+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mac Vs PC

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak
    "Outrunning,"; yes, but definitely not "destroying". I've noticed that Mac evangelists have a grand tendency toward the use of hyperbole.
    A Windows PC is going to retain a foothold in the power user market, not by virtue of its own stats, but by virtue of its ubiquity, which drives its pricing lower and lower, and its tinkerability, which makes it interesting for people like me, who like playing with building blocks. PC hardware is so common, that I can build a state-of-the-art system from off-the-shelf parts (with many more bells & whistles) for less than a third of the price that I would pay for a high-end Mac, and as far as processing speed, there just ain't a big enough library of 64-bit native applications out there yet to make the gap in CPU performance all that noticeable.
    I love the elegance of a Mac, but until there comes something that makes pricing comparable, people in general won't be able to justify choosing a Mac over a PC unless they are hip-deep in an industry (like Hollywood or the Graphic Design community) that is dependent on Macs, and thus, there won't be any "destroying" going on.
    But keep spreading the Mac gospel, Coz. One day, thanks to you, people may learn that Macs come with two button mice. Of course, they may say, "...but my PC trackball has five buttons, and a scroll wheel!",
    but, hey-- that's life.
    No, I agree to ALL of that DJ! I am not a Mac evangelist, I use BOTH platforms BY CHOICE, and have ever since DOS 3.x! Frankly, I STILL think my Amiga 500 was pound for pound the dopest computer I ever owned!

All I'm talking is power, speed and stability, THAT is where the destruction is going on...and frankly it can't be denied!

As for the foothold thingy, I DON'T WANT MAC TO WIN THAT!!! All I want is for Mac to continue to prosper, and keep it's little 8% share of the computer market, with it's Mac elitists and snobs. I'll probably always keep a PC to do the few things that are best done on a PC, and hopefully the other 92% will go on believing that Macs only have 1 mouse button and can't multi-task! That way I will continue to not have to worry about putting in any virus protection!

Oh, and my trackball has 4 buttons and a scroll wheel, only because the 8 button model seemed like overkill to me...
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Coz
    Frankly, I STILL think my Amiga 500 was pound for pound the dopest computer I ever owned!
    Yeah!
    That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! I LOVE the Amiga! When they were out, I couldn't afford one of my own, but my main circle of friends happened to all be into Amigas (most of them had 1000s). Shoot, at a time when Macs had two color displays and PCs had eight, Amigas had 4,096, baby! At a time when Macs were silent and PCs had little more than beeps and boops ('cause nobody but the rich kids had SoundBlasters), Amigas were playing high-quality MIDIs and MODs!

Do you remember how amazing those demos from Europe were? I've seen a lot of amazing things on computers since then, but some of that Amiga stuff coulda made my jaw fall off its hinges.

I don't think I would have developed the love of computers I have now, if I had not discovered the Amiga. Of course, maybe I'd be married to a beautiful woman by now, too, but that's neither here nor there.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

Yeah, Amiga was WAY ahead of it's time!
    Alright
    Yeah...

We appreciate your recent Apple Store Order. Due to an unexpected
    supply
    delay, we are unable to ship the following items by the date that you
    were quoted:

The revised estimated time to ship for your order is as follows;

Z0C0, IMAC 20/2.0/SD CTO
    will now ship by 26.05.2005

WHY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

personally , i preferred the input system on my abacus to pc and even amiga , i thought it was way ahead of its time and ill be damned if anyone could engineer a virus for that sweet piece of computing power.....
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Intelligent Posts :11

its called termites tim...

~Martin Luther King Jr.

all the macs and my school have the one button mouse and some of them are rather new. Also when I was doing some statistical analysis on some rocks the computer crashed multiple times, although the software was likely the culprit.

Overall I think that Macs suck, just the interface alone does it too me, plus the one button mouse(although it's been mentioned that has changed).
    fullamyself, sickamyself, truetamyself

I will always be myself - through the good times and the bad.

well, im a mac virgin who used dos,windows and linux since 1995 so ill give you a fresh perspective on an up to date mac if and when my baby arrives!!
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by justafan
    all the macs and my school have the one button mouse and some of them are rather new. Also when I was doing some statistical analysis on some rocks the computer crashed multiple times, although the software was likely the culprit.

Overall I think that Macs suck, just the interface alone does it too me, plus the one button mouse(although it's been mentioned that has changed).
    What the hell Macs do you have at your school? If you don't know the model #s what do they look like? Also, what OS are they running, because though programs may crash if the OS crashed you likely have a hardware problem if it's Panther or later.
    Alright
    Yeah...

The Dual G5 is less than a year old, and it shipped to us with the default mac keyboard (which also drives me nuts) and a mouse that is a button.

Yes, I know you can get different stuff (hence my USB mouse), but by default, coz, that is not what they ship with.

My complaints on a mac are not about asthetic things only, it truly does drive me nuts. The only saving grace (i think) from my point of view is that I can ssh into it from a putty terminal, so I don't have to deal with the OSX UI (which annoys me)

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Well, could be that they changed it for the G5s, which is stupid. I don't have a G5, but the top of the line DP 1.25 G4 that I bought in November came with a 2 button mouse.

You haven't mentioned 1 technical thing yet, layouts of keyboards and mice and UI ARE asthetics. I can understand anybody who's used to 1 thing not liking another because it's not what they're used to or it doesn't work the same.

Since 1998 when the program I used for music, Studio Vision Pro, was discontinued I had refused to go to something else. SVP just was laid out better and made much more sense. Even as the technology got better and the other programs improved I refused to switch. My program was no longer the most powerful and lacked features that all the others had but it still musically made much more sense to me. Even OS X coming out couldn't make me switch, which is why I got a G4 because G5s can't run 9.2.2. Finally, Apple bought the most powerful but most eccentric of the programs, Logic, and made it make sense, so now I've made the switch. However, what kept me from doing it for so long was not the technology, it was asthetics.

Macs are faster, more powerful, and more stable than PCs running Windows right now, which is UNDENIABLE and what this thread was about in the FIRST PLACE!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Mac trucks are cool!

oooh, yeah they are. Except I think it's spelled Mack, not Mac.

no shit dick tracy
    Last edited by Chief; 05-16-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Well, I didn't know if you were joking or it was because you're a red-necked hick who couldn't spell. So I gambled with the latter thinking it was the safest bet.

Lol

ok well.. i got it (Imac G5, 20 inch mon, 250gb hdd, 1gig ram) I was bewildered on the first day because when you install programs it involves less setting up and i was actually worried cause most of it was taken care of , the installation was as simple as downloading programs and dragging the programs icon into the applications section on the mac.. this was the same as everything else it was a bit scary ,, probably something i havent felt since about 1993 when i was getting used to DOS

now im starting to get the hang of everything and its becoming very intuitive and the interface in various programs is very similar..

probably the thing i was most worried about was how hard it would be to set up the internet on here WIRELESSLY.. i plugged in the apple wireless transmitter to the spare plug on the modem which is actually hooked up to the PC then i walked back into the room with the mac.. not looking forward to what i thought would be hours of going backwards and forwards looking in manuals and checking Apple support forums on the PC.. but a new message popped up on the Imac screen.. "Your internet connection appears to be working.." i popped in a web address... bingo .. !150k a second.. im IMPRESSEd
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

im still impressed with tiger Os on the mac .. all the normal stuff i would do on pc is easier and looks nicer.. im getting exponentially more to grips with it each day but still have to figure a lot of things out... havent found a decent dc++ client yet or decent p2p stuff.. but theres lots of them out there so ill try some more....
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

who is on what version of OS x , if you have done any version upgrade at all (not necessarily to tiger) what new features are you digging or not feelin?
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

+ Reply to Thread