+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whats new with everyone?

I have an internship this summer working closely with an attorney (actually going to court) so that will be exciting, and just getting ready to start my last year of law school.
    Don't let them change you inside, cause anyone who matters will try to understand who you are.

When you always stay in self-incarceration...I think it's such a shame.

I made a pilgrimage to save this human race, never comprehending the race was long gone by.

Rappers today are in it for the money, not the love.
    I feel ya, Coz. And what's worse is that most don't even know how to do something constructive with the money they make.
    Buy a Hummer today, live in it next year.

Straying from the subject of Hip-Hop and into the realm of Pop-- I remember the days when Pop was not necessarily a bad thing. Back when I was a kid, I used to love New Edition (in fact, I still do.) However, these days, I cringe when I hear a boy band.
    Record companies remind me of pharmaceutical companies-- taking a living plant with healing qualities and isolating the plant's essence, in an attempt to magnify its benefits. The end product is a drug that has a long list of debilitating side effects that the whole plant won't cause.
    The record companies started with a mission to synthesize New Edition, a natural, organic boy band. After several distillations, they introduced N*Sync, which despite its side effects of severe nausea, headaches and numbness in the extremities, sold millions due to aggressive, shrewd marketing.
    "What, Wheeljak? You fell in that open manhole?
    How is that possible?
    I posted 'CAUTION: OPEN MANHOLE' on my Facebook page!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeljak
    I feel ya, Coz. And what's worse is that most don't even know how to do something constructive with the money they make.
    Buy a Hummer today, live in it next year.

Straying from the subject of Hip-Hop and into the realm of Pop-- I remember the days when Pop was not necessarily a bad thing. Back when I was a kid, I used to love New Edition (in fact, I still do.) However, these days, I cringe when I hear a boy band.
    Record companies remind me of pharmaceutical companies-- taking a living plant with healing qualities and isolating the plant's essence, in an attempt to magnify its benefits. The end product is a drug that has a long list of debilitating side effects that the whole plant won't cause.
    The record companies started with a mission to synthesize New Edition, a natural, organic boy band. After several distillations, they introduced N*Sync, which despite its side effects of severe nausea, headaches and numbness in the extremities, sold millions due to aggressive, shrewd marketing.
    "Rappers are in it for the money, not the love"

if that isnt the most obvoius thing about it all.. then i dont know what is..

in fact, i think just about everyone who knows hip hop today knows thats the only reason.. its a manufactured sound, and as long as people are eating it up.. there will be plenty more from the source.
    -TheXodus-

The problem with the current state of music is the dimensions of the songs.

For example, just about everything that hits the charts are a one-dimensional song. They are only for first impressions. The context and quality of the songs in terms of developing over time decreases..

2nd and 3rd dimensional songs are very important to me Because I want to hear something that is gonna age with grace. These songs now only show a thin surface. this is directed toward all genre's of music.. If artists dont add those angles that make a song last, then you get what we are currently getting...

I dont need a nice drum beat to make me groove to it.. i dont need a single element to please me.. and if its not there. i dont disband it.. thats a foolish and non intelligent way to approach music..
    -TheXodus-

Quote Originally Posted by sdldawn
    The problem with the current state of music is the dimensions of the songs.

For example, just about everything that hits the charts are a one-dimensional song. They are only for first impressions. The context and quality of the songs in terms of developing over time decreases..

2nd and 3rd dimensional songs are very important to me Because I want to hear something that is gonna age with grace. These songs now only show a thin surface. this is directed toward all genre's of music.. If artists dont add those angles that make a song last, then you get what we are currently getting...

I dont need a nice drum beat to make me groove to it.. i dont need a single element to please me.. and if its not there. i dont disband it.. thats a foolish and non intelligent way to approach music..
    I wholeheartedly agree and have complained about it loudly for some time. It seems that the art of songwriting has died a slow and agonizing death...right along that of musicianship.

I will disagree about it applying to all genres of music though. Dance music is just that, music that's supposed to make you dance. If it doesn't have a good beat then it's a total waste of time.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

[QUOTE=sdldawn]The problem with the current state of music is the dimensions of the songs.

2nd and 3rd dimensional songs are very important to me Because I want to hear something that is gonna age with grace.
    Pardon me for saying so, but that is a stodgy thing to say. Some of the most timeless songs are very simple, even simplistic.
    Example: Listen to "Fingertips" by Little Stevie Wonder; it's just him riffing on his harmonica, while backed by a repetitive groove from a stage band. Toward the end of the song, Stevie even quotes "Mary Had a Little Lamb," a song that is so simple, that it's usually the first song people learn on an instrument. However, as simple as "Fingertips" is, it grabs the listener, and won't let go.
    How is that possible?

"Pardon me for saying so, but that is a stodgy thing to say. Some of the most timeless songs are very simple, even simplistic.
    Example: Listen to "Fingertips" by Little Stevie Wonder; it's just him riffing on his harmonica, while backed by a repetitive groove from a stage band. Toward the end of the song, Stevie even quotes "Mary Had a Little Lamb," a song that is so simple, that it's usually the first song people learn on an instrument. However, as simple as "Fingertips" is, it grabs the listener, and won't let go."

no no, we are on a different page.. Im not talking about simplicity.. simplistic songs CAN have 2 or 3 deminsional elements.. im talking about the songwriting and quality.. simpliticity has its importance too.. some of the best songs in the world are simplistic...
    -TheXodus-

Coz said Quote:
    "I will disagree about it applying to all genres of music though. Dance music is just that, music that's supposed to make you dance. If it doesn't have a good beat then it's a total waste of time. "

Agreed, I shouldnt have said all genre's.. i wasnt even thinking about Dance
    -TheXodus-

Yeah, and you have to remember that MOST music is Dance music.
    Alright
    Tap the lightpole and we'll be jammin all night
    And ain't nobody callin' the cops
    'Cause everybody's here freakin', if they're older they're doin the rock
    And every block from all around
    Comes runnin' to the park when they hear the sound
    And soon the word's spreadin' through our part of town
    "Yo, 40 Park y'all, Jam-On's gettin down"
    Yeah...

Jam-On Productions:Website Forum

Intelligent Posts :11

except yours...

Quote Originally Posted by Coz
    Yeah, and you have to remember that MOST music is Dance music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    except yours...
    Yeah, I hear that Chief will only dance to Hilary Duff.
    Well, maybe "dance" isn't the right word. It's more like doing clumsy pirouettes while crying.
    How is that possible?

can

wow... that would be interesting to watch....a little disturbing, but interesting nonetheless

Intelligent Posts :11

*ponders wheeljaks future*

+ Reply to Thread