+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mac Vs PC

Mac Vs PC

Well well well...looks like this isn't even a contest anymore!

When Win XP came out I had to admit that PCs had finally caught up. XP was stable and excellent at multi-tasking while it was much easier and cheaper to build a Pentium 4 system that was just as fast as the top of the line G4s.

But then, Mac came out with Panther, and Windows got blown away again. Pentiums hit a speed ceiling, while the G4s kept getting faster. Then the G5s came out, blowing away the Pentiums. Now the G5s have gotten faster still, the DP 2.7 Ghz G5 is testing at TWICE the speed of the fastest Pentiums. Now Tiger has been released with features that Microsoft is over a year away from implementing.

And rumours abound about the soon to be released Dual-Core G5s, likely doubling the fastest G5s out now and QUADRUPLING the speed of the fastest Pentiums.

Hax?
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

agree (directly after installing tiger server) mac's are a far better os.
    I installed tiger server on a g3 300 and ran like a dream. try xp or server on a 500p3.

Tiger is swift dashboard is useless the way its used. but spotlight makes up for it
    America needs a Tennessee Volunteer

dont make my brain explode.. i got one week till my 2ghz g5 with tiger arrives and ive never used anything apple newer than 1999
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

you will flip. ITs awsome

I've only had two computers in my life. The first was PC running windows 98... I never gave too much thought to Mac's until I saw the first generation iMac's and just thought they looked slick. I was impressed by how quiet they were and the combo drive was nifty. So I said why not.
    I noticed quickly how easy everything is to do on a Mac. Apple designs both the hardware and the software right? For whatever reason everything is just a lot less complicated. I have the wireless keyboard and mouse which is great for watching DVD's or just the fact that I don't have to be sitting right at the computer. Everything about them is streamlined and intuitive. The Speech recognition is also impressive... I can just say "zoom text" or "move page down" and I instantly feel as if it is actually well past the year 2000. Anyway, Now when I get on a PC I feel like I'm in some technogical wilderness.
    I like Mac's. They are good.

I will say this anything before osx is junk, the equilivent to win 3.1. I had 2 systems one ran 6 one 9.2 never used them much they are useless. osx is the shit nothing on this earth comes close. Im from more a linux/beos background than windows but, I have had my fair share. osx makes linux and beos what it should be

9.2 was superior to Windows 98 in almost every way but multi-tasking. Of course, you are into coding while I am not, so I can't speak to that end, but in terms of power and stabillity it wasn't even close.

Perhaps the 98 GUI looked a little better, but 9.2 could be customized to look any way you want. 98 was wysiwyg, and that wasn't much.

As for 3.1, that shit was TERRIBLE! It wasn't even a real OS. I had PLENTY of DOS menus that worked so much better that I avoided it like the plague.
    Alright
    Yeah...

I've loved Macs for a long time, but at the time when I was starting into computer stuff, I couldn't afford a Mac. So, I got a PC, and through the years, suffered my way through Win3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME (gag), and finally had a sigh of relief when I got XP. I would love to have both a Mac and a WinPC (I'm not giving up on the old girl), but I just don't have the room for two computers in my apartment. Besides that, I spend too much time with this one. How bad would it get if I had two computers to feed and groom?
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

Yeah, that ME was a disaster!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Disclaimer: I am a business user, not a music user.

I have several pc's and a dual G5 in my office, and the mac freaking drives me nuts. Nothing is where I want it to be and the stupid finder blows. Windows Explorer, imnsho, kicks finder's heiny. And the one button mac mouse has always sucked (I have plugged in a "normal" three button usb mouse in the the mac, so at least I don't have that problem)

The UI is more consistant on a mac, since that's the way mac people like it, so I can't fault them there. Windows apps succom to the whim of the designer, and all developers think differently, so sometimes it can be a pain to figure out an app. But for the most part I like ssh'ing in to my mac do what I need to do via the commandline.

The only thing that a mac has that gives me envy is the battery life on the new i-books. Those things last for ever. There was this lady next to me on a flight from San Fransisco to Boston who was typing on an i-book. She had been going for about two hours when I asked her how much battery life was left. She didn't know how to figure it out, so I borrowed the touchpad for a sec and showed her. There was more than four and a half hours left. That's quite a battery...

For business applications, and programming in general, I will stick with my PC. Mind you I just finished making the Mac installer for ColdFusion 7, so I do actually use macs regularly (and lots of different flavors of linux, solaris, windows, and some other psycho OS's like AIX and HPUX)

there we go, just right. keep walking...

A 1 button mouse? In OS X on a G5? Who stole your mouse man? Macs have been shipping with a 2-button mouse since Blue & White G3s! That's like since 1998 man!!!
    Alright
    Yeah...

Oh wait, you DON'T have a 1-button mouse. You're just complaining about a Mac problem that was solved nearly 10 years ago!

And BTW...what "business" programs are you running that aren't available AND MORE STABLE in OS X? Surely it's not Macromedia stuff, 'cause I have all of that on BOTH platforms.
    Alright
    Yeah...

The windows versions of most macromedia products are more powerful, actually. There are features that are not in the mac versions, but it's not them that I use.

Mostly programming apps like Delphi, Visual Studio, and Homesite for which there is no Mac equivalent.

there we go, just right. keep walking...

Well, maybe they're more powerful, that's thanx to the programmers, but they're not more stable, that's thanx to the OS!

I know nothing about coding or programming, but I know the bread and butter of my business, which is music, graphics and video. Hardware to hardware, Mac is DESTROYING Wintel right now...this CANNOT be denied! On the OS side, OS X is DESTROYING Win XP as well.

And besides, your complaints about the Mac appear to be purely asthetic, which I understand since I use both platforms so much. There are simple little things on both that I wish the other would implement. But, the fact that you thought Mac's still used a 1-button mouse shows that you have definitely not given them a chance.

BTW, ever try to search for a particular file using Windows? I have 2 120 gig drives in my PC and it can take a good 5 minutes to finish. I have an 80, a 160 and a 300 gig on my Mac, it literally takes like 5 seconds!
    Alright
    Yeah...

coz, are you saying my imac may have a two button? i thought they were gonna put a single in.. ill have to check.. either way i need a scroll wheel so... i cant wait either way
    "One day the absurdity of the almost universal human belief in the slavery of other animals will be palpable. We shall then have discovered our souls and become worthier of sharing this planet with them."
    ~Martin Luther King Jr.

You too huh! LOL!!!
    Alright
    Yeah...

the one button on a laptop is the onlyreason i wont get a mac for my mobile. I have to have 2 buttons and scroll intragrated.

I know nothing about coding or programming, but I know the bread and butter of my business, which is music, graphics and video. Hardware to hardware, Mac is DESTROYING Wintel right now...this CANNOT be denied! On the OS side, OS X is DESTROYING Win XP as well.
    "Outrunning,"; yes, but definitely not "destroying". I've noticed that Mac evangelists have a grand tendency toward the use of hyperbole.
    A Windows PC is going to retain a foothold in the power user market, not by virtue of its own stats, but by virtue of its ubiquity, which drives its pricing lower and lower, and its tinkerability, which makes it interesting for people like me, who like playing with building blocks. PC hardware is so common, that I can build a state-of-the-art system from off-the-shelf parts (with many more bells & whistles) for less than a third of the price that I would pay for a high-end Mac, and as far as processing speed, there just ain't a big enough library of 64-bit native applications out there yet to make the gap in CPU performance all that noticeable.
    I love the elegance of a Mac, but until there comes something that makes pricing comparable, people in general won't be able to justify choosing a Mac over a PC unless they are hip-deep in an industry (like Hollywood or the Graphic Design community) that is dependent on Macs, and thus, there won't be any "destroying" going on.
    But keep spreading the Mac gospel, Coz. One day, thanks to you, people may learn that Macs come with two button mice. Of course, they may say, "...but my PC trackball has five buttons, and a scroll wheel!",
    but, hey-- that's life.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

0k hold on on my macs i run a kensington turbo pro trackball button mouse scroll and 6 web buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by eternals layre
    the one button on a laptop is the onlyreason i wont get a mac for my mobile. I have to have 2 buttons and scroll intragrated.
    Agreed! It pisses me off on my I-Book as well!
    Alright
    Yeah...

+ Reply to Thread