+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NBC Forum full of ig'nant fools! BUT I got ya back PMDawn!

NBC Forum full of ig'nant fools! BUT I got ya back PMDawn!

somebody asked if anyone posted up in the NBC forums regarding the Hit Me Baby appearance of PMDawn.
    Normally I lurk, but I JUST COULD NOT STAND THE IG'NANT H8TERS posting to that board.

"who the hell is PMDawn"
    "PMDawn sucked" etc.

So I had to post this thread:
    http://boards.nbc.com/bb/showflat.ph...c=1&PHPSESSID=

Yeah, I'm "Zartan" on that board (I didn't want to use my reg screenname of "rEVOLVE" in case the jerks on that board wanted to flame - and I use rEVOLVE on just about every other board I sub to).

I was glad to see that there were a few kindred souls that wanted to voice support for my heroes PMDawn that contributed to that thread.

Here's the text of my post to that board

in case yer too lazy to follow the link

Just for background, I grew up in the 80's/Breakfast Club generation and nostalgia abounds when I hear tunes from that era. I've probably collected an 80's audio collection that could rival most others and unlike some - my taste encompasses more than one genre. I loved watching MTV Headbanger's Ball to YO! MTV Raps and all the new-wave, synth-pop, modern-rock videos in between. I lamented MTV's conversion into the "real-world/road-rules -What music videos? channel".

In regards to PMDawn's sampling of TRUE from Spandau Ballet, I would not heap them into the majority of music sample/rip-offs from certain hiphop "artists" who merely jack a beat/riff and loop it under their lyrics.
    Think of the sample here as one of the instruments used to make a new song. It is inspired by, yet creatively evolved from the original. "Baby you send me. . .Set adrift on memory bliss of you!" is different than : "You know this, much is, TRUE!!!"

Also I'm sure many of you know that the creators of many of rock's great classics have admitted to "borrowing" from other great songs to produce some of their hits. The sweet thing about these guys is that they're not limited to "remakes" and actually have great original material if you take the time to listen.

Many will lump PMDawn with other "rap" just because they see bouncing black guys shouting "YO!" into Mics. But if you ever actually LISTENED to their songwriting/lyrics, you'd realize they actually write compelling, beautiful, enjoyable MUSIC and actually SING as much as they rap. It's actually very hard to nail them down to the "rap" category because they are so much more.

I guess at some point someone called them "hippie-hop" and maybe that fits them more than anything else. They've been disowned by the hiphop community in general because of their insistance on making songs about love and enlightenment and peace - not rims, or gold chains, or smoking weed. It's no wonder the church people like them so much -it's probably the only music that celebrates Christian values without sounding like propoganda. I'm not what you'd call religious, but their music has spritually nurturing aspects without being too goody-goody.

Unfortunately those who've never heard the gems hidden behind their more radio-rotated hits can only judge by what they heard (or in the case of some of these other posters, what they ASSUME)

As a writer of verse, they are one of the few music groups that I get as much enjoyment and inspiration listening to their lyrics as with their melodies. Shoot, it's poetry you can dance to - lyrics you can lose and then find yourself with.

But some black guys rapping about peace signs and love? Where's the street cred in that, yo?

And that's why popular society and record labels didn't know what to do with them - since they focused on "categorizing" instead of "enjoying".

I LOVED their cover of "blurry" tonight and would buy it if it was released. As much as I enjoyed the other groups (the first songs are all favorites of mine) I really don't care who won. In the end, it was nice to have the nostalgic trip and know the present status of these great groups.

My main sadness is seeing the obvious health issues that Prince Be has to contend with and also that their release of new music is slowed and maybe ending.

If you can open your mind enough, treat yourself to a listen of some of PMDawn's past albums - I guarantee you'll be a better person

no matter who wins someone is going to bitch about it...it's life, and life is full of crybabies

yeah, I followed up by saying maybe less people would "b1tch" and more people would "enjoy" if it was presented as a showcase instead of a "nostalgic american idol" type of competition.

most of us here spare the hating and in place of it keep an open mind.

revolve the people who enjoyed pm dawns performance and thought they should have won(the majority im sure) arnt gonna spend their time logging on to nbcs forum and posting abt it.. its just the small minority that wanna bitch on the internet..i choose to ignore it.. but kudos for having be and JCs back anyway
    I've got amnesia.. I can't remember..

"and now they know anything can happen!" - APlus

heheh - just thought of that when I saw your name. . .(Heiro!!! 'nuther bunch of my favorites)

Quote Originally Posted by rEVOLVE

heheh - just thought of that when I saw your name. . .(Heiro!!! 'nuther bunch of my favorites)

hoo shit its another hiero and pm dawn fan

"Let's get her, an' break off all her fingers wit some pliers(Nah, that's
    ill)"

somebody asked if anyone posted up in the NBC forums regarding the Hit Me Baby appearance of PMDawn.
    Normally I lurk, but I JUST COULD NOT STAND THE IG'NANT H8TERS posting to that board.

"who the hell is PMDawn"
    "PMDawn sucked" etc.

So I had to post this thread:
    http://boards.nbc.com/bb/showflat.ph...c=1&PHPSESSID=

Yeah, I'm "Zartan" on that board (I didn't want to use my reg screenname of "rEVOLVE" in case the jerks on that board wanted to flame - and I use rEVOLVE on just about every other board I sub to).

I was glad to see that there were a few kindred souls that wanted to voice support for my heroes PMDawn that contributed to that thread.
    Hey there Zartan. I totally appreciated your post. Personally thought even if people post crap, it doesn't hurt to have a positive post in there too.

Sometimes ignorance is just they plain don't know any better. Thanks for putting your two cents in there and hopefully opening up some minds. Better to err on the side of love than repeat the Devil's lies. u did it! wtg
    cool, musi1clover
    The Father's letter is for you. His ways are higher than ours. It takes time to grow a seed and bear good fruit. Rebuke the devourer. The battle is the Lord's and He will be victorious.

If that makes me crazy then that's okay.
    Reverence for the Father and his instructions outweighs all else.
    In all directions, love one another give us grace for agreement with Your will.
    Leaving all else behind us.
    I love you God; show me the real truth not idols.
    Pleading the blood on life and the world all over.
    so be it.

LOL!!! I bet you believe in horsedogs too!
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo D
    LOL!!! I bet you believe in horsedogs too!
    now thats just blatant horsedogizm!

Quote Originally Posted by HieroHero
    now thats just blatant horsedogizm!
    Yes, yes, it's true, it's true...I'm a horsedogist.
    Alright
    Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by HieroHero
    hoo shit its another hiero and pm dawn fan

"Let's get her, an' break off all her fingers wit some pliers(Nah, that's
    ill)"

Yeah, to me the 90's were sort of a Golden Age of hiphop (not referring to/but also not dismissing the DrDre G-Rap of course). So among Del, Souls, Casual, De La Soul, Pharcyde, Tribe, LONS, Digable Planets, and so many more - I probably listen to those more than much of the overproduced yet unfufilling content being put out today as "hiphop".

Although since I've lived in the Bay Area for most of my life, I always will have fond memories of Heiro shows.

I remember the only PMDawn show I've been to was at the Great America theme park and Pharcyde opened up for them! They both blew it up that day!

As for Horsedogs: I'm sad to inform you all that I ate the last of this endangered, mythical species. You see, I could not help myself - the sinewy, gamey texture of horsemeat in the smaller-serving size of a dog was just too much to pass up. I split it with my buddy Buck65 - he's a centaur.

sing my theme song:

"half -shark, alligator, half-man!
    half-man, half-shark!" (repeat chorus)

I'm the same man half my records are from 93 pharcyde souls de la tribe latifah etc etc

Yeah, to me the 90's were sort of a Golden Age of hiphop (not referring to/but also not dismissing the DrDre G-Rap of course). So among Del, Souls, Casual, De La Soul, Pharcyde, Tribe, LONS, Digable Planets, and so many more - I probably listen to those more than much of the overproduced yet unfufilling content being put out today as "hiphop".

Although since I've lived in the Bay Area for most of my life, I always will have fond memories of Heiro shows.

I remember the only PMDawn show I've been to was at the Great America theme park and Pharcyde opened up for them! They both blew it up that day!

As for Horsedogs: I'm sad to inform you all that I ate the last of this endangered, mythical species. You see, I could not help myself - the sinewy, gamey texture of horsemeat in the smaller-serving size of a dog was just too much to pass up. I split it with my buddy Buck65 - he's a centaur.

sing my theme song:

"half -shark, alligator, half-man!
    half-man, half-shark!" (repeat chorus)
    Yeah, you'll do just fine!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Intelligent Posts :11

bwhahahahahahahaha....i like him.....

a regular Kool Keith on our hands...

i didnt think it was possible to respond to a horse dog reference straight off the bat..but he did it!

aw shucks. . . (looks down w/ hands in pockets)

I didn't catch this earlier but :
    humanity_Sin_egma@here = musi1clover@nbcforums?
    If so then cool, haha - look forward to talking to you all about PMDawn & music in general.

(wanders away to explore the other rooms, pausing to hack up a horsedog- colored hairball)

in case yer too lazy to follow the link
    In regards to PMDawn's sampling of TRUE from Spandau Ballet, I would not heap them into the majority of music sample/rip-offs from certain hiphop "artists" who merely jack a beat/riff and loop it under their lyrics.
    Think of the sample here as one of the instruments used to make a new song. It is inspired by, yet creatively evolved from the original. "Baby you send me. . .Set adrift on memory bliss of you!" is different than : "You know this, much is, TRUE!!!"
    I understand what you're saying, but as one who loves PM Dawn, it does seem borrow more from a single track than any other song of theirs that I can think of. Now this isn't Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer, but it's not as subtle as, for example, Downtown Venus's use of Deep Purple's Kentucky Woman (which is so sublte that I think they probably could have done it themselves and never paid a dime in royalties).

Also I'm sure many of you know that the creators of many of rock's great classics have admitted to "borrowing" from other great songs to produce some of their hits.
    For example the Beach Boy's Surfin' USA, which, as I recall, borrows liberally from Chuck Berry's Little Sweet 16 (title may be slightly off). They did give him a credit, but it borrows more from that song than PM Dawnd did from Spandau.

Many will lump PMDawn with other "rap" just because they see bouncing black guys shouting "YO!" into Mics. But if you ever actually LISTENED to their songwriting/lyrics, you'd realize they actually write compelling, beautiful, enjoyable MUSIC and actually SING as much as they rap. It's actually very hard to nail them down to the "rap" category because they are so much more.
    Eh, I think that doing that on the show probably helped them win. It brought a lot of energy to a mellow song and got the crowd into it. And they sing MORE than they rap, and they both sing beautifully.
    Side note: When I was 13, I was quite the Beatles fanatic. Though I don't listen to them like I did then (it was all beatles all the time for 2 years), it did inform much of what I listen to. To me, PM Dawn are this amazing fusion of the Beatles, Prince, The Beach Boys (though that's a guess, because I only know what I've heard on the radio over the years) and I'm sure many soul bands that I'm far to ignorant about to be specific.

I loved how they dropped a Beatle reference on the first album (Baby Your A Richman) Who the hell drops a reference to a Beatles b-side -- an instrumental! -- on a Rap/Hip Hop Album? Album 2 they cover a Beatles classic and I like it (I'm pretty tough on Beatle covers). Next album and stuck in the middle of a bunch of Covers they drop in Blue Jay Way, easilly the most obscure Album track....I mean it's a f***ing instrumental! And then on the last album the basically create a song that could fit right onto Abbey Road. And the incredible thing is that these are just small little bits in these incredible aural experiences.

I guess at some point someone called them "hippie-hop" and maybe that fits them more than anything else. They've been disowned by the hiphop
    Well maybe they're not hiphop, but without hiphop they certainly wouldn't be the same. And frankly, it was PM Dawn that made me appreciate the art of good sampling. I'm not sure how much of each song is created by them vs sampling (I'm talking about instrumental passages), but I have to think that if you're create a song solely out of existing songs, but without using any of those songs as a crutch, then the process of writing is actually harder. Regardless, I found that with the exception of Set Adrift, I never noticed the samples, unless I looked at the credits and then listend closely to find where the sample(s) is.

community in general because of their insistance on making songs about love and enlightenment and peace - not rims, or gold chains, or smoking weed. It's no wonder the church people like them so much -it's probably the only music that celebrates Christian values without sounding like propoganda. I'm not what you'd call religious, but their music has spritually nurturing aspects without being too goody-goody.
    I'm definitley not religious, but I was never put off by the words and often liked them. As you say, it's spiritual without being preachy. That said, U2's been pretty solidly Christian for a long time.....then again, Bono's been might preachy lately

+ Reply to Thread