+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Music now-a-days

Music now-a-days

damn there is a plethora of good music videos these days on TV.

The new Madona joint is off any hook ever hung up on! Damn, that song is too good.

The new Shakira joint is more cute then bunnies running through fields of amber in the spring time.

The new Lindsay Lohan song(don't act like you don't feel it) is off the chains as well. Although its never on air during the wee hours of the morning(the only time music videos consistently play - as if this makes sense VH1 and MTV?).

That 36 mafia song is catchy as hell.

The greenday song is amazing.

The Pussycat dolls song is alright, really catchy although repulsive at the same time for what it stands for.

I love another song, its on BET's countdown... The Jamaican or African Group (4, 5 guys) that sing an awesome melody(when you cry, I cry... I cry along with you...). It was 10 on the countdown yesterday, #6 a few days ago. That song is amazing too. I just found it, it's called Footprints, by TOK - a must listen too, absolutely transcendent.

Has anyone else noticed the seemingly goldmine of good songs out there now? Maybe it is just me, but the quality is good music on TV is sky high. Biggest disappointment right now is Gwen Stefani's song, it sucks. First taking Biggie's song could be good, but not slowing it down to a halt, blah, I expect more from her.

Plus my favorite two artists could have new joints out on the airwaves, but I will not complain in a time of musical abundance like this. Happy hunting.
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

i like gwens current one.. probably cause i dont know the original!
    agreed on the dolls.. catchy beat but they seem stupid and probably had very little to do with the catchyness of the song...

shakira and lohan i havent heard yet.. the thought of lohan scares me after her first song..
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

actually while mentioning gwen.... something sickens me about her bit in pharrells new one... its gwen stefani yet she is like a mindless fembot with a subservient sounding line, repeated over and over....

just got the biggie one .. Hell , see what you meant... stefani had some nice lyrics to her credit..
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

ok what did i miss? gwen redid one of biggie's songs? please inform me.

aside from that, I must be getting old. I can't get into 95% of new music now-a-days. Wow, an old man by the age of 30, muttering to himself that they just don't write 'em like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by justafan

The new Madona joint is off any hook ever hung up on! Damn, that song is too good.
    Haven't heard it yet, but then I haven't liked much of anything Madonna's done since Vogue.

The new Shakira joint is more cute then bunnies running through fields of amber in the spring time.
    um, no.

The new Lindsay Lohan song(don't act like you don't feel it) is off the chains as well.
    Good lord. As the stepfather on a 13 year old girl, I hear this song about 80 times a day through the wall. Please kill me.

That 36 mafia song is catchy as hell.
    I begin to wonder if your whole post was sarcasm. 3-6? are you out your mind? I don't feel them now, and I didn't like them much when they were called "tear da club up thugz" either.

The greenday song is amazing.
    It's ok, but I'm already sick of it. Why does radio and tv take even a halfway decent song and ruin it by playing it 1000 times a day? Never mind, that's rhetorical. And the pussycat dolls should not be allowed near a recording studio, ever.

Has anyone else noticed the seemingly goldmine of good songs out there now?
    I don't even much know, brother. New artists suck, most of them seem designed to be as sugar coated and non-threatening as possible. Just ask sdldawn, he posts here all the time about the latest boring music. I'm not attacking you, Sdl, but the last 2 years or so I would be a very rich man if there were some way to place bets on what boring ass, sleep inducing album you'd be posting about next here or at p.org . And if it's not the ongoing whitewashing of popular music, it's all dumbed down, or more cookie cutter than ever. And will somebody in the industry wake up and realize that at least 50% of todays hip hop does not belong on radio or mtv? This is not a quality assessment - the point is the songs don't make any fucking sense with half the words missing! I mean, yes you can fill in the words yourself, but it doesn't really make for good listening. It annoys the fuck out of me. It's not just new artists either, just about everybody sucks now: sonic youth, ani difranco, beastie boys, icp, sheryl crow, spin doctors, prince, the cure, twiztid, aphex twin, garbage, eminem, howling diablos, jane's addiction, jewel, juliana hatfield, krs-one, lenny kravitz, nine inch nails, sophie b. hawkins and the white stripes have all put out really, really shitty albums lately. and if i have to hear or see the black eyed peas just one more goddamn time i'm going to kill everybody in the room!

<end rant>
    Keep your headphones on.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by samedeepwaterasyou
    ...and if i have to hear or see the black eyed peas just one more goddamn time i'm going to kill everybody in the room!<end rant>
    <duck> I like some of the Black Eyed Peas - I have the Elephunk and Monkey Business CDs. I am not that fond of the Humps song that is getting a lot of play, but I think there are a few goodies on the two CDs. Some of it is a bit candy coated, but I like that as well as deeper stuff.

I do know what you mean about the lyrics being cut out. Personally, for me, it is a major distraction when you release a song and have to have every 2nd to 3rd word cut out because all you can seem to write are curse words and blatent sexually descriptive phrases. I don't have much respect for people passing them selves off as artists just because someone (else, probably) put a beat to their latest ranting of crap. I am not a prude, I just don't find fun in listening to chopped lyrics. I liked what 2LiveCrew used to do - one album for the airwaves, one album for the home player. Now that I am married and have kids, I can't play it in the house, but whatever...I still have headphones.

I don't think today is much different from the past few years. If I find an artist's album where I like more than 2-3 songs, then they seem above average. Less and less do I find an artist where I like over half of their albums. Maybe it looks timecyclic, but I think it is just by artist. Now and then you have artists that float to the top that can really do good things and are allowed to do it. I grew up listening to Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, etc (all from my flower-child mother) and I can't find many songs that don't like in there. To me, PM Dawn is in that same class - hard to find a song you don't like...

Of course, gettimg married and having little girls has changed me a lot. Yesteryear I would have seen half these girls in the videos and would have been saying "yeah, baby! shake it!, check out those..." But now they just look like sluts and I fear their influence on little girls. Is it me, or do the videos seem more slutty than the 80s?
    Last edited by pmFan; 11-16-2005 at 08:09 AM.
    Peace

im "old" im not required to listen to new music anymore. Plus i gave up on it
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

i liked black eyed peas in the pre-fergie era,as for sdls recommendations.. a lot of the artists im not familiar with but i do agree with the george michael review..like that album... prince, big fan, still think current music is good.. its just that the genres it falls into arent terribly jumpin, rainbow children and N.E.W.S

this week i played the 1st cd i ever bought , crash test dummies-god shuffled his feet.. love it.. coincedentally if any fans of em are here.. which is the next best album to buy after this one??????
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

shame robin and barry gibb arent talking... there .. i said it
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by eternals layre
    im "old" im not required to listen to new music anymore. Plus i gave up on it
    Yeah yeah, what he said.
    I love the summer months!

Shit. Well, I think that makes me old too...

Or finicky...most of the new stuff is crap. Ok, take Madonna's new album. WTF on the lyrics?! When will she figure out she's a performer not a writer? Ok, her old stuff, which I still love and listen to, was pop BS, but at least the words were doable. I could sing along to them (still do) without feeling like I lost IQ points in the process.

I'm also tired of everybody singing about the same damn crap. Their ho's, their money, their drugs, their freak on...at least figure out a creative way to do it. I was listening to Jamiroquai's "Cosmic Girl" the other day (for the upteenth time), and I realized how hilariously creative the lyrics are. I want to hear words put together that I don't totally expect. i want to hear some fucking poetry. That's why I got into PM Dawn, cause I can just read their lyrics without even the music and be satisfied with the beauty!

And the worst moment was when I was listening to Theater of Tragedy's "A Distance There Is" and realized that some scandenavians for whom English is like their fifth language can out-lyricize most American-born artists. That Shyte is beyond sad.

The last artists I got excited about were Anny Celsi (Her songs are like stories), Hem, and the Be Good Tanyas. But they're all country/folk artists, which is maybe why they still give a rat's ass. I don't know.

Harumph.
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by ETHERSPIN
    this week i played the 1st cd i ever bought , crash test dummies-god shuffled his feet.. love it.. coincedentally if any fans of em are here.. which is the next best album to buy after this one??????
    DUDE! I just pulled out the 3 CDs I have from them just a few weeks ago! I like the CD The Ghosts That Haunt Me as well as God Shuffled His Feet. Most of A Worm's Life was dark, slow, and crappy - some songs were OK. I never got anything else from them. I saw them live in Chicago and they sucked. The opening band (October Project) got a better review in the Chicago Times. It was not the first time the opener outshined CTD, so they dropped OP from the tour. BTW, OP was Excellent! You might like them. They broke up after only 3 years, but their 2 CDs were awesome!
    Peace

i think theres tons and tons and tons of good music out there, none of its on the radio though heh (i havent heard any of the songs mentioned in this post even haha). but i do gotta admit most of the albums i buy are 10-30 years old. i think the only new artist ive gotten into in a while is a canadian band the birthday massacre.

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan
    DUDE! I just pulled out the 3 CDs I have from them just a few weeks ago! I like the CD The Ghosts That Haunt Me as well as God Shuffled His Feet. Most of A Worm's Life was dark, slow, and crappy - some songs were OK. I never got anything else from them. I saw them live in Chicago and they sucked. The opening band (October Project) got a better review in the Chicago Times. It was not the first time the opener outshined CTD, so they dropped OP from the tour. BTW, OP was Excellent! You might like them. They broke up after only 3 years, but their 2 CDs were awesome!
    downloading songs from each to see which to get..
    Man what the hell happened ? it seems like de-evolution you said ghosts that haunt me and the only song ive got from that is superman song which is great and that was the first album followed by god shuffled his feet which i love all the way through great writing and rich music throughout.. but i listened to all of puss n boots and it was just cynical sounding... no warmth, just trying to be hip or something.. the whole vibe was horrible... and the same for all the in between album parts ive heard but the one released this september sounds good so far..........
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by ETHERSPIN
    downloading songs from each to see which to get..
    Man what the hell happened ? it seems like de-evolution you said ghosts that haunt me and the only song ive got from that is superman song which is great and that was the first album followed by god shuffled his feet which i love all the way through great writing and rich music throughout.. but i listened to all of puss n boots and it was just cynical sounding... no warmth, just trying to be hip or something.. the whole vibe was horrible... and the same for all the in between album parts ive heard but the one released this september sounds good so far..........
    heh heh - yeah, it's like those meth addicts - they go downhill fast!
    Peace

errrr... relistening to "Swimming in your ocean" now as opposed to being 13 years old.. that song is raunchier than i was aware of and i wonder what my parents thought of me singing along with my discman on car trips.....
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

damn there is a plethora of good music videos these days on TV.

The new Madona joint is off any hook ever hung up on! Damn, that song is too good. .

My boyfriend, who takes no interest in Madonna whatsoever, actually woke me up (very brave) to watch that video.

The new Shakira joint is more cute then bunnies running through fields of amber in the spring time. .

I love anything Shakira has ever done. I like La Tortura too. Especially since Alejandro Sans is so sexy. Que rico!

The new Lindsay Lohan song(don't act like you don't feel it) is off the chains as well. Although its never on air during the wee hours of the morning(the only time music videos consistently play - as if this makes sense VH1 and MTV?)..

I can't lie, the Rumors song caught my ear for a minute. I've yet to hear the new one.

That 36 mafia song is catchy as hell..

I actually got a bootleg of that cd for that song. Especially since Trick Daddy is on the remix. That's my boy!

The greenday song is amazing..

Greenday seem to be on some earthly vibe-trip right now. Incredible.

The Pussycat dolls song is alright, really catchy although repulsive at the same time for what it stands for..

I love the continuous background keyboard flow. Kind of Rick James-ish. Think: Mary Jane girls' "My House". The african-aphrodisiac-bass-drum boom is captivating.

I love another song, its on BET's countdown... The Jamaican or African Group (4, 5 guys) that sing an awesome melody(when you cry, I cry... I cry along with you...). It was 10 on the countdown yesterday, #6 a few days ago. That song is amazing too. I just found it, it's called Footprints, by TOK - a must listen too, absolutely transcendent..

I only like that song when I'm 3-sheets and in the dancehall.

Has anyone else noticed the seemingly goldmine of good songs out there now? Maybe it is just me, but the quality is good music on TV is sky high. Biggest disappointment right now is Gwen Stefani's song, it sucks. First taking Biggie's song could be good, but not slowing it down to a halt, blah, I expect more from her..

Please, canwenevertalkaboutthisoneagain. I have loved her since 1996 (or '97?), when Tragic Kingdom came out. Then, later that year, I saw her in concert and the deal was sealed. So, let's just nevertalkaboutthisoneagain.

Plus my favorite two artists could have new joints out on the airwaves, but I will not complain in a time of musical abundance like this. Happy hunting.

Who? I'm too lazy today to read the rest of this thread and see if you name them.
    Last edited by wendyful04; 11-17-2005 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M
    Shit. Well, I think that makes me old too...

I'm also tired of everybody singing about the same damn crap. Their ho's, their money, their drugs, their freak on...at least figure out a creative way to do it. I was listening to Jamiroquai's "Cosmic Girl" the other day (for the upteenth time), and I realized how hilariously creative the lyrics are. I want to hear words put together that I don't totally expect. i want to hear some fucking poetry. That's why I got into PM Dawn, cause I can just read their lyrics without even the music and be satisfied with the beauty!

Harumph.

I love Jamiroquai's "Canned Heat". That is one of my top 5 favorite songs to dance to. When I saw Napoleon Dynamite dance to it, I was jumping for joy! He dances like I do when I'm all alone or I just not in the mood to give a shyte who's watching. Of course, I never do that in public but if one were to glance into my windows, they might see a maniac doing something ridiculous to that song.

Mistress, you're not old. You're just (rightfully) critical of the plethora of crap being leaked out into the universe.

(Now I have to look up "plethora" and see if I used it correctly.)

You also wrote "shit" instead of "shyte".............I'm telling.
    Last edited by wendyful04; 11-17-2005 at 12:15 PM.

Ok, I think I'm officially trying to hijack this post. (I'm still not quite sure what that means)

I have to mention one of the most commited, brave (she quit Elektra and started her own label, Tigress...... Plus, she often tours alone with just her acoustic guitar), and incredible artists I have come across.

Her first cd, "Blame It On Me" came out in 1997 and since then she's come out with 2 more (1 on her own label). She's got a voice that you either love or hate and her guitar-playing comes from something beyond her. An outside force, if you will.

If you are lucky enough to feel her vibe, then just go with it. It changed me and made me happier about being a girl (woman) in the world. About being in the world, period.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...music&v=glance

If you're interested and like it deep and subtle, check out "Blame It On Me".

If you like to be a bit more entertained (think:Neptunes production on a song or two), give "Fortune Cookies" a preview.

If you want to hear her latest and most non-radio-friendly cd, try "Surrender Dorothy"
    Last edited by wendyful04; 11-17-2005 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan
    The opening band (October Project) got a better review in the Chicago Times. It was not the first time the opener outshined CTD, so they dropped OP from the tour. BTW, OP was Excellent! You might like them. They broke up after only 3 years, but their 2 CDs were awesome!
    October Project is amazing. And Mary Fahl's voice is amazing. "return to me" is one hell of a love song.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendyful04
    You also wrote "shit" instead of "shyte".............I'm telling.
    Oh, my bad. I forgot that if I put a "y" and an "e" then it became an unbreakable code that would not corrupt the youth. Shit is just crass, but shyte is artistic like a black motherfu*king turtleneck...

oops! i did it again! speaking of bullSHYTE lyrics...

But at least I put the asterick in motherfu*king...again, so no underage kids reading this post will understand what the f*ck I'm saying. Lord knows, they never saw that SHYTE scrawled on the back of the bus, the side of every building, or on the porn sites their parents visit on the web.

But if Hax wants to wash my mouth out with soap, I prefer Ivory. It has a nice, clean taste. And it's 99.44...like the really good SHYTE I'm smoking right now...yeeeaaahhh baby!

(And Wendy, I know you just wanted an excuse to retype it yourself...ummhmmm...you know you're sick of perverting a perfectly good curse word with bad spelling...come over to the dark side, baby!)
    “Sometimes we just need someone to show us something we can’t see for ourselves.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress M
    October Project is amazing. And Mary Fahl's voice is amazing. "return to me" is one hell of a love song.

Oh, my bad. I forgot that if I put a "y" and an "e" then it became an unbreakable code that would not corrupt the youth. Shit is just crass, but shyte is artistic like a black motherfu*king turtleneck...

oops! i did it again! speaking of bullSHYTE lyrics...

But at least I put the asterick in motherfu*king...again, so no underage kids reading this post will understand what the f*ck I'm saying. Lord knows, they never saw that SHYTE scrawled on the back of the bus, the side of every building, or on the porn sites their parents visit on the web.

But if Hax wants to wash my mouth out with soap, I prefer Ivory. It has a nice, clean taste. And it's 99.44...like the really good SHYTE I'm smoking right now...yeeeaaahhh baby!

(And Wendy, I know you just wanted an excuse to retype it yourself...ummhmmm...you know you're sick of perverting a perfectly good curse word with bad spelling...come over to the dark side, baby!)
    We need a chatroom again, desperately bad.

I'm still telling.

and I'm recommending liquid soap for you

+ Reply to Thread