 osx 10.4, p3, dell 6400 quad xeon server, imac, acer p4 laptop, compaq p3 laptop, 3com audrey, hacked 233 virgin webplayer (picture frame). dell 6300 pmdawn.net server 3 linux firewalls. and all running HAAHAHAHAHAHA i love my 140$ power bill.

replaced me moms, 2 sisters, uncle, and 2 good friends, and one person i just know, with macs. I can get the old 300g3 imacs if anyone wants one.

Yea coz happy here i love my bash shell the most! moved all my linux server scripts over and never have to buy secure crt to ssh into my linux box's !

oh and all my 12 button track ball work fine
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

you guys are all fan boyz

As for the original question, justafan, if you can see the other computer, check your Internet settings and make sure you aren't trying to route HTTP traffic through a proxy server or something (I had to fix someone elses computer the other day that had this problem). A lot of the old school ISP's wanted to route stuff by making changes to the global filters instead of the specific IP stack filter for that network connection.

Lots of garbly gook geek talk, sorry. This will depend on what version of IE you are using, but go into Tools->Internet options. Find the connections tab. Here there might be a button called LAN settings, make sure that everything is this dialog is unchecked (especially the proxy ones).

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Quote Originally Posted by Harmeister
    Not exactly true, Coz. What I do for a living requires all the platforms. The vectra is running Red Hat Linux, the kayaks are running win2k, the thinkpads are running xp pro, and the Mac is running 10.3.9 (we have two tiger server's in the lab, along with Solaris 7, 8, 9, and 10, some AIX boxes, other flavors of Linux (Turbo Linux, SuSE, RedHat AES 2 and 3, probably some other too)). I have to make sure the stuff we do runs on *all* of them, not just the PC. The installer (which I write) must run on all of these platforms, and run flawlessly. ColdFusion itself has to worry not only about the OS it runs on, but what App server is running it too (JRun, WebShpere, WebLogic, JBoss, Tomcat, etc.) That's a *huge* matrix of OS x App server combination. So saying that I don't use them as part of my work is untrue. They (unfortunately) are my work.

That being said, I *totally* prefer the PC as a development platform. Almost any of the top of the line IDE's I have found for a PC is better than XCode (although, in it's favor, XCode is one of the better ones for a Mac, but it has no where near the functionality of the PC IDE's). I've been working with Eclipse for a while, and the Mac version of Eclipse is better than the windows version too (more stable). And when I say working with Eclipse, I mean writing plugins for it.
    OK, what I should have said is what you do for a living works best on a PC. What I do for a living doesn't require a Mac either, in fact, I could do it completely on a PC if I chose to, it just works best on a Mac. When I said you don't use it I meant in everyday usage. I use both everyday, and frankly, the Mac experience is MUCH more pleasant and gratifying.

Of course, I'm oblivious to all of this code talk. As for the tech talk, THAT I'm familiar with, having been building and working with PCs for the last 10 years. If all I did was use Mac, I would oblivious to that too. After all, you see all of the tech gobbledygook that you have to resort to just to just to get Justa on the internet. The equivalent on the Mac (even in OS 9 for crise sakes)? Plug the damm cable in!

Fanboy my ass! If the thing didn't work I would kick it to the curb just like anything else! What the hell do I care about Apple? I don't own any stock.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

I'm going to be starting a Mac Mini colo service once I iron out details with another hosting provider, those things turned out to make nice low-powered servers and we found that you can fit a shitload of them into a single cabinet.

I might end up with one sitting next to the other PC's on my desk before it's all over.

Harm... I had gone to LAN before, I didn't know whether or not the boxes should be checked there. They were checked, I unchecked them. Things still do not work, but it does not ask me for a password anymore, which I guess is a good thing.

PM Fan... I got into the command area, but my computer was on C:\Windows\Desktop> and I couldn't get it to anywhere else but the A:\ drive. I assume that it needs to be in the windows area only, not on desktop, how do I get it there(or wherever it needs to be, what do I type after the C:\Windows\Desktop> display)

Thanks

PS Mac's suck
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintHax
    I'm going to be starting a Mac Mini colo service once I iron out details with another hosting provider, those things turned out to make nice low-powered servers and we found that you can fit a shitload of them into a single cabinet.

I might end up with one sitting next to the other PC's on my desk before it's all over.
    Beware the dark side Hax!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D
    After all, you see all of the tech gobbledygook that you have to resort to just to just to get Justa on the internet. The equivalent on the Mac (even in OS 9 for crise sakes)? Plug the damm cable in!
    If this was XP, it would probably be the same thing (plug the cable in). We're dealing with windows 98 here. You have to jump through hoops.

I'm not trying to start a flame/OS war here, just pointing out that OS 8 (which is what a Mac had in 1998) was sometimes as un user-friendly as windows 98 was when it came to configuring your network. Appletalk was always a pain to set up, not to mention trying to get IPX/SPX to work properly anywhere. It's just the OS showing its age more than anything else, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Harmeister; 12-05-2005 at 11:38 PM.

so anyway, back to fixing justafan's computer.....

also, i don't really have much against macs except their stupid mouse, and i've heard that they've made some with a right button. and i respect the company more than microsoft just because microsoft stole everything. but i'm still sticking with a pc because it's what i grew up on and it's easier that way.

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

Somebody, please help with this...

I got into the command area, but my computer was on C:\Windows\Desktop> and I couldn't get it to anywhere else but the A:\ drive. I assume that it needs to be in the windows area only, not on desktop, how do I get it there(or wherever it needs to be, what do I type after the C:\Windows\Desktop> display)

then I can run the icpfg thing and it will work, and I can post that here to see what the deal is...

did you try: cd ..

That should roll you back one directory level.
    I love the summer months!

Barney Freakin' Rubble

You don't have to be anywhere - it should be in your path. Did you try typing "ipconfig /all"?
    Peace

EVERY Mac I've ever had...since 1992 and OS 7.solongagoidontevenremember... HAD A 2 BUTTON MOUSE!!!!!

Yes, I had to buy them and install 3rd party software, but I had them! I'm NOT arguing PC vs Mac, I've ALWAYS used both. At 1 time I had both AND an Amiga, and preferred the AMIGA!

Good luck Justafan. If you plan to buy a new computer, and are not planning to do anything PC specific on it, do yourself a favor....
    Alright
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan
    You don't have to be anywhere - it should be in your path. Did you try typing "ipconfig /all"?
    windows 98 does not have ipconfig.

it has a different utility called ipcfg (which is a windows application, not a command line utilty).

I honestly don't think that's the way to go and solve it. You have a proxy server setup somewhere in your config from an old ISP that is messing you up. Did you look in the internet options from within IE?

Or download firefox from the other computer (since you can see it) and install it on the non-working one. Can firefox see the web and just not IE? (also very possible that IE is plain screwed up)

it has a different utility called ipcfg (which is a windows application, not a command line utilty).

I honestly don't think that's the way to go and solve it. You have a proxy server setup somewhere in your config from an old ISP that is messing you up. Did you look in the internet options from within IE?

Or download firefox from the other computer (since you can see it) and install it on the non-working one. Can firefox see the web and just not IE? (also very possible that IE is plain screwed up)
    I think that it is not just IE though. I tried to both ipconfig /all and ipcfg and neither of them worked.

The Ethernet thing downloaded an @t Home browser onto my computer, it dioesn't work either, that is why I am confused.

IE doesn't have an uninstall on my computer for some reason. Should I just try to take it off my computer and then reinstall it from the other computer?Then see if it works? Is that the best bet? I don't think firefox will be able to see it... but I could try that...

IE does not have an uninstall, it really is part of the OS. What do you have set for your internet options (your connections settings). ipcfgwill not tell you this, I don't think. but you should be able to run it. go to start->run, type in "ipcfg" no quotes, and click run. Does this actually run (it should, if not, then something else is messed I think)

Quote Originally Posted by justafan
    I tried to both ipconfig /all and ipcfg and neither of them worked.
    these are not part of any internet thing on your computer, per se. What they do is allow you to see how the IP stack is set up. (see previous post about running ipcfg)

Barney Freakin' Rubble

That's funny, my daughter's Win98 box has it. And ipcfg is not found on that box. The instructions I had given were straight from doing it on my daughter's Win98 box. Hmmm... maybe it comes with something extra (like 98SE or some service pack)...
    Peace

You will NEVER guess what computer I am typing this from...

I am so happy!

Thanks to Harm, Hax, PM Fan and anyone else that helped, tried to help, or wished me luck.

It was the checks on the internet connection page that were holding me back.

Thanks again.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Glad to see you are up and running!
    Peace

glad to hear it. Darn proxy servers...

+ Reply to Thread