+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hey hax(or someone else)

Hey hax(or someone else)

I want to upgrade my PC and I don't need a new monitor. Where is the cheapest and most reliable? Is it going to be at dell(about 350$ was the cheapest I could see there without a monitor). Or should I look somewhere else.

I was trying to set up a network and connect my pc to the other one here that has a cable modem. I hooked it all up through the router and ran all the setup programs(I think), but my internet connections wizard says that it won't open, so I can't access the internet. Can you think of anything? If it worked I really wouldn't need a new PC, but since I am pissed that it hasn't worked yet I am in the mood to replace my old one(I have had it since 98, but it still works good).

Anyways, all help is appreciated.
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

Did you check the cable? Is it just the internet, or can you not connect to the other PC at all?
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

did you use a cross over cable between the two PC's or are you using a hub/switch?

I can search the other computer with my computer, so they are linked. The buttons all light up on both the router and the ethernet card.

To Hax's question, I just hooked up a cable from the router to my CPU. Not really sure what your question means.

does the internet connection go into the other computer or the router?

there we go, just right. keep walking...

I run the internet into the modem, then into the router, then from the router into both computers.

alright, maybe this will help...

I am about to access the internet and then a password box comes up and asks me for my network name/password. I don't know the answer to either question, how do I find out what they are?

on the comuter with the issue, have you ever run the internet connection wizard? I would try running this again.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmeister
    on the comuter with the issue, have you ever run the internet connection wizard? I would try running this again.
    As I said above the internet connection wizard isn't allowed to run for some reason. I try running it and it says that it wont run.

What OS is this that has the problem?

Technically I asked had you *ever* run the wizard (I saw that it wouldn't run now), but I suppose that's splitting hairs. From the commandline, what is the output you get when you run the ipconfig command. Specifically: ipconfig /all

(if you are on a windows version prior to win2k, it's probably ipcfg instead, and at that point you should really just get a new computer )

What OS is this that has the problem?

Technically I asked had you *ever* run the wizard (I saw that it wouldn't run now), but I suppose that's splitting hairs. From the commandline, what is the output you get when you run the ipconfig command. Specifically: ipconfig /all

(if you are on a windows version prior to win2k, it's probably ipcfg instead, and at that point you should really just get a new computer )

It is windows 98. I know, I need to get a new computer... And sorry about being a little snotty in my reply, you were right, I was just in a bad mood and turning my anger into a post, I apologize.

OK, I am dumb, where do I type ipcfg? Do I type that into Run(for run program)? Or is the commandline in dos, or something else? I am not the most computer literate, as you have likely gathered by now.

Thanks for the help so far.

If you had a Mac, you'd be surfing by now.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by justafan
    It is windows 98. I know, I need to get a new computer... And sorry about being a little snotty in my reply, you were right, I was just in a bad mood and turning my anger into a post, I apologize.

OK, I am dumb, where do I type ipcfg? Do I type that into Run(for run program)? Or is the commandline in dos, or something else? I am not the most computer literate, as you have likely gathered by now.

Thanks for the help so far.
    To make it easy for you,
    Click START
    Click Run
    in the text box type COMMAND (and the press Enter or click OK)

<you will now get a window running DOS with a command line prompt>
    type IPCONFIG /ALL (and then press Enter)

All the stuff that is on the screen - type it into a message here.

To make the window with DOS go away,
    type EXIT (press enter)

Sorry if I dropped to too low a level, just wanted to make sure you were off in the right direction...
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D
    If you had a Mac, you'd be surfing by now.
    or never had the problem in thefirst place
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

or wondering why you can't figure out where anything is and why the hell you can't right click

"that's pretty deep stuff. that's not, 'yo yo yippy yo yo bling bling, smack a bitch.'"
    "when i eat chicken nuggets....they don't look like they're in pain...but i believe that they were.."

Quote Originally Posted by Terrick
    or wondering why you can't figure out where anything is and why the hell you can't right click
    HAH! I just got my 70 year old mother her first Mac, the bottom of the line iBook, after building and buying her PCs and running never ending tech support for her for YEARS! She wanted ANOTHER PC because the 4th one that she has had is now obsolete and ridiculously unstable, just like the previous 3 eventually got. I told her NO, I am OUT of the PC business and will ONLY get her Macs from now on! So, she took one look at the thing and started complaining about how now she has to figure this out and learn how to do that...blah blah blah! I sat with her for 10 minutes and showed her the basics, then told her to just use the damm thing. 2 weeks later, and now she can't wait for the new 20" iMac G5s to start shipping so she can get the top of the line model!

All of you people who hate Macs simply because they're different, your friggin loss! Y'all go ahead and stick with your device managers and your ipconfig/alls and your trojans and viruses, us Mac users will be just fine without ya!

BTW... I notice that PC users who actually BUY a Mac usually seems quite happy with it.

Ehh Eternals, Ether?
    Alright
    Yeah...

I have a dual G5 sitting in my office. It is turned off. (has been for three months)

I also have 2 HP kayaks, two thinkpads, and an HP vectra. They are turned on.

I have a dual G5 sitting in my office. It is turned off. (has been for three months)

I also have 2 HP kayaks, two thinkpads, and an HP vectra. They are turned on.

That's because WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING requires a PC, and is not easily doable on a Mac. It's no different than the fact that WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING requires a Mac, and is not easily doable on a PC. However, I USE both, you do NOT!
    Alright
    Yeah...

BTW... I also have an HP Vectra, as well as about 5 other PCs besides my Pentium 4. They are all laying around in my basement under the stairs, collecting dust.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Not exactly true, Coz. What I do for a living requires all the platforms. The vectra is running Red Hat Linux, the kayaks are running win2k, the thinkpads are running xp pro, and the Mac is running 10.3.9 (we have two tiger server's in the lab, along with Solaris 7, 8, 9, and 10, some AIX boxes, other flavors of Linux (Turbo Linux, SuSE, RedHat AES 2 and 3, probably some other too)). I have to make sure the stuff we do runs on *all* of them, not just the PC. The installer (which I write) must run on all of these platforms, and run flawlessly. ColdFusion itself has to worry not only about the OS it runs on, but what App server is running it too (JRun, WebShpere, WebLogic, JBoss, Tomcat, etc.) That's a *huge* matrix of OS x App server combination. So saying that I don't use them as part of my work is untrue. They (unfortunately) are my work.

That being said, I *totally* prefer the PC as a development platform. Almost any of the top of the line IDE's I have found for a PC is better than XCode (although, in it's favor, XCode is one of the better ones for a Mac, but it has no where near the functionality of the PC IDE's). I've been working with Eclipse for a while, and the Mac version of Eclipse is better than the windows version too (more stable). And when I say working with Eclipse, I mean writing plugins for it.

+ Reply to Thread