+ Reply to Thread

Thread: man that's some bullshit re: active user count

I've got that on vinyl. DJ Detroit Butcher's Avatar

man that's some bullshit re: active user count

i logged on here and saw that there were 12 people viewing leisure world, so i'm like "hell yeah" ... then i look and 10 of those are google spiders. dammit.
    Keep your headphones on.

Intelligent Posts :11

lol....

Barney Freakin' Rubble

HA! I never thought to look... I just thought we were busy with no one wanting to chat sometimes... Damn spiders! Let's start a Raid thread and see if that stops them!

Wtcrap is a google spider?
    It sounds like a mesh condom.

a program by the google search engine that accesses the site to gain data about it i think.. no doubt someone smarter will jump in with a better explanation
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

In order for a search engine to allow users to search the web, it first has to know what is out there.

The easiest way to find out right now is to write a script that surfs the web. The code for a script like this is pretty simple:

- You point it at some random starting page
    - If the page isn't already in the database (or is out of date), it indexes the page and updates the database
    - Then it picks a link or two from the page and follows them.
    - It is now at some other random page and the process starts all over again.

These scripts used to be called crawlers (or webcrawlers)... now I guess the term "spider" is being used more often.

A friend of mine managed to "trap" a Google spider on their web site once... it managed to find its way into a spot on his site that had circular internal links but no external links, and since his site is generated on the fly from scripts the spider thought it was always seeing new material. It was trapped for several days.

I have noticed that Google sends out a LOT more spiders than anyone else does. I guess that's why their database is always so current.

Is it really a random starting page? Wouldn't they want to 'point it' at starting pages that are known to be affiliated with the topics that are the most-often quieried about by their users, not just some random pages?

I guess that's why Google is so well-rounded and why just about anything can be found through that search engine.

Look at me, trying to pretend I understand all of this! It's fascinating how detailed and planned-out the Internet has become.

+ Reply to Thread