+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chi-town

Chi-town

I'm gonna be in chicago over the weekend, leaving tomorrow morning. My sister is graduating, so it should be a good little break.

Enjoy StarWars all you lucky enough to see it tonight, I am still unsure whether I have tickets to the midnight show yet.

Scott
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

Have a good trip Scott

I plan to see Ep III on Saturday. DON'T DRINK TOO MUCH!!! I hate to see you tossed out of the graduation party.
    I love the summer months!

this will be a drink free trip, with the family and all. :-)

Intelligent Posts :11

hey justafan, if you run through the Quad Cities on your way there...wave as you go by..

i going to see Star Wars tonight! hooray!

I saw it Wednesday night, at one of those midnight preview showings. I was just gonna wait until the crowds died down, but a friend of mine got some of the advance tickets for a bunch of us. It was a madhouse there; there were 16 screens in the cineplex showing the movie, and all of them were sold out!

Although the tickets were all sold in advance, there were lines to get in the theater that had formed at noon that day, just to get the best seats in the house. I didn't get there until 7:30, so I only had to wait two hours for the doors to open, and there was so much stuff going on (people running around dressed as Star Wars characters, people running around hitting each other with toy lightsabers, and what-not) that the time kind of flew by. Oh, and I made an interesting observation: people dressed as Dark Jedi look exactly like goths, so I suspect that some goths came as themselves, and just bought a lightsaber to complete the look. There was a great vibe in the air; there were thousands of nerds in one place, the whole spectrum of geekdom represented-- and not a soul seemed to care how geeky he or she was perceived to be. I wonder if there's a vibe like that at Fantasy/Sci-Fi conventions like DragonCon... I'm gonna have to go to one and see for myself.

I went in the theater not expecting much; I thought that Eps I and II were lame. However, I watched and caught myself smiling, and then my eyes lit up, and then at one point, I flashed back to 1977: Showcase Cinemas in Louisville, Kentucky. Somehow, I was at that moment able to relive the excitement that I felt when I saw the original Star Wars at five years old! George Lucas did it! He finally did it. It took two false starts to make it here, but Star Wars: Episode III is the movie that I've been waiting for since 1983. I enjoyed Episode III so much, that I no longer regret sitting through Eps I and II, and I hereby formally apologize to George Lucas for badmouthing him for the past six years.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

no joke i was just telling my boyfriend how Ep I & II should have been shortened down to like, an hour or something, and how Ep III redeemed things for me.

that part about the goths coming as themselves...made me laugh out loud.

I'm back. It was good, graduation was graduation... some of you know how that goes...(on and on)

Anyways, Chief, I didn't pass Quad Cities by, but I waved anyways.

I still haven't seen StarWars yet.... so I haven't read any of the posts about it incase of spoilage.

+ Reply to Thread