+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question...

Don't Disturb this Groove

Question...

Question:
    What is the proper way to ask a person how tall they are when they are a double amputee?

I've run into this more often than I would have liked to, and I dont want to offend anyone. Do I ask how tall they were? How tall they are now? Avoid the question all together?

sounds like a no go to be honest.. cause how tall they are now is probably not what you want to know anyway and if you ask how tall they were ... could piss em off if they enjoyed being that tall.. hmm
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Barney Freakin' Rubble

I agree - it would be like "How tall were would you be now?" If that doesn't piss them off enough, you could follow it up with "And do you miss your legs?" I would probably avoid it. Why do you want to know, anyway?

and dont do the no leg to stand on/no legged man in ass kicking contest/get a leg up/jokes...as they will be violent!
    the vibe says syxx so let it be syxx......

if they get pissed off anyway you could prob'ly outrun them.

aaw $h17 kharma's gonna kick my a$$ someday. . .

Intelligent Posts :11

im sorry...but why does this question just make me laugh?.....i know im incensitive, but damn...that would be a great saturday night live sketch..roflmao

Don't Disturb this Groove

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan
    Why do you want to know, anyway?
    I'm a nurse pm, an I have to ask as part of the admission questions. Many times pharmacy does our medication dosing, and it can be based on weight and height. I've had 2 double amputee patients in the last week, and luckily this question had already been asked for me, but I'd at least like to know what to say.

Intelligent Posts :11

another question is though..what if it was a guy? do you measure from the dangle or what?

In that case... im sure someone on the net has a page about this very same problem...you might have luck searchin for it .. im not sure
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

madtv i dont know that any one watches snl

yea funny question
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    another question is though..what if it was a guy? do you measure from the dangle or what?
    Ummm.....dangle?
    I love the summer months!

Barney Freakin' Rubble

Quote Originally Posted by Is*it*my*turn
    I'm a nurse pm, an I have to ask as part of the admission questions. Many times pharmacy does our medication dosing, and it can be based on weight and height. I've had 2 double amputee patients in the last week, and luckily this question had already been asked for me, but I'd at least like to know what to say.
    OK, now I understand. And now you've answered my unasked question of "and how are you running into so many amputees?"

Actually, I would question the drug comany's use of height in the dosage calculation. They are most likely assuming factors that include the muscle mass of portions of the body. Take the same man whole, no legs, no arma, and no arms and legs. 4 configurations with 2 different heights and 4 different weights. How accurate do you suppose they are? Also, take a double amputee that weighs about the same as a (fat) midget or dwarf of the same actual height. Same weight and same height would probably indicate the same dosage, but wouldn't really have a verry different effect?

Also, if you were to get the height they *used* to be or *would* be with their legs and put it with their current weight, it would make them appear to have less mass in their upper body than they currently do. The legs are typically more muscular and the upper body more fatty (for males).

Just some thoughts...

As for the question you would be asking, I would preface with the reason and turn the questions into statements:

"For dosage purposes, I need your height..." [answer] "And you weight..."

i think you're on to something pmFan , the difference would be substantial between an amputee and a person of the same height as that because the ratio of torso to extremities/limbs is far different and so.. i guess. the speed of absorption into the blood?
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by pmFan
    I agree - it would be like "How tall were would you be now?" If that doesn't piss them off enough, you could follow it up with "And do you miss your legs?" I would probably avoid it. Why do you want to know, anyway?

hahaha!!!

I ain't your sucka baby.. The_Kay_Dee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Is*it*my*turn
    The kindest wayto ask an amputee thier height is to JUST ASK!
    They are people too. Just look them in the eye so they know you are serious, and say "Height?" If thats isn't o.k. with ya, ask larry...
    amputee?
    A man is where he loves, not where he lives....

+ Reply to Thread